Congrats Tennessee

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by IrishCorey, Nov 22, 2008.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

The best team in the state, 200 years running.

Seriously, good win over the 'Dores.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm sure Tom, Cindy and Aquilla are glad for the win but won't really be glad till the new coach is introduced. Which sure seems like it is going to be Brian Kelly.

3. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Thanks guys. We just finished watching the game. We were helping some old friends move. If anything will make you feel older than you are, it's helping someone else move. :?

4. IrishCorey

we lost to Syracuse....

I'll take that bet :D

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Try getting smoked by Baylor...

:oops:

6. IrishCorey

Scott wins!

7. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

Thanks for the congrats about the W against Vandy. I work with a serious Tennessee hater (actually he hates "American" football altogether, I think he thinks he's European despite the fact he's from Kingsport, TN, that's all beside the point) and I'm not sure he would have ever let me forget it if a loss to Vandy was added to the pile of misfortune this year. I certainly think that we (A&M, ND, and Tenn. fans) can empathize with one another. What a year!!!

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I suspect Kentucky will go down too.

The Vols don't lose much in November no matter how bad they have been playing prior to.

Lose to Wyoming but beat Vandy and Kentucky.......go figure.

9. Tennessee Tom

Don't jump on our side Dave. You have single handedly alienated us SEC fans from the fans every other conference on this board. We Tennessee fans don need, nor want, nor accept your support. :?

10. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

To a degree unfamiliarity versus familiarity has an impact. It can be a double-edged sword.

11. Tennessee Tom

Starting a new topic is proving difficult this morning so this seems to be the most appropriate topic for this announcement:

The next Tennessee coach may very well be Lane Kiffin.

12. Scott88

So Tom, what are your thoughts on LK?

13. Tennessee Tom

LK was not at the top of my list. He may be better than anyone else but other Pro coaches have found it hard to make a transition into college just like some great college coaches found it difficult to make it in the Pros.

14. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

I largely agree with your sentiments about the transition from the pros to the college ranks, Tom. However, I think you have to consider the fact that this guy had great success in college as an offensive coordinator under Pete Carroll at USC. The stint in the NFL was short-lived thanks to Al Davis. I have a feeling I'm going to be thanking Al Davis a lot over the coming years as I like the hire a lot if it comes to fruition.

There are a lot of success stories about guys who have deep roots in the college game, going to the pros, and then coming back. Look at Carroll, Saban, and even Butch Davis. I think that the pros-to-college thing is a non-issue here. I also like the fact that Ed Orgeron is rumored to be coming aboard as D-Coord. Although I don't think Tenn. has a serious problem on Defense with Chavis, imagine the recruits these two guys can pull to Knoxville. Orgeron recruited great TO OLE MISS!!!! I think this hire could work out well.

15. Tennessee Tom

Agreed... however, ask the ND guys here about the transition from Pro to College.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Or ask Neb fans how the loved their NFL coach. Of course in Kiffins case he was only a coach for a short time in the NFL, where as guys like Weis and Callahan were long time NFL coaches.

I think the issue is that as a Pro coach you have your players 7 days 8 hours a day, not that they actually work those hours. But the point is you can have a big film session in the morning and then have a 4 hour practice in the afternoon. There are no limits. Whereas in college you have that 20 hour/week limit, plus your players are really just learning the game compared to 5-10 year NFL vets. So a guy who has a big time NFL offense can't really run it in college, oh he can implement some of it but not all of it. So he has to dumb things down and learn to get things done in 20 hrs instead of 40 hrs and he has to deal with academics, kids who are homesick,...kids!

I'm not eager for another NFL coach. I'll be interested to see if Mike Sherman works out at A&M, alhthough Mike had extensive college experience before he moved to the NFL.

17. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

TOK,
    I think the Sherman example would hold the most weight. You make some valid points about the difference in the college game and the pro game but we're not talking about a guy in Kiffin who has been out of the college "swing of things" for 10 years, or even 5 years, for that matter. Add to that the fact that he helped build the beast that is USC and the fact that he is a great recruiter who is young and energetic, and then also don't forget the fact that if he assembles half the staff that is being rumored, I think Tennessee is going to be in great shape.

IMO, the worst case scenario is a situation similar to what Bama had with Shula minus the NCAA sanctions. I think Kiffin & staff will pack Knoxville with top athletes starting with maintaining what is left of the super class for this year. Then, in 4 or 5 years if no serious progress is being made, he's a stepping stone guy to bigger and better things. It's rare that a program makes a change like this one and gets it right THE FIRST TIME. Ask the Bama, Irish, and Gator fans here. I think it is important for Tennessee fans to give whomever the new coach is a little time before they start stoking the fire under his seat.

18. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Let's not forget Pete Carroll, nobody does it better.

19. Scott88

To be honest I wasn't interested in a pro coach either.
    Sherman has a VERY tough row to hoe... much more so than any of the other guys mentioned here.
    He inherited a program with a few really good skill players, and NOTHING else. The lines are void of talent past the freshman level, and those are scarce.

I will give him credit for completely scrapping the West Coast offense he wanted to run, and going with a spread to get his QB in the shotgun.
    Since the line can't block, that at least gives the QB time to throw it away!
    :x

It also doesn't help that we're sandwiched into the toughest division in the country this year (que MCG! :) ).

Tennessee on the other hand almost certainly has a nice load of talent socked away just waiting for a guy that knows where to put the pieces. That's really the key.
    Callahan tried to make too radical a change too fast. That was almost guaranteed to fail.
    Weis may be expecting 40 hour results out of 20 hours of work as Terry alluded. Sounds like he just needs a little Keep It Simple Stupid...

Whoever Tenn gets you should know by the spring game if the new guy is trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.
    If he is... you've got NFL to NCAA syndrome.
    If not, you've got reason to be excited.

:p

20. Tennessee Tom

You are partially correct Scott. ... only partially though. I am not absolutely certain what happened to recruiting. However, our usual top 10 to top 20 classes have not been there the past several years. I am not so certain how full we are right now.

If we get the right guy, that won't matter. I would rather get 3 star players and develop them than to get 5 star players and waste them.