CFP Rankings

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by kp, Oct 31, 2017.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well, they are out. This should stir up some conversations. I'm kind of glad that Georgia gets the rat poison for a while. Like I said earlier, this should all sort itself out. Lots of football to play. I think if I was Wisconsin and Miami I would be pissed though.

2. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

You said it best, this should sort itself out with lots of football left to play. Just keep winning and it will fall into place if your Wisconsin or Miami.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Miami and Wisconsin can win out and still have to jump several one loss teams. At #9 and #10, it's a pretty steep hill to climb. :?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm surprised that Alabama is not #1, but with this first poll nothing really is even close to being settled.

If the Irish win out, but Ohio State, Oklahoma and Clemson win out...we could be in trouble. We need our opponents to keep wining. We need USC to win the Pac12 South at a min, we need Mich State to finish strong, that loss to Northwestern was not good. And it would be terrific if NCState upended Clemson this weekend and that after losing to ND, that then Miami would win out! :)

Last year the top 4 of the 1st rankins...

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Michigan
    4. Texas A&M

so you see a lot can change.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

We play at Miami Nov.11.

6. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I read the the year Ohio State won the NC they started out the first poll at 16 then won it all.

All that really matters is being in the top 4.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I like the current rankings and I thing the CFP members have done a commendable job, in their first week ranking the various teams.

November is the month of success or failure for most teams. Ultimately we will have the final four. I can almost guarantee you it will be different than the first week picks! :roll:

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

They put a lot of weight on head to head (thus Oklahoma over Ohio State) and also strength of schedule (thus Wisconsin).

Can't really argue with either...and there is a lot of sorting out that will happen before our final disagreements start in November. :lol:

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Notre Dame has control over its destiny. We play two more ranked teams.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Well all the 1 loss teams have control over their destiny, we all need to win out.

But as I said in the ND topic, it's not just win and move on like in a NFL type of playoff. You'd better win and look good winning. For instance I don't think Ohio State can go into Iowa and come away with a 1 point come from behind win and not drop in the CFP rankings. I do think Penn State can go to a ranked Mich State and have a close win and not drop.

I also think that even though the Irish finishing schedule is, according to the guys on XM Sports this AM the 4th toughest schedule in college football, we have to beat both WF and Navy by considerable margins or even winning out will not be enough. Also if while we are sitting home Ohio State just blisters Wisconsin in the Big 10 Champ game and OU hammers who ever they play in the B12 Champ game or maybe even a longer shot, if Wash gets on a roll and wins out beating everybody handily and then blows out their Pac12 Champ game opponent ...The Irish are in trouble not having that 13th data point. It will piss off every Irish fan on the planet if we win out and then while sitting home drop out to a Conf Champ.

11. Terry O'Keefe

For the SEC teams, UGA and Alabama...they both have to beat Auburn and Auburn is a good team. The XM sports guys think UGA will lose to either Auburn or Ga. Tech. They don't think Alabama will lose.

12. Terry O'Keefe

So here's a thought....what happens if Auburn goes on a run and beats not only Texas A&M on the road but Georgia and then Alabama and then beats Georgia a 2nd time in the SEC Championship game.

That's pretty impressive run to finish the season, would it get them to the playoffs? 2 losses, probably not but it'd make the committee think a lot.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Y'all are right most of this stuff will sort itself out, but even if we had an eight team playoff, 2 of the 4 undefeated teams would not be in....yet. :?

14. RECcane

Talking of scenarios what happens if Miami wins it out staying undefeated but continues its winning ways by one point as it's done all season. Then you take into consideration they played one less game because of the hurricane, how the heck does that even work into the equation. :shock:

I don't see that happening but it adds a wrinkle...

15. Terry O'Keefe

I absolutely believe that any Power 5 Conference winner who is undefeated will have one of the 4 playoff slots. Take it to the bank! We can say Wisc for example has had a weak schedule and all that but win out and defeat Ohio State or whoever wins the B1G East they are in.

16. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Ralph, easy answer, a natural disaster does not count, you are just out of luck!
    Insurance claims 101! :oops:

17. RECcane

Don you make my day :D :D 8)

Honestly making it to one of the big bowls at 11-2 with a nice payout that pumped recruiting would be oh so perfect. I'm not sold on us being on par yet with the elite schools, next year maybe...