BB refs are incompetent too

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Tenn-Bama game gets a more competently or unbiased game from their refs than did UA-UF.

30 fouls on Fla, 20 in the second half alone!

At least 60% of them were of the very questionable variety.

Nothin like home cookin in the SEC.

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I didn't get to see the game but somebody put one on us and I'd bet it was outstanding play by Alabama rather than home cookin'. :(

3. Tennessee Tom

I'm sure this isn't going to happen, but I am a big Auburn fan for the rest of the night! Go Tigers! Beat the... well, Tigers! If Auburn can beat LSU, Tennessee stays in first place in the SEC rather than tied for that position. :roll:

4. Motorcity Gator

I did watch the UF game on Yahoo and while UA made some good plays as did Florida the Hogs benefitted greatly by the disparity in fouls because they won at the end of OT when Noah was out of the game on 5 fouls.

5. Motorcity Gator

This was a physical game inside on both sides and hotly contested in the last few minutes.

There is no way that this kind of foul disparity could have transpired.

"This was a game won at the foul line. The zebras called 30 fouls on the Gators, 19 on Arkansas. Joakim Noah and Adrian Moss fouled out for the Gators and Green, Corey Brewer and Horford all finished the game with four fouls. The Razorbacks went 26-42 from the foul line and had 30 free combined free throw attempts in the second half and overtime (made 21). Florida, on the other hand, went to the foul line 20 times for the entire game and converted 17.

In the final 6:30 of regulation and the five minutes of overtime, the Gators went to the foul line exactly ZERO times while Arkansas practically lived there. The Razorbacks went 4-8 from the foul line down the stretch and 5-8 in the overtime. Arkansas outscored Florida 21-10 from the foul line in the second half and overtime. "

6. The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate New Member

In looking through some other SEC box scores, there were other games with large FT differentials as well.

Alabama vs Tenn; Bama shot 30 ft's, Tenn shot 18.

LSU vs Auburn; LSU shot 22 ft's, Auburn 10.

The difference? I haven't seen fans of those schools whining about officiating. Of course, it's not an chronic obsession with them so I guess that's the reason why.

7. Motorcity Gator

I watched the game and the reactions of Donovan and the Gator players.

That and the stats at the end of the game as I listed above and my observation the refs did not call it the same on both sides, especially in crunch time, dictate my opinion on this.

8. Tennessee Tom

What's up DA? Were you at the Alabama game?

Cindy and I hate not being able to make it to games :cry: but that will change with retirement. Still got at least 10 years to go on that. ...less if the dang stock market would cooperate. If both AMAT and INTC ever get back up to $50... :lol:

9. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There is a Big East Ref named Higgins who has it in for the Irish, you can always count on a number of bad calls when he does our games.

There are times though that a disparity in FT's can be explained, where one team is shooting mostly jump shots and not taking the ball inside to the post or driving the ball. Cardinal rule is you never foul a jump shooter, he's much less likely to make his shot than his FT's.

In the Fla/Ark game it looks like they took about the same amount of 3pt shots, did Ark drive the hoop more or pass the ball inside to the post men more than the Gators?

Of course one of the most obvious disparities comes about when the opposing team is fouling to prolong the game at the end, esp when the opponent is still in 1 and 1.

Terry

10. Motorcity Gator

In the Tenn-Bama game 13 points was the diff so it didn't cause the win/loss.

In the UF-UA game the diff was 4 points at then end of OT when two big inside players for UF had already fouled out....mostly on contested loose balls etc, and not because the Hogs had athletic plays driving the basket, etc.

11. Cindy McCord

Cindy McCord New Member

Go Stock Market. Momma needs to retire early! :lol: