Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I will be surprised if anyone challenged Kamala.

But if I am wrong, the challenger will need to make their move pretty quickly.

2. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Well-Known Member

Steve Forbes gives his take on some potential Democratic Party intrigue...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Michelle Obama. Interesting, I'm guessing she won't jump in unless it's a lock that she'll win the nomination.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Steve Forbes without question is intelligent and informed, but the "chatter" he's hearing likely is more conspiracy-based thinking than reality, something in which some far-right conservatives are well-versed these days. Nevertheless, it makes for spirited conversation. I find it hard to believe that Michelle Obama would consider even opening the door to such a conversation. I suspect - possibly erroneously - that the momentum will build for KH and that the Dems will take their chances, what though the odds be great or small. As for VP choice? I agree with Mr. Forbes that it could be a moderate governor (or senator like Mark Kelly?). I agree with my son's preference of Pete Buttegieg for Secretary of State. While many would like to see a KH-PB ticket, the combination may not be palatable to many of the more moderate-to-conservative undecideds, who very well may swing this election either way. Just my two cents' worth.

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I did find it significant and not accidental that Obama failed to provide Kamala with an endorsement....there is almost certain to be shenanigans afoot in some corner before this is over. Her VP pick will be interesting both in terms of timing and name. They desperately need PA so I'm guessing Shapiro is on the short list and even beginning to hear NC Gov Cooper which suggests that NC is in play which surprised me

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Long tweet by Victor David Hanson; Democracy Really Is Dying in Darkness—But by Whom? Never in modern presidential history has a political party staged a veritable inside coup to remove their current president from his ongoing candidacy for his party’s nomination and reelection. Stranger still, the very elites and grandees, who now are using every imaginable means of deposing Biden as their nominee, are the very public voices that just weeks ago insisted that candidate Biden was “sharp as a tack” and “fit as a fiddle.” And they damned any who thought otherwise! They are also the identical operators whose machinations ensured that there would not be an open Democratic primary. They demonized the few on the Left who weakly challenged Biden in the primaries. Yet now they will select a replacement candidate who likely never received a single primary vote. Note further: Biden’s impending forced abdication is not because he is non compos mentis. Rather, the inside move is due to Biden’s disastrous debate exposure that confirmed his dementia could no longer be disguised by a conspiracy of leftist politicos and media. But far more importantly, the impetus for removal is driven by the admission that the cognitively Biden is headed for a climactic November defeat. Were Biden now ahead in the polls by five points, these same backroom machinists would be insisting that he was still Pericles. Yet now Biden is being un-personed and Trotskyized, as we prepare the new groupthink narrative of his likely surrogate—a soon to be praised eloquent, mellifluous, and articulate Cicero-Harris. That Biden will likely remain as president until January 20, 2025, should remind the country the Left is more worried about its own next four-year continuance in power than the fate of the country that now admittedly will be guided in the next six months by a president judged unfit by his own supporters to run for the very office that he will still keep holding. Further irony arises when those who, as supposedly guardians of democratic norms, pontificated to the country the last nine years about the Trump-Hitlerian threat to democracy. Yet now they so cavalierly work overtime on how: a) to pull off the removal of their candidate from the November ballot on grounds of senility, b) but not the removal of the same president from office (their own fate is more precious than our collective fate as a nation), c) while trying to select, rather than elect, a replace candidate, d) without ever offering any explanation, much less an apology, how a Democrat president from January 20, 2021, was daily declared vibrant, dynamic, and engaged but suddenly one day after June 27, 2024, was remanufactured as not? Perhaps as an aid and primer on Biden removal they should reread the essay by former Obama Pentagon official Rosa Books. Just 11 days after the Trump inauguration, she published in Foreign Policy, “3 Ways to Get Rid of President Trump Before 2020”. It was a veritable manual on the various ways of removing the just inaugurated president—listing immediate alternatives to the distant 2020 election: impeachment and conviction, 25th-Amendment removal, and, barring all that, a military coup: “The fourth possibility is one that until recently I would have said was unthinkable in the United States of America: a military coup, or at least a refusal by military leaders to obey certain orders.” So, to make sense of what these self-appointed and sanctimonious protectors of democracy are trying to pull off demands an Orwellian vocabulary—memory hole, newspeak, unperson, and groupthink. Yet there is one more irony. Very soon, those who welcomed the protests of summer 2020 radicals, and exempted the rioting and violence, and then again did nothing in 2024 as mobs tore apart campuses and shut down public facilities, will host a Chicago convention—where those very same liberated forces may wreak havoc on the outside, while their backroom progenitors, with threats, money, and the media, will wreak havoc on democracy on the inside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

8. BuckeyeT

Let me echo former VP Mike Pence's comments here. I've never been a fan of Biden's but it's always a good thing when we see an elected official put Country before personal political interests. It's been a minute, to say the least

upload_2024-7-22_10-30-1.png

9. Stu Ryckman

Yeah, right...made the right decision for the good of the country. :rolleyes: No, they pulled him out kicking and screaming. But now he will be lauded as making the big sacrifice. And wait for the big love fest coming for Kamala...man is she ever great! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BuckeyeT

Say what you will, but there was no way to force him out, had he been so inclined he could have stayed. He did not. It was his decision and his decision alone to make and he made the right choice. I found it commendable that the VP had the grace to acknowledge what had to have been a very difficult decision and I agree with him.

Imagine for a brief moment, had we had more influential politicians of recent vintage that had the wisdom and nobility to make decisions counter to their own selfish, personal political interests in favor of the broader interests of the nation, we'd be in a whole helluva lot better and stronger place as a country.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
  11. BuckeyeT

Have we had an endorsement yet from Pelosi, Jeffries or Schumer? I haven't seen anything

12. Stu Ryckman

"Say what you will" but the fact as I believe it is that he was forced out in a party coup. Very non-democratic. If he had a prayers chance of winning, decrepid or not, he would have stayed (and they would have let him). If you think this showing by the media and the Democratic party shows concern for democracy and our country above self interest...then we're just gonna have to disagree. If they were worried about country they would have started working on him to leave months ago instead of propping him up like the moose head on the wall. Yeah, I know...pot can call the kettle black but please spare me the heroic sacrifice for democracy thing. Democracy is going down the tubes thanks to both parties.

13. Terry O'Keefe

The Spin Machine will be making a hero out of Uncle Joe, even though he didn't want to go.

14. BuckeyeT

Kudos then to the Dem party leadership and his inner circle for having the sack to convince him to go against his personal wishes and drop out. Refreshing to see something other than sycophants and kool-aid sotted imbeciles kissing the ring for the sake of political gain no matter the consequences to the nation. It has been sorely lacking of late and we have suffered mightily. Bravo

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Also the GOP should not break out the party hats over facing Harris. While her record is mediocre and thin and she's already been soundly rejected by voting Dems back in the 2020 primaries. Still they are going to forget all that and rally around her and I won't be shocked if she wins. The Democrats have a lot to lose down ticket if she does badly, so they will hit the polls in record numbers.

16. Stu Ryckman

Yeah except your Dem Party leadership were sycophants kissing the ring drinking the kool aid until they could no longer gaslight us. THEY KNEW. WE KNEW. Anyone paying any attention knew.

17. BuckeyeT

Mine???? I've never voted for a democratic candidate in any election national or otherwise, but whatever you say old buddy.....I make a post commending old political foes for a simple, yet refreshing act of grace not seen often, but sorely missed, in this day and get roasted for it. WTF? Def unnecessary, but a microcosm to where we are as a nation politically. smh

18. Stu Ryckman

Wasn’t labeling you as a Dem. I know better. But you were giving them kudos for their big sacks so for that moment they seemed to be your guys. I prefer to call them out for their hypocrisy. I don’t have guys anymore and I know you don’t either. But I cringe at giving props to those two faced gaslighters for finally being forced to do the right thing. I’ll shut up now cuz I think my position is clear. ;)

19. Terry O'Keefe

Kamala sounded good, confident and got some good gotchas on Trump in her press conference today.

GOP has to take her seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Lot of energy emerging for Harris. Hillary was not likeable, but in spite of the weak resume Harris is garnering a lot of support across the Democratic spectrum.

No doubt she is going to focus on Abortion and the various legal problems Trump has faced.

I think she's going to win unless she does something stupid.