I got a letter today from the Dept of Veteran Affairs...

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

And my name was one of the ones that went home with the dude who got his house robbed and laptop containing my stuff stolen along with 26 million other veterans. They apologized for the inconvenience and said that they have no evidence that my data has been misused (how do they know?). They promise to keep me apprised and assure me that this will never happen again. Oh yeah and I got an 800 number to call if I have questions and there is a page setup for me on www.firstgov.gov.

I feel so relieved

2. Jack O'Brien

Jack O'Brien New Member

It was Bush's fault!

pre-emptive strike

3. Jack O'Brien

Jack O'Brien New Member

Terry, when did you complete active service?

4. Terry O'Keefe

July 1973

5. mrsjoco

mrsjoco Active Member

:cry: Terry.. please notify all 3 credit bureaus of this problem they will stop any new accounts from being opened in your name they can set up a passcode for you and this is for your protection . They will put an alert on your credit bureau ... that your information has been stolen it alerts creditors of the fact that you may not be the one opening the acct. If you need phone # and adres's I can send them to you......Don't wait, I see alot of fraud accounts in the work I do and its hard to undo once it is done ....D

6. Terry O'Keefe

Diane would you send me the info?

thanks

Terry

7. Jack O'Brien

Jack O'Brien New Member

I may be with you. I got out in '71 but that web site says if you ever had a disability claim or VA benefits (education) you're included in their current files. I have both and grad school was post '75. No letter so far but the site says they'll be going out through the 15th.

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Funny thing happened the other day.....I received a statement in the mail from AMERITRADE.

Evidently someone tried to open an account with my info during May of this year. The account was closed 3-days later when the EF payment wasn't received.

I was charged $25.11 for the NSF on the bill. I spoke with AMERITRADE and they researched the account and sided with me that it wasn't me that initiated the account.

Certain things like e-mail address and mothers maiden name were incorrect. I also went and reported the event to the FBI's website.

I also used what Diane is talking about. You can do it all by touchtone and it takes a few minutes. They only do it for a 90 day period however.

9. mrsjoco

mrsjoco Active Member

Terry I will get you the information at work in the morning I write you tomorrow .. I work at 5 am and am home about 2 I get you adres's and phone #'s sorry I didnt see this untl joco told me tonight .....I really am to old to go to work at 5 am .... will write you tomorrow Di

10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Dear Mr Doctor O'Keefe.

Gracias for letting me use your card numbers so that I could buy two el grande fighting roosters. I name one after you.

Signed,

Roberto

[​IMG]

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D
    ......ROTFL............

[​IMG]

12. mrsjoco

mrsjoco Active Member

Terry I am sending it to you personally but just in case anyone else needs it here is the info : Huskerfan please check for information an alert is suppose to stay there as a perm/ note on your report.. If they fail to do so it can mean a fine to the bureaus ....No nothing for you....

Experian : Phone # 888 397 3742 : Po Box 2002, Allen Tx 75013
    fax # 972 390 3809

Trans Union : 800 888 4213 : Mail Customer Disclosure Ctr po box 1000
    Chester Pa 19022

Equifax : 888 8735392 : Mail Equifax Info services P>O> Box 105851
    Atlanta Ga 30348

There is also a web site http:// www.annual creditreport.com
    and a phone # 877 322 8228 to get a copy of all 3 credit burea's you are entitled to a fee one each year ... if you go for the 3 please remember that the credit bureaus each use a different section of your acct # or information as the ref # so it may seem like they are reporting it 3 times
    when in fact they arent....One of my biggest pet peeves is someone assumes the creditor is reporting it wrong when in fact they are misreading the information ... If you get a report and need to understand it write me and I will help you walk thru it ...... hope this helps... Mind you any changes or requests you do please send certified mail and followup the credit bureaus have a bad rep when it comes to corrections ......

13. Terry O'Keefe

I hope you bought them from Rusty!!! :)

14. mrsjoco

mrsjoco Active Member

:D Not exactly you see it is part of my job to know these things and it is part of policy and compliance to have updated versions on my computer
    at all times... D

15. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:!:
    True story.

Today I went to the Bank of America near my house to make an ATM deposit in the machines on the outside wall of the bank. As I approached the one I normally use, I noticed that it was beeping with some kind of alarm. I'd never heard this before and I didn't even know that ATMs had alarms! I walked up to it and read the screen which said, "Transaction Not Completed." There was an ATM card sticking half-way out of the slot, so I pulled it out and looked at it. It was very dirty and partially cut. The magnetic strip on the back was half rubbed away and this was probably why the transaction couldn't be completed. The card was in the name of "Francisco Garcia."

I then walked inside and turned it in to a bank official. She explained that someone had probably thrown the card away and that the person who had attempted to use it had probably dug it out of a trash can. She also said that this happens all the time...

About a year ago, I chased an illegal out of my yard at 5:00 in the morning as I left for work, when I caught him rummaging through my trash can. Think about it. I'm buying a shredder...

...............TP :x

16. Terry O'Keefe

Get a good one, some of the cheap ones won't do credit cards and you have to feed the paper a couple of pages at a time!