College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Cool. Night games rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Just saw a bragging stat;
    Only 4 teams have multiple wins over Top 3 teams since 2020;

Georgia
    Alabama
    Michigan
    Purdue

Don't ask me how many or who. :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I do think the atmosphere for night games can be better than day games, but not always. It certainly creates problems for fans who want to drive home after the game. After a day game no problem, after a night game depending on the drive it's a problem.

I do think that in the South in Sept that night games make a lot of sense just from a heat problem. But TV runs the show. When I was a student at Texas we always had night games at home in Sept but then TV took over and we're playing 11AM games in the sweltering heat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Terry O'Keefe

What's your preference kp?

DESTIN, Fla. -- SEC commissioner Greg Sankey wouldn't say for certain whether the league would vote at its spring meetings this week on whether to use an eight- or nine-game conference schedule in football moving forward, but he said he already has "made clear what I think eventually should happen" and that he'd like to have a solution soon.

"I would prefer to not continue to circle the airport with the airplane," he said Monday.

But a resolution could be difficult as schools appear split on which scheduling formula is most beneficial. Issues of bowl eligibility, competitive balance and television revenue are expected to be part of the conversation. The upcoming expansion of the College Football Playoff to 12 teams is a factor as well. The two schedules at the center of the debate are an eight-game conference schedule that would feature one permanent opponent and seven rotating opponents, and a nine-game schedule with three permanent opponents and six rotating opponents.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I would like to play Auburn, Tennessee and LSU every year, so.the 9 game schedule seems.to be my choice. What I'd really like is to go back to a smaller conference altogether but I guess that's not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scott88

Nope... the horses are out of the barn, so it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Continuing talk about CU going to the B12. I am reading that Pac 12 teams are having to refund money and that is a big problem.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I hate this idea.

9. Scott88

Just another nail in the coffin for me.
    I hope we win a few this year... it's my last after 23 seasons in the stadium.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think there was a lot of frustration and sarcasm in that statement. The current system is ripe for abuse and no one is doing anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

More trouble for the Pac12. The Holiday is suing UCLA and the Pac12 for UCLA pulling out at the last moment in 2021 claiming Covid issues.

In court filings from San Diego County, the Holiday Bowl alleges that UCLA's decision to pull out of the 2021 Holiday Bowl due to Covid-19 concerns cost the organization millions in reimburse dtickets and sponsorships. After the league failed to reimburse the bowl game for the losses, the Holiday Bowl withheld the $3.2 million payout due to Oregon for participating in the 2022 Holiday Bowl. UCLA was not compensated for the 2021 game.

The Pac-12-Holiday Bowl partnership dates back more than 25 years. The report states that the Pac-12 notified the Holiday Bowl that it would sue for the 2022 payout if it was not completed; however, the Holiday Bowl beat the league to the courtroom.

Holiday Bowl seeks $3 million from UCLA, Pac-12 in lawsuit for 2021 no-show, per report

12. Terry O'Keefe

SEC has come to a schedule decision.

The SEC won't be moving to a nine-game conference schedule after all. But it will be going forward in 2024 without divisions.

Commissioner Greg Sankey told reporters Thursday that the league has approved a temporary eight-game conference schedule for the 2024 football season when it welcomes Texas and Oklahoma to the league.

Sankey said that the league will continue exploring scheduling options for 2025 and beyond.

SEC going to 8-game slate in '24 sans divisions

13. Scott88

I knew as soon as I saw that my AD supported the 9 game sched, they'd go with 8.
    :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

another nail in the coffin if they eliminate 70+ year old rivalries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorn QB room gets deeper. Ewers a 5 star kid, Malik Murphy a 5 star kid, Arch Manning a rock star (reluctantly) and now they get a kid out of that small town in Alabama, Tuscaloosa, K J Lacey a top 100 player and the #5 rated QB for 2025. Of course who will stick around is the other thing.

16. Terry O'Keefe

LSU will be the first football team to have air-conditioned helmets. It's pretty amazing, not sure if it's a competitive advantage or makes play8ing in the heat safer and more comfortable. Also given that football is a violent game, what happens if your airconditioned helmet go on the fritz.

LSU is ready to reveal some amazing new football helmet technology for the 2023 season.

In a move to fight against the heat and humidity in Louisiana, the Tigers program is equipping its players with air-conditioned football helmets, with the cooling technology provided by the local company, TigerAire.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/lsu-football-air-conditioned-helmets

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Cooler heads prevail.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

SEC has announced it's scheduling parameters for the next year, and now so has the Big 10. The biggest thing to me is no divisions anymore, that means that the teams that were formerly in the East and missed out on the championship game even though they were better than the West champion will now be in the Big 10 Championship game. Certainly can lead to rematches of Ohio State/Michigan game or Penn State being able to make the game even if they lose a game to either Ohio State or Michigan.

The Big Ten in 2024 will introduce a football schedule model that includes 11 protected matchups across the conference, eliminates divisions and targets a robust overall rotation as the league expands to 16 members with USC and UCLA.

The "Flex Protect Plus" model maintains a nine-game league schedule and contains both guaranteed annual matchups and rotating ones. Beginning in 2024, every conference pairing will take place at least twice in a four-year span, once at each member school's home stadium.

The list of annual protected matchups, which features historic rivalries and trophy games, varies in number among Big Ten teams.

The protected games are: Michigan-Ohio State, UCLA-USC, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Indiana-Purdue, Michigan State-Michigan, Iowa-Minnesota, Illinois-Northwestern, Iowa-Nebraska, Maryland-Rutgers, Iowa-Wisconsin and Illinois-Purdue. The Big Ten on Thursday announced all opponents for the 2024 and 2025 seasons, although specific dates will be finalized later.

Big Ten unveils new football sked model for 2024

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Maryland-Rutgers? Purdue-Indiana, and Purdue-Illinois? Much preferable over Michigan-Ohio State or Michigan State-Michigan. I understand that those games need to be played but some teams are making out. I lived in Maryland for 25 years and I know that Maryland-Rutgers is not a historic rivalry or trophy game. LOL!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree, kp, but in recent years, since both joined the B10 from other conferences, there may be a "developing" rivalry. Who knows? There are a few others in that list you posted that I question.

• Agree Agree x 1