Carson Baseball News....

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Desiree, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Desiree

Desiree New Member

Carson is playing his first season of machine pitch baseball. Friday night he went 3 for 3, threw a runner out from left field to second, and had the game winning RBI. For his efforts, he was given the game ball. Like grandfather, like father, like son.

For those of you keeping tabs on him as an ND prospect, he is 4'7" and weighs 97 lbs., is left-handed, and reads on a 5th grade level(academic requirements). Not bad for a first-grader! I must tell you however, that I would love for him to follow his momma to Auburn if he doesn't go to ND.

War Eagle!!
    Desiree

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

What sport does he favor these days? Hockey, Baseball or Football?

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

He's perfect size to be an Irish cornerback right now!
    8)

4. Desiree

Desiree New Member

I haven't let him start playing football yet because his age is still flag football and I think it teaches the kids to quit on the ball. He favors golf and baseball.

Philip Rivers was home the other day and was teaching Carson to throw the football. I didn't want to stop him, but I really don't think sidearm is going to be a good motion for Carson :)

As far as cornerback goes.... he is waaaaay too slow. Maybe a good noseguard?

Desiree

5. George Krebs

Don't sell him too short, Des. I don't think you've seen the Irish cornerbacks lately :lol:

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

LOL George! Very funny!

7. Terry O'Keefe

Phillip Rivers???? I thought he was banished from the state of Alabama when he went to NCState. Was he there under an assumed name!! :)

8. Desiree

Desiree New Member

I coached him in PeeWee football, and his dad coached my brother in HS football. He is like a god to the kids at the ballfield, but not Carson, having played ball with the great Terry Hanratty at one of the Skybox Tailgait Extravaganza'a.

9. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

George...

<t>That was a classic. LOL !! <br/>
    <br/>
    My daughter is having a boy in August. My son-in-law is 6-4 225 now and went to Boston College on a full ride in football and played at 6-4 260 so we are excited about the little guys arrival. I want him in centerfield/pitching and his Dad wants him at linebacker. Bottom line is I cannot wait.</t>

10. Terry O'Keefe

I have to ask, who is your son-in-law? I can't think of any BC guys who have played here for the Texans.

11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Great, that sounds like he might be Gator material! :twisted: :twisted:

Nice to hear from you Des.

12. Desiree

Desiree New Member

:lol:

<r>Hi GB!<br/>
    <br/>
    Sorry I haven't been around in a while, just really busy <E>:)</E><br/>
    <br/>
    Carson, against the same team, went 2 for 3 and had the game winning RBI again. His team is the Georgia Bulldogs and they beat the Florida State Seminoles. They have nicknamed him the Seminole Slayer! Thought you would get a kick out of that!<br/>
    <br/>
    Desiree</r>

13. Desiree

Desiree New Member

5/3/2007 vs Tarheels

<t>Carson went 3 for 3 with a single, double and triple. If he had any speed at all it would have been a double and two homers. LOL! Papa Joco you need to tell me how to work on his speed!</t>

14. DodgerDog

DodgerDog New Member

[​IMG]

Here is an actual picture of me grandson with his mum...

[​IMG]

re: speed
    Never mind that nickle & dime stuff. Keep the lad swinging for the fences!

.........Miller Huggins

15. Desiree

Desiree New Member

:)

<t>I love his coach, I wish he was his teacher! He has me standing in the backyard with a broomstick teaching Carson to swing level. I can't tell you how many bruises I have from that. Now he has me doing soft toss with wiffle balls after the broomstick exercize with the last few being ping pong balls then real baseballs. <br/>
    <br/>
    replace garage window = $20<br/>
    chipped bricks = $50<br/>
    baseball time with Carson = Priceless!!!<br/>
    <br/>
    I am dreading football season though.... anyone got a spare set of pads to fit me? How about catchers setup? He wants to pitch you know....<br/>
    <br/>
    Desiree</t>

16. DodgerDog

DodgerDog New Member

[​IMG]
    Des,
    Happy Cinco de Mayo. When I was small, I made a backstop of plywood in the field behind my house. I suspended an old tire in front of it and I placed a coffee can lid in front of that as a home plate. I measured off the Little League distance and placed a piece of 2X4 at that spot for a pitching rubber. This became my area for practice.

A pal of mine named Walter Kennedy had a million baseballs, because his dad went to all the Dodger and Angels games early for batting practice with his glove. He actually had season tickets to sit in the bleachers to catch the BP home runs. He was crazy, but the endless supply of free Major League baseballs prevented me from ever mentioning it...

I would throw the balls through the tire until the bucket was empty. As I recall, the bucket held around 25-30 baseballs. After running a few laps of the field (about 2 acres) I would throw another bucket and then quit. Sometimes I would throw more, but not often. Sixty to sixty-five pitches is about right for kids under 12...

It can be done. I did it by myself, with no help or encouragement from anyone, beginning at age 8. If he really wants to be a pitcher, it can be done...

.............DD

17. George Krebs

Nice story, DD. Too bad we can't get Jimmy Stewart to play you in a movie. Perhaps Tom Hanks? :wink:

[​IMG]

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, JO'Co. Reminds me of my learning experience as a young boy. Throwing a tennis ball against the side of the garage wall and fielding it over and over and.......

As with all kids, if Carson has the ability and likes to play, the cream ultimately will rise to the top. In his case, of course, the bloodlines portend a positive outcome. :wink:

19. Desiree

Desiree New Member

Saturday 5/5 vs Wildcats

<r>Whomping victory today. Carson went 2 of 3 with a single and a double. They were going to put him at catcher for the final inning, but no left-handed catcher's mitt. He had a great throw from left field to hold a power hitter at first. Corey promised him a pack of YuGiOh cards for every hit he gets so needless to say he has been hitting the cover off of the ball <E>:)</E> <br/>
    <br/>
    Carson throws a bucket of balls against the side of the house every day he doesn't have practice or a game. Yesterday I bought him a hitting/throwing tunnel at a yard sale. It might last a couple of seasons, but for $1.50 it is perfect! We just came off of a 6 games in 10 days stretch. Thank heavens we are off until Wednesday so the kids/parents can rest. <br/>
    <br/>
    Sid - he definitely has the bloodlines.... thanks Papa Joco!<br/>
    <br/>
    Des</r>

20. Desiree

Desiree New Member

Site to Carson's Team

<r><URL url="http://www.leaguelineup.com/schedules.asp?sid=511456259&url=decatur_nationals_georgia_bulldogs&divisionid=227024&teamid=1206679"><LINK_TEXT text="http://www.leaguelineup.com/schedules.a ... id=1206679">http://www.leaguelineup.com/schedules.asp?sid=511456259&url=decatur_nationals_georgia_bulldogs&divisionid=227024&teamid=1206679</LINK_TEXT></URL> <br/>
    <br/>
    From there you can get to individual stats etc...<br/>
    <br/>
    For all the NASCAR fans out there.....<br/>
    When they handed out jerseys, they gave Carson his jersey first. It was the number 8.... black number on a red jersey. Carson exclaimed, "Woo Hoo! Just like Jr!"<br/>
    <br/>
    Sorry DD... he loves the Dodgers though... and Sean Green still even though he is playing for the Mets. That kid made me google him to find out where he is playing.</r>