College football recruiting and more

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

FWIW the Portal closes today, unless you are a graduate.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Apparently revenue sharing with athletes is about to become a factor, this is bound to have a major impact in what way I don't know but things which are already not the same are going to get even more out there from what we all knew. I hate to be a grinch but I don't really like the way things are going. As many of you have noted the professionalization of college athletics is not something I like.

Mostly because it promotes kids choices being about the money and with the easy transfer rules they can just go get more money and jump from school to school. Fewer kids who bleed "insert your school colors", now they'll just bleed green backs.

____________________________________________________________________________

The leaders of college sports are involved in "deep discussions" to reach a legal settlement that would likely lay out the framework for sharing revenue with athletes in a future NCAA business model, sources told ESPN.

The NCAA and its power conferences are defendants in an antitrust class action lawsuit, House v. NCAA, which argues that the association is breaking federal law by placing any restrictions on how athletes make money from selling the rights to their name, image or likeness. The case is scheduled to go to court in January 2025. If the plaintiffs win at trial, the NCAA and its schools could be liable to pay more than $4 billion in damages, which has motivated many leaders across the industry to seek a settlement.

Sources indicated the top-end revenue share number per school -- once it's determined -- would be in the neighborhood of $20 million annually, although that's yet to be settled. Whatever number is set by the settlement, individual schools will be able to opt in to share revenue up to that number with their student athletes at their discretion. (They could choose to share less, but not more.)

Sources: NCAA in talks to settle NIL antitrust case

3. Terry O'Keefe

Another trend I'm seeing that is upsetting is the kids are now starting to transfer even quicker. I've seen a number of kids who as early freshmen enrollee's have entered the portal after Spring drills, spent a semester and are looking for a new school. Also kids who transfer in the portal, like the Alabama OT who left for Iowa but after Spring Drills is leaving again, reportedly back to Alabama. Texas picked up a LB in the portal from Alabama and it's a position of need so he should have found a home, but he's back in the portal again looking for a better situation maybe more NIL who knows. It's just not a good trend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Another big money settlement. I'm not sure how all this money will be distributed and how far they will go back. ESPU guys think it'll go back to players from 2016 till the NIL money was legal. Why 2016? Seems like lawyers for players before that will want a cut. Then will all players get the same amount or will they give more to the top players and a pittance to guys who didn't play much.

The NCAA's national office might be footing the bill for a settlement expected to be more than $2.7 billion in the landmark House v. NCAA lawsuit and other related antitrust cases, in hopes of reshaping and stabilizing the college sports industry, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Sources told ESPN this week that parties have proposed the NCAA's national office -- rather than its individual member schools or conferences -- would pay for the settlement of past damages over a period of 10 years. The NCAA payments would be paid to former college athletes who say they were illegally prevented from making money by selling the rights to their name, image and likeness.

Sources: NCAA could pay $2.7B in antitrust suits

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Wow, all this big money is mind boggling.

No doubt some changes needed to be made but it all seems out of hand right now. Perhaps the NCAA proposal with some legislative backing might get some sanity back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Terry O'Keefe

4 teams have not taken a player from the portal.

USMA
    USAFA
    USNA
    Clemson

Dabo trying to hold on to the past is not very smart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense that the military academies wouldn’t seek or accept transfers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how the portal would work for the qualification process at the academies.

9. Terry O'Keefe

The Portal would only work for those who leave after heir freshman or sophamore years, which they can with no penalty. The Irish picked up a DB in Alohi Gilman who left after his freshman year. He had an excellent career at ND and plays for the Chargers. He left when they changed the rules that had allowed players to defer military service so they could play in the NFL.

LSU pitcher, Paul Skenes, who was the Ace of their Nat'l Title run last year was a USAFA Transfer

But certainly is not common. As far as transfering into the Academy, like you I"m not sure it would even be possible given you have to get an appointment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Oh Dabo...
    You are not long for this brave new world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

There is a paywall article on The Athletic on NIL/Recruiting where they quote anonymous sources from players, coaches, agents, GM's (yes colleges have GM"s or the equivalent). None of it is surprising and confirms what we all have been saying for awhile.

This one got to me though.

Agent 3: There are absolutely kids going into the portal that don’t want to go into the portal, but the parents orchestrate it. And a big thing now is (collectives giving) a separate NIL stipend for parents to go to the games. Because that gets expensive. You can get a situation where the player gets a certain amount of money, but the parents take a big chunk out of it, so now it’s a big thing for the parents to get a separate NIL stipend. And that’s a big thing for the kids, because the parents are a big influencer.

13. Scott88

Tim.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Jimbo speaks!

During an interview on Sirius XM radio, Fisher expounded on his views of the diverging nature in these tranches of programs. And he only thinks things are likely to become worse as more athletes transfer to play for the SEC and Big Ten programs with oodles of cash.

“Here’s what’s happening, all of your mid-majors and a lot of your not-mid-majors, I’m going to say some of your ACC, Big 12, old Pac-12, some of those leagues, they’re becoming glorified junior colleges,” Fisher said. “And some of those teams used to battle for playoffs and have great teams. They took that three-star guy or that four-star guy you missed and they developed him into a heck of a player and he became a great player at their school.

Fisher used arguably the best football player currently alive to make his argument: Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who was drafted out of Texas Tech with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

In the current paradigm of the sport, Fisher suspects that a player like Mahomes wouldn’t spend so long at a program that isn’t competing for championships, and would look to transfer to a bigger power that’s more competitive and lucrative.

And as long as some programs are coming from a position of power in terms of finances and seeming access to competing for championships, Fisher doesn’t see this new dynamic slowing down as high-level college football heads towards an employment-like model.

“How about Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech? Would he have ever stayed at Texas Tech? Somebody would have came and got him,” Fisher said. “You know what I’m saying? And what’s happening, your haves are out there saying, ‘OK, I need a corner and I need a tackle and I need a running back.’ And they’re going to these four-year schools and just selecting, and those guys are really becoming glorified junior colleges, and it’s a shame. I mean great college football programs that have won big in the past and have had tremendously great players. But that what’s changed.”

The post Jimbo Fisher claims ACC, Big 12 teams are becoming ‘glorified junior colleges’ appeared first on On3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Interesting Terry. College football has sure changed and not for the better in my opinion.

The NIL money is sure different than what I thought the intent was.

16. Terry O'Keefe

More to come, players jerseys will soon have advertising patches I bet.

Starting this season, the NCAA will allow commercial sponsor advertisements on football fields for regular-season games in all three divisions, the organization announced Thursday.

17. Scott88

They're trying to find a way to minimize their part of the settlement... so get more sponsors!
    :confused:

18. Terry O'Keefe

No kidding. I envision patches on the jerseys like NASCAR.

19. Terry O'Keefe

More interesting developments in football locker rooms. At Univ of Houston they are putting in a "Car Wash" for the players as they return to the locker room from practice. Then they go to a Ice bath. It's modeled after a similar setup at Michigan.

Coming soon to the University of Houston’s new football headquarters: the “Car Wash.”

Among the unique features of the $130 million Memorial Hermann Football Operations Center — which is set to open in summer 2025 — is an 1,800-square foot mud room that players will enter each day after practice.

As they come off the field, players will remove helmets and shoulder pads and place on a dry rack, cut off any medical tape, and go through a “car wash,” a corridor where water is sprayed from nozzles on the wall to remove any excess rubber pellets, dirt, grass or sweat.

From there, the Cougars will spend 60 to 90 seconds in a 4-foot-deep cold tub — where temperatures will range from 45 to 50 degrees — to assist in aid and recovery.

“While it may seem simple, if you keep smelly stuff out of the locker room, the locker room is a whole lot nicer and easier to maintain, and you get better life out of it,” T.J. Meagher, UH senior associate athletics director for facilities, operations and capital projects, said Friday during a tour of the construction site.

Meagher said the idea for the mud room came from Michigan’s Football Performance Center.

I'm not sure if you can read this but here's the link.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...tball-facility-car-wash-michigan-19503886.php

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Northwestern tore down its stadium and is rebuilding on the same site.

They have a Temporary stadium right on Lake Michigan that they will play some of the home schedule at. Any body wonder if wind might be a problem or want to sit in the stands for November games? :cool:

[​IMG]

Northwestern shows what lakefront football stadium will look like