College Football Week 14

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Getting close to the end of the * season!!

All games listed are subject to Covid cancellation!

1. Alabama at LSU ...I see a lot of pain for Eddie O, I fear for the safety of the LSU QB's

2. Notre Damve vs Syracuse ...should be a routine win. Hopefully the team doesn't take it for granted and shows up motivated and respectful that if you don't even a Syracuse can give you a problem....just like a bad Louisville team did early in the season.

3. Ohio State at Michigan State ...Buckeyes are praying that this game comes off, as I said in another topic, I'd bet that if Ryan Day can only send a partial team and a few coaches to E.Lansing that he'll want to play this game.

4. Clemson at Va.Tech ...Dabo might finally be over the FSU deal and focus on the game at hand, Trevor didn't look rusty last weekend vs Pitt.

5. Texas A&M at Auburn. Both teams thoroughly beaten at Tuscaloosa by the Tide. So this is a dangerous game for the Aggies playoff hopes, they need the good Kellen Mond back this weekend.

6. Florida at Tenn ...a once great rivalry isn't much right now, Jeremy Pruitt is on the ropes in Knoxville after a good finish last season. Gators don't have to worry about them Orange britches or things like that. Spurrier loved poking at the Vols. Trask and the Gators will be able to name the score.

7. Cincinnati at Temple ...canc

8. BYU...still searching for a game.

9. Miami at Duke ...if it happens. Duke was supposed to play FSU, but that game is cancelled so the Hurricanes were sent to Duke so they'd have a game to play.

10. Indiana at Wisconsin...can you believe that Wisconsin has only played 3 games. Critical game for the complicated Big 10 Championship game senarios. IU will be without Michael Penix the QB who got them to this point. Wisconsin will be at full strength.

Other games.

Stanford at Washington. Puppies are undefeated and Stanford is not a good team this year. Washington in drivers seat for Pac12 Championship game.

Texas at KState ...maybe the last game of the Texas career of Tom Herman. Rumors are that KU doesn't want to play next week. I have a feeling that both Texas and KState players are probably ready for the season to be over for different reasons though.

Neb at Purdue....ScoFro needs to get a win!

Penn State at RU ...wining streak for the NIT's???

Liberty at Costal Carolina ...big Group of 5 game. CC having a magical year, the Hugh Freeze coached Liberty team has also been impressive. CC is a top 25 team.

West Virginia at Iowa State...very important game for the Cyclones, West Virginia has a good defense, Cyclones need to follow up that big win over Texas in Austin and win this game to lock up the trip to the Big 12 Championship game.

Tulsa at Navy ..Tulsa and Cincy on a collison course for the AAC, but the Midshipmen are never to be taken lightly even though this Navy team is not what we've seen in recent years.

Maryland at Michigan. Not sure if this game will be played. Michigan has Covid problems and could be done, what isn't known though if Michigan can play Ohio State. That would be a bad way to end a difficult season for the Big 10.

The whole Big 10 is complicated, they have a 6 game min to qualify for the Championship game. But that could dip to 5 if enough games are cancelled. Also there is that crossover game that all the teams are supposed to play the same weekend as the championship game. So if the # stays at 6 and Ohio State ends up with 5 reg season games and IU goes to the Championship while Ohio State plays somebody in the west and finishes the season 6-0. How will the committee handle a great Ohio State team that only played 6 games and other teams that have played 10 or 11 games?

2. Terry O'Keefe

Sid just posted about IU backup Jack Tuttle. He seems to have an excellent resume' and we'll see if Tom Allen can get him ready for Wisconsin.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Maybe Bob, Don and/or Stu can shed some light on all the permutations for the end of the Big 10 season! Like I said it's complicated.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Northwestern/Minnesota game ...cancelled.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Hope you are right about Florida and Tennessee. A win here would cinch the East for the Gators and there is a good chance our game with LSU would not be played next week.

On a side note I read that the SEC has decided if the championship game gets cancelled the winner of the West and the winner of the East would be declared co champions.

Lets hope that doesn't happen.

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Terry, if three B10/games are played in the next two weeks, a B10 team, to be eligible for the title game. would have to have played six games. Assuming that, Wisky is out in the West and NW is in the title game even if they lose another game since they win the tiebreaker against Iowa . In the East, OSU is out (and Hoosiers in) unless OSU play both of their remaining games and win at least 1 as they own the tb against Indy,

If the six game rule is waived because the average number of played games for B10 teams was < 6, 1 loss NW is still in the driver’s seat in the West since they win the tb against 1 loss Wisky. OSU would be the East representative.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I sure hope that by next season we start on time, don't have a zillion cancelled games and things are normal.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Bill I have seen similar talk about the ACC championship. Cancel it and declare ND conference Champ and assume that both ND and Clemson would make the CFP, rather than play and take a chance that Clemson loses again and then that 2nd loss knocks them out of the CFP

9. Terry O'Keefe

ACC Network has announced that all games scheduled for Dec 12th have been put on a 6 day hold. Don't know what that means but I wonder if the ACC is going to declare the season over after this weekends game and just go with the ND/Clemson Champ game on the 19th.

If the Mich State/Ohio State game is played Saturday, Ryan Day will not be there.

Sun Bowl has been cancelled. I'll bet a lot of bowls are not going to be played.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Another Texas player, DB Caden Sterns, quit on the Longhorns. Opting out of the rest of the games to begin prep for the NFL.

11. Terry O'Keefe

The Sun Bowl, played in each of the previous 86 seasons, is tied for the second-longest consecutively played postseason bowl game, behind only the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual, which has been played annually since 1916.

The Sun Bowl is the ninth bowl game canceled because of COVID-19; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe and Redbox bowls are the others.

The Sun Bowl pits teams from the ACC and Pac-12. The ACC has now lost four bowl games that it had tie-ins with (Fenway, Holiday, Pinstripe and Sun); the Pac-12 has lost three (Holiday, Redbox and Sun).

12. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio State has resumed football activities today and naturally hopes to play at Michigan State on Saturday. I wonder how many players the Buckeyes will be able to take to E.Lansing?

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

No figures are currently being released by the Buckeyes Terry.

14. Terry O'Keefe

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Check the real estate brokers.

16. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Urban's wife Shelly says she will divorce him if he goes toTexas. Urban is too smart to do that so the Big Money best search elsewhere.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Bob Stoops stepped up and helped Lincoln Riley and the Sooners, due to Covid issues they needed an extra hand coaching/preparing the team.

Also Stanford will be a road team for a few weeks, they can't practice or play in Palo Alto so they left today for Seattle and will prepare for Washington there and then motor down to Corvallis and prep for Oregon State.

As far as the Urban Meyer stuff, the people at Texas seem to think there is definitely a conversation going on between Urban and the Longhorns. Whether or not he'll pull the trigger of course is anybody's guess. If it's me and I've had to leave my last 2 jobs due to health issues, I might think of staying retired. He doesn't need the money that's for sure.

The talk though is that the next guy will have Power 5 head coaching experience or the equivalent. Which brings up the potential of an NFL guy being brought in, unless it's Matt Rhule deciding that 1 year in the NFL has made him appreciate college football I'm not sure an NFL guy is the answer.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio State is the X-Factor in this years playoffs. Clearly a great team. But their lack of games is going to be an issue, esp if they can't play MSU this weekend or even worse if the Michigan game goes south. The best they can do is 7-0, teams like Cincy can get to 10-0, BYU will likely get to 10-0, Texas A&M could get to 8-1 and maybe 9-1 if they go ahead and play a postponed game on 12-19.

What if Ohio State ends up at 5-0? 6-0? The eye test says that the Buckeyes are likely one of the top 4 teams in the NCAA. Is that going to be the standard?

19. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

That's going to be tough to swallow if they were to get in at 5-0, and that's not because I'd want the 9-1 Aggies in ahead of them.
    I think some kind of standard has to be held and 5 games sure wouldn't be it.
    The BIG screwed their members with the late start, and the crazy rules they implemented... it was almost dead from the start. I think there needs to be a cost for those decisions. I'd feel bad for the schools and their teams... they didn't want it this way but it is what it is. Perhaps this will cause them to change their leadership?...
    Hopefully OSU gets in those two games and this is moot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Michigan vs Maryland Cancelled.