2006 early look

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

CFN's early take on next season holds some interest for ND and UF fans:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/TQ/Tuesday_Question.htm

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'ts nice to see some "pre season" attention. I notice that they mention that ND has 17 returning starters. That's 17 starters off a team that wasn't ranked when the '05 season began.
    If the irish can get out of Sept. unbeaten, it will be a very interesting year.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm surprised to see Fla ranked #1 or #3, it seems to me that while there is a lot of talent hanging around in Gainesville a lot of it will be inexperienced as well. Somewhere from 5-10 would seem reasonable.

I think the Irish are being ranked a little high given that our defense has not proven itself to be a good defense. If we improve on defense next year, then I think we have a good shot at another top 10 finish and maybe a 1 loss season. Hard to predict an undefeated season when you face Mich, Penn State, UCLA, USC as well as nemisis Mich State on the road.

I do think that Texas will beat Ohio State (yes I'm offically calling it a bad weekend for my buddies from Ohio :)). We bring back most of our defense and the couple of new starters we have are experienced backups as Chizik played a lot of guys on defense last year. On offense while the guy with Supermans cape is gone we will again be stout on the OL, esp since Blalock decided to stay for his final year and not go to the NFL. Good OL, Great RB's, all the WR's back....a lot of help for a new kid at QB!

Terry

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

<t>I don't know about any particular order, but on paper, I think the following will be in the hunt somewhere:<br/>
    <br/>
    Notre Dame, Auburn, Florida, Michigan, USC, West Virginia, Ohio State, Florida St., Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Miami.<br/>
    <br/>
    Another good question is: who will be the good and bad surprises?<br/>
    <br/>
    Last season, Notre Dame and Penn State were upside surprise BCS players, while Michigan, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Purdue fell on their faces with a lot of talent onboard. I see Michigan, Tennessee and Oklahoma making a comeback next year, while other potential upside surprises could come from Arizona, Nebraska, Cal, or Colorado.<br/>
    <br/>
    There's also another category: teams that I just can't figure out. These include Texas A&M, Wazzoo, Mississippi, Arizona St., San Diego St., Rutgers, Kansas and Boston College. I always seem lose those picks in the contest and their recruiting seems irrelevant when compared with their win-loss record...<br/>
    <br/>
    ....................JO'Co</t>

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Rutgers

<t>Schiano definetley has them moving in the right direction. This program was on life support before he arrived. The key to continued improvement is to recruit well here in NJ. We have a lot of talent for a small state but he faces continued stiff competition from ND, BC, VaTech, Miami and Penn State.<br/>
    <br/>
    I was just down in my Florida digs and on my way to the West Palm Beach airport on the Fla TP I saw a billboard with the Rutgers football team picture that said Merry Christmas from Rutgers. I hear that Tony Soprano is on BBs all over the place touting Rutgers football as well.<br/>
    <br/>
    They are trying.</t>

6. Motorcity Gator

I expect UF to struggle on the offensive line next year and tough games away at Tenn, Auburn and FSU preclude a berth in the NC game but an SEC title and top 5 finish is possible. 11-2 with an SEC title and a BCS bowl win would stamp Meyer's second year as a great success if that were to happen.

7. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Sad, sad, sad.....

<r><E>:roll:</E> <br/>

<QUOTE author="Terry O'Keefe"><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

<br/>
    The signs are clear... Senility is setting in. <E>:lol:</E> <br/>
    <br/>
    Terry</r>

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

:D

I see the game is already scheduled for TV (ABC) at 8:00 EST

Don

9. Terry O'Keefe

I was hoping for a day game, to wilt the boys from Ohio a little in the Texas heat!! :) Not that we need it though!

Terry
    :twisted:

10. whobedis

whobedis New Member

:twisted:
    A nite game eh.....!My poor Buckeyes....A "green " D Two holes on the O-line to fill. I just hope they can give those "son's of Beevis" a noble effort.
    Stu it has to be an afternoon flight back!

11. Terry O'Keefe

Bring Sun Screen and Antacids. Texas Tex Mex and BBQ joints don't have green horn menu's! :)

Terry

12. whobedis

whobedis New Member

Terry,
    I've been in training for years 8) 8) From chile's on my pizza to my "world famous"fried chicken with habenarros.....I'll be ready :lol:

13. Terry O'Keefe

Well it's good you'll be ready for the food! The weekend won't be a total loss. Hey since the game is going to be on the same day as the Penn State/Notre Dame game are you going to bring Tod? I mean last year Stu brought Crazy John to watch the ND/Mich game as the warmup for the Ohio State/Texas game! Seems only right. :)

Terry

14. Motorcity Gator

More on next season from CFN:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rankings/PrePreSeason_NationalTitleContenders.htm

Gators at #2 and they think Dallas Baker won't be back....wrong!

15. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

That's a pretty bizarre list. Notre Dame not even in the Top 10? I didn't see any teams in their Top 10 that the Irish couldn't beat. The team returns 17 starters, including All-Americans at QB, WR, SS and OL. The Irish DID NOT graduate Santucci and lost only two on the OL. They get their best WR, Rhema McKnight, back and the defense should be much better. :p

I didn't have the impression that the people who put that list together knew what they were talking about...

..............JO'Co

16. Motorcity Gator

I agree ND should be on that list.

The writer wrote the article before FSU kicked off Fred Rouse.
    I could see ND replacing FSU on the list for sure.

17. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Tennessee #9

<t>These people are absolute fools. Ranking Tennessee in the top 10 after the lack of performance last year is insane. I am a true Vol fan but they have to show me some kind of spark before I believe that the turn around can happen that fast.<br/>
    <br/>
    Don't get me wrong. Tennessee has the potential. They just have not lived up to it recently.</t>

18. Terry O'Keefe

Texas the Preseason #1? Yeah we should be good, top 10 and all that but with the big ? at QB nobody is putting us that high. Very Odd List

Terry

19. Motorcity Gator

:shock: :shock:

I too questioned Tenn because of last season's flop. I think Tenn is no better than #15 in the real poll rankings next summer.

UF probably checks in around #4 or 5 at best and Texas in the top 5 is likely and ND will be top 6 or 7 at worst.

LSU could be a surprise preseason #1 IMHO.