0630 a.m.....

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jun 6, 2006.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

....62 years ago, the U.S. 1st Division landed at Omaha Beach. The rest is History.

GOD BLESS YOU BRAVE SON'S A BITCHES...

PRESENT, ARMS! ORDER ARMS!

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've watched a number of documentarys on the D-Day Landing, plus Saving Private Ryan, and it was an amazing assualt. So much went wrong, so much went right. Today's america and media wouldn't be able to take it.

God Bless'em all.

Terry

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A visit to the cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach is among the most moving moments I've ever experienced.....the extraordinary courage shown by these magnificent young men is beyond comprehension. Freedom comes with a very high price indeed....

As far as the eye can see....God Bless Them All!

Terry

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
    Terry I agree with you about the US cemetery. The groundskeepers keep it so beautifully.
    The two monuments showing the units and their movements that day and afterward were also interesting. Just like the Viet Nam Memorial and the Arizona Memorial, it is a very moving place.

5. Jack O'Brien

Jack O'Brien New Member

As the 1st Division landed at Omaha Beach, Tommy McGuigan and the rest of the Pathfinders from the 82nd Airborne and the 101st had already been in France fighting for over 8 hours. The rest of the 82nd and 101st had been on the ground for about 6 hours.

I met Tommy at my father's bar when I was 8. He was probably in his early to mid 30's, younger than my Dad but he looked old enough to be his father. He had been in all the airborne drops in WWII but would never talk about it. I asked him about it several times usually after seeing a Van Johnson or Jeff Chandler WW II flick and he always changed the subject to baseball, fishing, or anything else.

When I was 10 and joined the Boy Scouts, Tommy gave me a present. It was an Army compass. "Three times this compass saved my life getting me back to our lines after I landed in enemy territory." He never mentioned the war again.

Thanks again Tommy!