A first next Sat in Jax

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/10/revving-up-river-city-rivalry/

For the first time both the SEC Nation pregame show and ESPN Game Day will be at the same site broadcasting when they show up in Jacksonville for the cocktail party.

The Gators are third behind Alabama and Ohio State in Game Day appearances but haven't been on the show since 2016.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Will be at the game, but probably not the pregame show.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Should be fun. Should b a good game too!

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

big battle for the East.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Several months ago I would have said we don't have much chance.

Now I think we are a significant underdog but have a shot.

6. Motorcity Gator

There is a definite upside to the downside of losing this game in Jax.... and that is avoiding the sure clubbing either one would get in Atlanta from maybe Saban's best team at Alabama....

7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Listening to the end of the Texans/Jags game they were talking about the UF/UGA game and that the first RV's will be rolling into place for a week of partying tomorrow morning.

UGA isn't quite the team they were last year, that Dawg defense last year was just so good. But they lost a lot of those guys and while the new guys are talented they aren't the vets those guys were. I'd say if you're going to beat UGA this is the year, Smart has had 2 monster classes now in a row and a 3rd on the way. He's picked up a ton of 5 star players. Those guys will start to take effect next year.

The interesting this is that in 2016 they had true frosh phenom Jacob Eason at QB, then last year they had true frosh phenom #2 in Jake Fromm who is now being pushed by true frosh phenom #3 in Justin Fields who many think has more talent than Trevor Lawrence at Clemson. Eason of course seeing the light transferred, if Smart eventually gives the job to Fields will that be the end of Fromm? It does seem that QB is one place you can have too much talent, they don't stay long if they aren't playing.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Smart needs to drop the fake field goals, and the flea flickers. The way he substitutes Fields for one or two plays at a time just seems to break the offensive rhythm of the team. Right now I think he is Georgia's biggest problem.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Analysis I have read is that UGA's OL and RB's aren't as good as previous years and that Fromm is (like Haskins) not a dual threat QB and Fields is a big time dual threat and that is why Smart keeps sticking Fields in the game. Sort of the opposite of Clemson where Bryant was a dual threat QB but not that great of a passer so Lawrence who is a great passer won out. Clemson has an excellent RB and a pretty good OL. So Lawrence was needed for his passing skill to open up the offense so the RB's could flourish.

10. Motorcity Gator

If UF's defense can play at a high level like they did vs. LSU then the Gators have a chance to expose the offensive weaknesses that Ga. may have.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think Fromm is an inconsistent passer and both running backs are very good. I do t know why Fields only comes in for one or two plays at a time. If he is the dual threat why not leave him in for at least a series? UGA has more talent than almost anyone. I think Smart is overthinking it.