College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well we're going to have a season! Watched some of the SMU game today.

So new topic is needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

They started already? I missed it!
    DOH! :confused:

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Watching the Ark St Memphis game and Memphis scored with less than a minute to go in the first half. They now lead the game 21-14. Marshall and Army won by wide margins earlier in the day.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Next week's SMU/TCU game canceled by TCU due to the virus, possibly will be rescheduled.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Watched college football 1969! The big game was of course Texas v Arkansas with President Nixon in attendance. It was such a different time that he sat in the stands with the regular fans!

The score was 15 - 14 in favor of the Longhorns. That much I remember. I also remember that with time short and down 6, 4th and 2 from about their own 40, they throw the ball down field to a well covered receiver, but the ball was perfectly thrown. That wasn't the strength of the Texas Wishbone offense to say the least. They go on to score and win.

What I didn't remember was that we had 2 ints and 4 fumbles... Not very often you win a big game with that many turnovers!

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I have a hard time watching old games that I know the outcome, except for the epic ones like the Texas - Arkansas game you mention. I usually watch especially the great individual plays. I always thought that a great passing qb that could also run would make the wishbone/triple option unstoppable, forcing a cornerback to play run on every play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I watch mostly epic games kp, those Iron Bowls that I watched I actually didn't remember the outcomes when I watched them.

BTW...BYU/Navy tonight. Was going to be ND/Navy but the ACC affiliation dictated that we start the season next weekend.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Not college ...but my great nephew, Ben Harris, got off to a good start Friday night. His Carl Albert team won their opener. Ben is a now a 4 year starter at QB, has only lost 1 game in his HS career and has won 3 state championships....going for 4. They have a good team again and should be in the hunt for the 4th. He hasn't gotten many offers though, no Div 1. All FCS teams so far and only a few of them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

No SEC games of course this week, just ACC and B12
    Clemson and Wake Forrest
    Duke and Notre Dame
    UNC and Syracuse
    OU and Missouri State
    Texas and UTEP

Those are the big games.

10. Terry O'Keefe

State of Maryland denied the Naval Academy request to have the Brigade of Midshipmen at the game.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Navy looks bad on both sides of the ball.

12. Don Ballard

Oddsmaker were way off on this one!

13. Scott88

Hey... at least we're playing!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I see that in interviews after the BYU game the Navy coach said that the play was on him and he did not let the team do any live hitting in practice leading up to the game. It showed! That Navy offense is predicated on speed and fast decisions and they looked plodding last night. Granted they have a new QB and last years QB was an absolute magician and he was a legit 4.3 speed. He was awesome at making the decisions on keeping or pitching.

Army didn't have that problem in their game with Middle Tenn State of course that's not BYU either.

I thought it interesting that they said 60% of the BYU team had been on a 2 year mission. So that means that they are a more mature team than your typical college team and it makes a difference on the lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

One of the games I'll be interested in seeing how it works out is the Miami/UAB game. Miami has former Houston Cougar QB D'Eriq King as the starter. This kid is electric and a playmaker, somewhat in the same mould as Kyler Murray. He kept Fla starter, Kyle Trask, on the bench his whole HS career because he was so dynamic in HS as a QB, his team beat Jalen Hurts team in their Senior year in the playoffs.

Friday's game with SMU/TCU is postponed due to Covid, as is La.Tech/Baylor, and Oklahoma State/Tulsa was moved to next weekend again due to Covid issues. This is likely to be a weekly thing where teams won't play as scheduled.

In the B12 unless you have 53 players ready to play, including 7 OL, 4DL, and 1 QB you can cancel the game.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Always interesting to see who has the most players on NFL final rosters to open the season ( 53 Man roster). Alabama and Ohio State at the top is not a surprise. But look down and see that Clemson has 29 compared to the over 50 for both of those two teams, yet they've won a couple of Nat'l Championships. I'm a little surprised to see Penn State and Miami in the top 10 though.

Alabama 56
    Ohio State 50
    LSU 41
    Florida 39
    Michigan 33
    Georgia 32
    Penn State 32
    Miami (Fla.) 30
    Clemson 29
    Notre Dame 29
    Oklahoma 29
    Florida State 28
    Iowa 28
    Washington 28
    Stanford 27
    Texas A&M 27
    Auburn 25
    Texas 25
    UCLA 25
    Wisconsin 25

17. Don Ballard

Terry, Clemson has been on a tear the last five seasons, their draft picks will improve in the coming years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

With the first big weekend coming up, starting with UAB in South Beach playing Miami, a lot of fans are really fired up to see some football. This year is so different, it's impacted my anticipation. I'm glad to see it start, but I have a lot of trepidation about the season and whether or not it will be finished. Will the teams get to play all their games, already we've had some cancellations. I am not sure how my teams are going to play, they weren't prepared for this season the same way they were prepared for any other season in their life, how's that going to impact things.

I have a little bit of dread of things that might happen. But I'll be on the couch Sat at 1:30 CT to watch ND play Duke!

19. Scott88

I selected my seats for the season this morning.
    I usually get 4 seats, but since the girls aren't going to games with us anymore , and Kesley is opting out of the season I dropped down to a pair for this year.
    25K in attendance is going to be weird.
    Or normal if you're a Big 12 school!
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Is A&M going to allow tailgating Scott?

I see that LSU has banned tailgating on campus and will be at 25K fans.

Everybody is mandating masks to enter the stadium. But with 25K or so fans spread out in 100K stadiums you know that fans will take them off, not sure how they can really police it without it getting ugly.

It's the same thing for tailgating. One thing to ban the big tailgates I've seen at every college game I've been to over the years, but what if you and your wife bring a cooler of beer and sandwiches and sit on your tailgate and eat and drink before the game. Surely they won't give you trouble for that, if the car next to you is doing the same thing you might even start talking to them, what next everybody around you is talking and you've never met them before just parked next to them at the lot. Are they going to step in and put a stop to it? That could get dicey as well.