College Football 2024 Week 2

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A few surprises last week, but mostly blowouts. FSU is now not only out of the top 10 but out of the top 25. Some movement, but a couple of teams had big movement upwards, Miami and USC. While Oregon fell a few spots after not looking great against Idaho.

A couple of Friday night games

BYU and SMU not sure who will win that one
    Duke and Northwestern in the SAT bowl. Again don't know who to pick here either.

1. Georgia vs Tenn Tech ..They played Clemson last week so are entitled to their blowout game!!

2. Ohio State vs Western Michigan ....should be a breeze for the Buckeyes

3. Texas @ Michigan ...this is the game of the day for sure. First trip for the Longhorns to the Big House. Longhorns have a veteran at QB, Michigan has a former walk-on. I like it!

4. Alabama vs South Florida ...this was the game last year that sort of turned around the season for the Tide, the now ND lacrosse player started at QB and they eeked out a win and after that it was back to Jalen Milroe and the rest is history. I expect a big win here this season.

5. Notre Dame vs N. Illinois ...one of those pesky MAC teams that you'd better be ready as they will certainly come ready. ND fans expect the Irish to blow them out and if they don't there will be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth. No 2022 Toledo or 2023 Marshall better happen.

6. Ole Miss vs Middle Tenn ...like ND/N.Illinois a blowout is expected and it's more likely to be delivered by Kiffin and company.

7. Oregon vs Boise State ...this is a pretty fair non-conference matchup. Ducks should win of course but Boise is not likely to be a push over.

8.Penn State vs Bowling Green...another pesky MAC team. Nits should roll'em.

9. Missouri vs Buffalo ..another pesky MAC team. MAC teams racking up the appearance money for sure!! Missouri has a vet at QB and that should be enough.

10. Michigan vs Texas

Other games

Arkansas @ Oklahoma State ...a very good early season match up. OSU one of the many teams favored to win the new expanded B12. Hogs a middle of the road SEC team, but they do have Bobby Petrino back running the offense. Should be a good game.

Georgia Tech @ Syracuse Is Tech for real? They are 2-0, Syracuse has Kyle McCord who looked good last weekend in the 'Cuse win. Early season barometer for both teams

Baylor @ Utah The Utes are the favorite to win the B12, Bears are not. Utes got Cam Rising back and he played great, Bears have some guy who might be good and they won as well. First trip to SLC probably too much Mountain air for the Bears.

Iowa St @ Iowa The return of Kirk Ferentz to the sideline. Always a good game.

Tenn @ N.C. State The Vols looked awesome last weekend. The new $$$ QB whose name I can't spell or pronounce was worth the money. The Wolfpack have Grayson McCall the guy who did so well at Coastal Carolina. NC State expected to be a very good ACC team this year. This will be a big test for both..

A bunch of other good games as well. A&M should get healthy vs McNeese as should LSU vs Nichols. TCU plays Long Island who I didn't even know had a football team.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama fans are on Cloud 9 and optimism is high. To quote a Saturday morning star "Not so fast, my friend"! We beat Western Kentucky. It was only W. Kentucky. We don't know anything yet and this week probably won't show us much more. Then the real tests start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

I expect the Longhorns to take care of business here. The Wolverines lack of passing the ball consistently is the key here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Gators have to go with local (Greater Houston) kid, DJ Lagway a 5 star true freshman. Mertz is out with an injury.

5. Terry O'Keefe

How could I forget about Colorado @ Nebraska. Deion and son make a visit to Lincoln, I bet AJ is frothing at mouth getting them in the Motherland!

The Huskers frosh phenomenon at QB should do well vs the Colorado defense.

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Hard to see Michigan putting a lot of points on the board against Texas’ defense. With a new offensive line, Michigan will not be able to consistently run against Texas. Mullins is a solid power back but Edwards has not been explosive so far. The only real threat we have in the passing game is TE Loveland to whom I suspect Texas will devote a great deal of attention. The defense is elite. Basically, this year’s team is a fancier Iowa with LED headlights and chrome trim.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Anyone else miss college football on Thursdays? Like true matchups, not Tennessee Tech against Western Kentucky lol. I know the NFL ruined it but I always loved watching the games on Thursday. I’m not a fan of Friday college football, it takes away from the high school games. That’s my opinion but curious to hear what everyone thinks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Nick, I enjoy your articles, keep them coming.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Thanks Don

11. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Ohio State won’t release the availability report until Saturday at 6:00pm. We may know sooner. I hear Jackson should play. Cody Simon is still banged up. Iffy. Ohio state will be fine. First game rust. They still won 52-6 lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've had grandsons playing HS football for the past several years including this year, so I haven't watched on Friday nights. On any night I'd watch only if it's a game I'm interested in seeing, which hasn't happened often. However, I love watching college FB on Saturdays with ND understandably my first option.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Agree, not a big fan of Friday night college football with the exception of Black Friday games. Also not a fan of pro football on Thursday, for if one of my FF players sucks on a Thursday game, it makes for a long weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Good to hear about Jackson, while I love Cody and hope he's healthy soon, we've got more quality depth at LB than on the OL. No reason to be in a hurry there....

16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

General feeling of Gator Fans is that we should stick with Lagway the rest of the way. Maybe not fair to Mertz but best for the Gators in the long run.

If he stays at Florida that is. Big question about that if Napier is fired which is highly likely.

17. Terry O'Keefe

W. Illinois gave up 55 last week to Northern Illinois, stepped it up a bit tonight and gave up 77 to Indiana.

I am thinking they might not have a good defense.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Bobdawolverweasel

Texas is rolling so far. M’s defense is not getting pressure on T’s QB and Texas is definitely not scared to move the ball by passing.

19. Bobdawolverweasel

I need to revise my earlier comment about Michigan’s “elite” defense. Sark is carving us up.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I of course like what went on in the 1st half. M made the mistakes and the Longhorn offense is doing everything right. I and all of the Fox analysts thought ti would be a close low scoring game. We'll see what happens in the 2nd half.

On other fronts, Oklahoma State is getting rolled at home, KState is getting rolled on the road to Tulane and Syracuse is looking like they might be for real with the old Buckeye QB.

Oh yeah and you can forget Penn State losing at the half to Bowling Green. Don't expect that to hold up but still..