Championship Week.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So first question is why the hell is Fla State still playing? They host La. Monroe this Sat.

Obviously a huge weekend for the CFP. To many permutations to even discuss it would seem.

SEC Auburn vs UGA Auburn is the hot team no doubt, but they have played 2 big emotional games at home. Is their tank still full, UGA has not played a big emotional game since the Auburn loss. Playoffs aren't always about who has the best regular season, it's often about who is hot at the end of the season.

ACC Clemson vs Miami. I have a feeling that Miami is not as good as their record and that while the Pitt game could be excused, just as the Syracuse game for Clemson. But it would seem that Clemson is the more experienced team in this situation and Miami won't have that big home field advantage that a huge crowd in Hard Rock Stadium gave them vs Va.Tech and ND.

Big10 Wisc vs Ohio State. Wisc has been disrespected all year, weak schedule, etc. But those guys look pretty good when I have seen them play. Ohio State has way more talent and certainly a more experienced team and while Paul Chryst is an excellent coach, he doesn't have the resume of Urban Meyer.

Pac12 USC vs Stanford. Both these teams are hot right now, and this is a rematch of an earlier blowout of Stanford by USC. It's tough to beat a team twice. No impact though on the CFP. Should be a great game.

Big12 TCU vs OU. Will Baker Mayfield be on his best behavior? I don't really give TCU much of a chance here, they are a good team, but OU is on a mission.

AAC Memphis vs UCF ..gurus are saying first team to 50 wins. I would imagine that UCF has the edge here but don't really know. Memphis has lost a game and UCF has not, so there's that. Scott Frost will no doubt be wearing a Black Shirt underneath his UCF gear. I wonder if he'll coach UCF through the bowl game esp if they get a New Years 6 invite.

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The La. Monroe game was rescheduled from Sept. to Dec because of the hurricane and for FSU to keep its bowl streak intact.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/1/16596430/florida-state-bowl-streak-1981-ulm-reschedule

3. Terry O'Keefe

OK gotta keep the streak alive and I guess for La. Monroe they get a check they missed in Sept. I hope their AD held up FSU for more money! :)

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

A Qb with a Blackshirt?

:shock: :D

5. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Miami thought about playing "Sisters Of the Poor" University to make up our missed game but the ACC Championship game got in the way... :twisted: :twisted:

Per Miami's chances in the Championship game and no I'm not poor mouthing... :D

Clemson was favored on the last betting line by 6.5-7 points which is probably being generous to Miami. Let's be honest, Clemson has been here before when it comes to playing in the big games, although inconsistent at times they have their crap together in both coaching and the players. Richt has 45% of his players he recruited on the team with the rest being recruited by Al Golden and only two years with his current coaching staff.

The game is played in Charlotte which is essentially a home game for Clemson who can drive it in two hours and change. Miami is 11 hours away and they have a history of fans not traveling well. That being said I have been surprised at the amount of Cane fans who are going to the game and think it may shock more than a few people. Just like it shocked folks how loud the Hard Rock can get in big games.

Final thought is I think if we play a nearly perfect game we can indeed beat Clemson but our QB has to step up along with our offensive line to make it possible. Our QB Rosier testified how he essentially didn't take last weeks game very serious nor the chance at he might be benched if he played poorly which he was against Pitt.

Clemson dunks short passes to their playmakers and let's them try to break away along with 3 or 4 long bombs to score early and often. We are using a mixed match backfield because of injuries and our starting tight end was lost in last weeks game against Pitt. He was a key ingredient in our offense and his replacement (Michael Irvin Jr.) has been on suspension because he seems to have forgot that you have to study while at college...

Speed vs Speed it seems but with Clemson having the edge in both talent and experience....There is a little revenge factor involved, Clemson drubbed us 58-0 the last time we played which essentially got Al Golden terminated and Richt coming our way. Funny thing is most fans loved Dabo for doing it to us because we hated the direction Golden had a moving in...

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I am rooting for Louisiana Monroe! :lol:

7. RECcane

Look for Richt to open up the playbook a bunch against Clemson, he has no fear to do the unthinkable if he feels the players have the talent to get it done.

It should make for a fun game to watch....

8. Terry O'Keefe

RE: CFP...here's what we know for sure.

1. ACC Champ is in,no matter who wins.

2. SEC Champ is in, no matter who wins

3. OU is in if they win the B12

4. Wisconsin is in if they win the Big10

5. No Pac12 team is in no matter what.

6. UCF is not in even if they beat Memphis 100-0.

9. RECcane

Don :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Don Ballard

On a more serious note, I feel we can beat Wisky, however, I wonder which team will show up for the Buckeyes? J.T. Barnett probably will be able to play, but if not Dwayne Haskins looks pretty solid.

I do not expect anything like what happened in 2014 with Cardale Jones at the helm. That's why we play the games to determine which team is really the better team.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Wait, what? I thought that was what the refs were for, to decide before the game which team they wanted to win and to proceed to call the game with that in mind! :)

12. RECcane

Hmmm, I thought it was ESPN and CBS Sports that decided such things...

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Hohum, I guess I can sleep in. :cry:

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I think for Alabama to have a shot, they'll need it to come down to them vs Ohio State for a playoff spot. I don't see any other way Alabama gets in.

My thoughts on this week:

1. To hell with Florida State and their cheap ass ploy to stay bowl eligible.
    2. I'll take Miami over CLemson. I don't know why, but I'm gonna.
    3. What is Auburn's road record in big games vs home games? Off the top of my head, I believe they lost to LSU and Clemson on the road. While Clemson was a 'long time ago' LSU was just a month ago. Their road wins are over A&M, Arkansas and Missouri (before Missou's streak).. just food for thought, I'll take Georgia.
    4. I really wanna take Wiscy in this slugfest. I'm just not sure they are so much better than the Buckeyes that experience won't play a factor.
    5. I don't give 2 shits who wins the P12 game. I hope they both lose. I hope the coin lands on the side during the coin toss. To hell with both of these teams.
    6. The big yawn..... OU
    7. I've seen both teams. It should be a fun game. I'll take UCF

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Who cares about FSU

I think if UGA will trust their offense, then their defense can win this game for them. UGA has 2 possibly 3 of the best running backs in the country, although if Stidham is as hot this Saturday as he was last Saturday, Auburn will be tough. I don't think he can do that 2 weeks in a row

I think Clemson wins this one. Too much talent.

I think Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Too much talent.

I guess USC wins. Who knows which Stanford team will show up.

If UCF wins it gives Corey and me something to argue about.
    8)

16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Yeah we've been agreeing way too much lately :)

I wonder if Frost coaches the bowl game if he takes the Nebraska job. Frost has been kinda distant but he and Nebraska are certainly staring at each other like a couple of horny teenagers across a dance hall floor. I'm starting to think that's gonna happen.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

LOL! Funniest thing I've read in a while.

18. Terry O'Keefe

It would be tough for Frost not to move on to Neb ASAP as he has a lot of work to do in order to put together a staff and also try to salvage as much as possible with recruiting. About the only guy I can think of who stayed through the bowl after taking another job was Urban Meyer. It worked out ok for him.

But most of the time once you take the job you move on. Now Coordinators often try to do 2 jobs. Kirby Smart and Lane Kiffin both stayed with Alabama ...well Smart did, Kiffin of course left the week after the semifinal last year.

19. RECcane

Well crap our stud receiver was carted off the practice field today with a serious knee injury. This makes the starting tight end, lead receiver and starting running back gone. And we don't have the depth yet to replace them like Bama or Clemson can.

Oh well as long as it's not 58-0 like the last time we played Clemson..

20. Don Ballard

Sorry to hear that news Ralph, very distasteful for injuries to key players in the final week. The playing field has definitely improved for the Tigers!