Clausen Cited by Excise Police?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Too bad a college student who wants to enjoy the college experience, has to be under the microscope all the time.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070818/Sports/708180383/0/COLLEGE

Don

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Strange law and I guess you could read into it some degree of "intent to party". :D

However....as Krebs would most certainly say it looks like the young man has broken the law of the state of Indiana and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent...right George?

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

My son-in-law is an Indiana Excise policeman. I have a pretty good idea from talking to him how they operate. Their normal modus operandi is to respond to complaints. It might have been a neighbor of the store who has seen numerous similar incidents. It might have been the university trying to set the tone at the beginning of the year. Who knows? The important thing is that it sends a message to underage students to stay away from the liquor stores even if you are only sitting in the car. I don't have a problem with it at all.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed in Clausen's judgement, and it gives me pause about how smart a kid he really is. I guess time will tell. I'm glad we have depth and talent at the position and that we have the kid from CA coming in next year.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We don't have that law in Texas. I assume that they have a rule that allows an underage kid to drive his mom for smokes and beer, right? :)

What I wonder is who the 23 y/o was and if why is Clausen hanging around with 23 y/o's?

Terry

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I am shocked to think a 18-19 year old college student might have anything to do with alcohol.

Terry, when I was in college as a young freshman we certainly had 23 year olds around, especially in our Fraternity. But I imagine that he was with the 23 year old because he was the one who could legally buy the booze?

:twisted: :twisted:

6. Motorcity Gator

" am shocked to think a 18-19 year old college student might have anything to do with alcohol."

....toungue firmly planted in cheek right Bill?

When I went to the U of F the legal age for drinking was 18..... :p :oops:

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

MCG,

We all know what he was doing. I think he was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, was he not?

8. Motorcity Gator

"The older man paid his infraction ticket, and Clausen entered a pretrial diversion program with the St. Joseph County prosecutor's office, said Linda Scopelitis, who directs the program.

Under the terms of the agreement, signed on July 11, Clausen agreed to pay a $170 fee and to not commit a similar offense for a year, Scopelitis said.

If Clausen meets those terms, he will not face a misdemeanor charge for the June incident, she said. But if he is cited for the same offense within a year, he will face two misdemeanor charges.

Such diversion agreements generally require people to perform community service or attend alcohol education programs as well, Scopelitis said, adding that the prosecutor's office relies on the university to provide alcohol education for its students who enter the diversion program."

Right you are George.....

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

When I was at ND we had the older guys like Sid who'd help us out. When I'd come to visit my kids at ND I'd bring a 12 pack or two. As far as I'm concerned, it's part of growing up.
    And when I was in college the drinking age in NY was 18. I'd drink legally when I was home and then find out that I was years away from being legal in Indiana. Strange times.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Let's focus on the real problem here. The kid is in the midst of his first preseason with great expectations of him, and he pariticipates in the purchase of a huge quantity of "party" alcohol? Stupid, stupid, stupid! If I'm the coach, he pays a huge price for his stupidity in the form of a lengthy suspension. And that's assuming the university doesn't so anything first. It's one thing to be a "typical" college student. It's quite another to be living in arguably the biggest college football fishbowl in the country and to let down your teammates by ingesting huge quantities of alcohol and hindering your reflexes and judgement. Some will say, how do you know that? I don't, but where there's smoke..........

11. whobedis

whobedis New Member

Common Sid... cut the kid some slack....thats what the stadium steps are for! :) I'm with Gip, I remember going out to Long Island in 68 for my older brothers wedding to a lovely girl of Italian descent 8) In Ohio at the time you could get 3.2 beer if 18 and 21 for the hard stuff, Ihad close to $600.00 on me to buy booze for the frat I was pledging and my high school buddies. Gip that was a Terrific 5 day stay for this Ohio bumpkin :lol:

12. Gator Bill

Sid, I think that would be way to harsh.

I'm with Gipper except my parents didn't help me out.

When I went to UF Gainesville was dry as to hard liquor. But you could get a beer in the bar if you were tall enough to put the money on the bar.

Also one of our Fraternity bro's would make a run to the county line where there was a liquor store there named County Line if I remember correctly.

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I understand all the stories about what we did as young bucks. I was no exception. But none of us was Jimmy Clausen Superstar. Legal and traditional good old college boy issues aside, I don't like it one bit for one simple reason. It showed very poor judgement from someone who is supposed to be evolving into a leadership role. I'll guaran-damn-tee you Coach Weis is not excusing him with a boys-will-be-boys attitude.

14. Gator Bill

Sid, I understand what you are saying and agree. I just think that suspending him for any length of time would be to harsh.

15. Terry O'Keefe

So far no comment by Weiss on either Clausen or on Darrell Hand.

FWIW in the infamous Boat Club incident where Super Star Troy Murphy not only was caught underage drinking but with a fake id, resulted in the following.

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bill, He can thank his lucky stars that I'm not his coach. :wink: Seriously, I see your point. I'm just really po'd that the kid would do something so stupid and risk bringing such negative attention on himself to the detriment of the team chemistry. It knocks him down several notches in my eyes.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Bill I can vouch that Sid is tough, I sat next to him during a football game and I missed a few words of a cheer and was bannished from the stands for a quarter!! :)

Terry

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

As I recall Clausen was early admission and was at the school last semester. I figure he's been around the block for a while.

19. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

ATTN: WHOBEDIS

Your registered e-mail address is returning mail to the Skybox system. You chose to receive e-mails sent to you when replies are received in this topic. cowboyinc@prodigy.net is returning those e-mails.

Please enter a valid address or determine what is wrong with this one. The system does make accounts inactive upon receipt of too many of these returned e-mails.

A Skybox private mail message is also being sent regarding this.

20. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

What in the world were the other guys in that dorm thinking? They sent a 23 year-old to buy the liquor supply for the party. So far, so good. Nothing illegal about that. But then they sent along one of the friggen football players to help him carry it, (?) and one of the QBs at that! This is amazingly poor planning by someone back at the dorm. Whoever their local dorm-Bluto is owes an apology to everybody...