B1G TEN Conference Rolling in Cash

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, May 17, 2019.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

From 11 Warrriors.com:

Look at the Big Ten, for example. 14 different athletic departments in 11 different states, all busting their humps equally to generate a record 759 million dollars in the 2018 fiscal year. That's more than any other conference in the country by a wide margin and beats out the Big Ten's previous best by several hundred million dollars. Most of these dollars came from television contracts, and who's to say that Rutgers losing to Buffalo wasn't just as significant financially as Ohio State in the Rose Bowl?

I am guessing the SEC is in second place. I have no idea how Notre Dame as an independent fare with their contract with NBC?

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

ND with their contract doesn't come close to what Big 10 and SEC teams get from their contracts. But we still overall make a lot of money. Right now Texas and Texas A&M always sit on top of the list of teams making the most money. I don't really know where we rank these days and it's since we are a Private school we don't have to disclose any of our finances so it's hard to get a idea of where we stand.

But no doubt the B10 and the SEC are making a ton of money. The new ACC network will probably make ACC schools #3, and the B12 #4 and the Pac12 a distant 5th.

Certainly when Jim Delaney first proposed the Big 10 Network many thought he was nuts, but time has proved that he was not nuts but a visionary. Facilities all over the Big 10 are bound to be improving and making progress toward having the type of facilities you find in the SEC, even at places like Northwestern that just opened a beautiful facility right on Lake Michigan. I'd bet that they couldn't afford that unless they had that big chunk of change coming in to go along with whatever donors are putting up.

ND has invested a lot in facilities, we have a new basketball facility that just opened and we have a new indoor football practice facility and most of our other sports facilities have been updated or are rather new so that we are competitive in this area with just about anybody.

3. Don Ballard

Amazing how things have changed over the years beforehand. Coaches are being paid enormous sums of money as well. I really wonder where it all will end down the road? Delany is scheduled to retire next year. Gene Smith our AD, seems to think we need to hire within the conference group to continue what Delaney has started. However, he is quick to point put he is not interested in the position for himself.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Don have all the Big 10 schools updated their football facilities in the last 5 yeats? I think I read that Illinois facilities stink, literally. I wonder what they have been doing with all of this money that is flowing into Big 10 programs?

5. Don Ballard

Terry, I think most of the teams in the conference had updated their facilities, but I have no knowledge of the situation at Illinois.

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I spent today watching B1G baseball, they haven't poured it into that.. Although some of the facilities were okay.

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Pretty amazing what the Big 10 has done financially. Not only are they ahead of the SEC but it's by a good amount.

I read that the difference is that the SEC Network is run by ESPN where the Big 10 administers their Network themselves.

8. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Juwan Howard is the guy in Michigan.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the B12 announced record revenue's and each team will get 38.5M distribution. Not up to B10 standards or the SEC. But it's a lot more than the ACC and a little more than Pac12. But remember we're only a 10 team conference and we don't have the population footprint that the SEC and B1G. ACC Network coming online this August, that'll bump there revenues up probably past the B12. Pac12 has their own problems. Irish are probably the lowest earning team in the Power 5 in terms of TV revenues, we get 15M from NBC according to what i read online and also another 7.9M from the ACC so that bumps us up to 23M.

That's way below everybody else, truthfully I don't think any ND fans think that the money is what has caused the ND football program to have so many mediocre seasons in the years since Holtz left, but it does impact the Athletic Dept and minor sports I have no doubt. I don't know what another 20M or so would do for ND football and the athletics program in general, but for sure having more money is a good thing.

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My class had Saturday's dinner in the Dunken student center which is one of the new buildings attached to the stadium. I was surprised by how plush the new section that overlooks the stadium is. Among other things there are new seats high up both sidelines. Because of it's "historical building" status the new buildings are not actually attached to the stadium. There is a 1 foot gap between them and the stadium. This avoids any problem with altering the stadium itself and most importantly, since they are not part of the stadium, they can serve alcoholic beverages during games.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

12. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting Choice. He's COO of the Vikings with a long history in the NFL on the executive side of things. He played basketball for 1 year at Penn then returned to his home in Phoenix and graduated from Grand Caynon University with his BA, then ASU for an MBA and next Notre Dame for a JD. Seems well qualified to lead the Big 10.

13. Terry O'Keefe

When I first read Mike story on his reunion I read it as he had dinner at the Drunken Student Center...I thought, really why would they have a center for Drunken Students! Now I see it's the Dunken Student center..phew!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Don Ballard

LOL, Terry, you are something else!:)