Hows everyone's team doing in basketball this year so far???

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by The Gamecock Outlaw, Jan 26, 2009.

1. The Gamecock Outlaw

The Gamecock Outlaw New Member

South Carolina is 15-4 (3-2 SEC). Devan Downey has to be the best point guard in College Basketball and I will argue that with anyone.

2. Outbound

Outbound New Member

Don't know about the best but he is right up there with the best.
    You already know how Clemson is doing.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish are mired in a 3 game losing streak, granted to very good teams, but still we are in the bottom half of the Big East. We'll need to right the ship and finish over .500 in the Big East if we want to go to the NCAA's.

Luke Harangody has had a great year and will be a 1st team AA, but the supporting cast has been up and down. He can't do it all by himself. Our 2nd leading scorer is a good 3pt shooter 2 Guard who when he's hot is one of the best 3 pt shooters in the country, but good teams can deny him the open shot and shut him down. We also lack the athletic wings that you see on so many good college teams, you know those 6'6" skinny leapers who just get a lot of offensive rebounds.

4. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Well-Known Member

Arizona is struggling. Second interim coach in two years, poor perimeter defense, way too many turnovers each game and a lack of solid guard depth. The Cats have even lost a couple of games at the end of regulation by fouling when the score was tied. Oy.

Saturday's home game against Houston was looking dismal, with the Cats down by double digits in the second half. They had just begun chipping away at the lead when the following happened...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4ZryYqFmoc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4ZryYqFmoc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Houston's Aubrey Coleman was ejected and Arizona's Chase Budinger picked up a T for retaliating, although he did stay in the game. Arizona tied the game with a three at the end, then won it in overtime.

5. Terry O'Keefe

The UH kid did apologize the next day, but somehow the claim of I didn't mean to do it doesn't match up with the film. But it hurt UH who could have used the win. I'm sure Penders had somethings to say to the kid after the game.

6. The Gamecock Outlaw

i would have beat his ass so badly for that. my teammates, refs, coaches or his teammates wouldn't have stopped me.

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

University of Dayton Flyers are 18-2 and leading the A-10.

8. Bear Down Rick

9. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Billy Clyde Gillispe has the Kentucky Wildcats on the uptick right now, it was looking bleak after losing to VMI to start the season and then getting blown out by UNC on Nat'l TV. But things have settled down since then. Maybe he'll make it.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

BDR,
    Like Corey alluded to before, alot of Alabama basketball fans have been hoping for this for a while.

11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

My Aggies are struggling with the transition to Marc Turgeon's motion offense with the mix of new players and those left from Gillispie.
    We don't really have the shooting guards right now to pull it off, and it's showing against the better competition in conference.

Right now were 15-5 (1-4)
    Our first 5 conf games haven't exactly been cake-walks!

01/10/09 at Oklahoma State
    01/14/09 vs. Baylor
    01/17/09 vs. Oklahoma
    01/19/09 at Kansas
    01/24/09 at Texas

I have a feeling our streak of NCAA appearances and wins is about to end.
    There is good news: we are recruiting lights out, and these young pups that are getting lumps now will be ready to dish it out in the not to distant future.

12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators are 17 - 3 and 4 -1 in the SEC. Of course you know who they lost to in the SEC. That last second loss to the Gamecocks was a stunner. But we came back big yesterday against Vandy.

SEC doesn't have much in the top 25 but should put a number of teams in the NCAA tournament with middle of the pack seeds.

Congratulations for that last second win against the Gators Outlaw. We'll see you later in Gainesville. :)

13. Bear Down Rick

Houston's Coleman suspended one game for flagrant foul

A one game suspension is the usual for a flagrant, so I guess they're giving Coleman the benefit of the doubt. It is against UTEP, but I'd have suspended him for Memphis as well.

I must say, the Cougar fans have been very objective about this, save for the few goose-stepping homers that believe he's completely innocent.

If you follow the link you can also watch the video of his ******** "apology". I've seen it before, but have a hard time watching it because that growth on his neck is very distracting.

14. The Gamecock Outlaw

Gator, that game was just awesome. Neither team was going to let the other team just have that game. The end was one of the best finishes in college basketball ever. I am just glad South Carolina was the team that came out on top. We've had too many times come out on bottom in those games. This not the first time Florida and South Carolina have had an exciting finish. Go back to 2001 and Travis Kraft hit a last second 3 for USC to beat Florida. These two teams seem to always play each other tough.

15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Rick,

As KP mentioned, Bama fans have been wanting this for a while but recently two things have cropped up locally that forced this situation to a head:

1. Their best player just upped and quit the team, taking the high road but clearly indicating that it has nothing to do with injury, school or teammates.

2. Rampant rumors about an affair or something like that... I refuse to partake in this sort of stuff so I can't give you the details. All I know is that there is a lot of scuttlebutt about it.

16. Bear Down Rick

Thanks, but I'm not interested in it anyway. The article does mention Ronald Steele's stating that his departure is due to more than just injuries.

Gottfried was a hell of a recruiter at UCLA. I thought he'd do well at Alabama, and he did up until the last few seasons.

17. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Another problem with him was the lack of player development. He'd get players that were suppose to become big time players and they just didn't pan out. Was it the players? Was it the coach? Somewhere in between?

Either way, he just wasn't getting it done at all.

18. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

....depends on who we're playing! :wink:

19. Terry O'Keefe

Irish lost again last night to Marquette, again they are a good team, but it was pretty much Luke Harangody vs Marquette. No help from McAlarney and none of the other players could step up. They kept it close most of the 2nd half and had some leads but the last 2 minutes were all Marquette speed and abilty to not only penetrate but also to kick it back out and get open 3 point shots.

Next up Pittsburgh, so life just gets harder and I can't right now see how we are going to finish above .500 in the Big East.

20. The Gamecock Outlaw

Ole Miss upset Kentucky last night. I was kinda shocked by that.