Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

The big man can lift some weight that's for sure.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Irish fencing team wins their third straight NC. Irish have a great tradition in that sport that goes back to the days when Sid and I were there. Mike Decicco was the fencing coach back then and led the Irish to 5 National Championships over his tenure as coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish baseball had a good weekend with #6 ranked Louisville, took 2 out of 3.

Both lacrosse teams lost to UVA. The description of the mens loss to UVA was interesting. Apparently UVA has some really big and beefy players and I guess they bullied the Irish with their physicality. I don't know much about lacrosse but I would have thought you wouldn't want guys that are built like DL's on the team. But that is sort of the feeling that I got, UVA really good and really big.

4. Terry O'Keefe

First verbal for OL coach, Joe Rudolph, is Georgia OL Anthonie Knapp.

Roswell (Ga.) high school three-star offensive guard Anthonie Knapp is the latest class of 2024 prospect to commit to Notre Dame. The 6-4, 268-pounder, who will be an interior player along the offensive line at the next level, picked the Fighting Irish following an unofficial visit to South Bend this weekend.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Coach Shrewsberry is off to a good start with ND fans. He's, like his football counterpart, said all the right things that fans want to hear. Also it appears he will be bringing some freshmen that he'd recruited to Penn State with him and they are all pretty good players. So the fans have gone to thinking we'd end up with only a couple of players from this years team to form next years roster to now thinking this could be a pretty good/young team next year with the guys he's bringing and hopeful for some portal action.

6. Tim Gentry

Rudolph is going to have to do better than this.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah there is some grumbling from the fans that this young man is only a 3 star and we should have slow played him hunting for bigger game. I'm sort in the place where "I'm trusting the coach".

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The kids from GA. I assume the coach has had the opportunity to evaluate him. I'd like to think that his first recruit is a keeper. So like Terry I'm trusting the coach. (at least he's out recruiting.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tim Gentry

His only big time offers were Penn St. an ND.

10. Terry O'Keefe

True for sure, but sometimes coaches just see something. Jarrett Patterson was not highly recruited.

11. Tim Gentry

We'll see. Hope for the best.

12. Terry O'Keefe

While nothing official has happened, there is sure a lot of action around the Men's Basketball program since Coach Shrews has been hired. All kinds of names from the Portal, kids from PSU and other positive stuff. I hope it all comes together for him. It'll be nice if he can get us back to being relevant in the ACC

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Hard to get much feel for ND Spring, as always lots of positives coming out of the Spring reports. We've got a couple of RB's who are coming back from injury in JD Price and Gi'Bran Payne. Some good reports on Sam Hartman but nobody is saying ...oh my god can you believe how good he is, lots of positive's coming out about Tyler Buchner. Good press on Audric Estime, he's sounding like he'll be the Bell Cow of the RB's.

Everybody worries about who will start at OG (R & L).

Mainly i don't think we've had anybody who has had a serious injury and that's a big win always.

As I said there is a lot of things up in the air with regards to the Mens Basketball roster right now and things are looking positive.

There has been no movement on the Women's Basketball roster, no word at all about Olivia Miles and her treatment/rehab/surgery.

Baseball seems to be trending in a positive direction as does Softball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's Lacrosse ranked #2 took down #1 ranked Duke at home today 19-12. Irish have a bit of a history in the 1 v 2 Lacrosse.

#1 vs. #2

• Saturday’s matchup will mark the fourth time in program history that Notre Dame has been involved in a No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup based on the USILA poll.

• The Irish are 2-1 over the three games, with all three taking place at Arlotta Stadium and two coming in ACC matchups.

• The Irish fell in overtime to No. 2 Denver in the most recent top-ranked matchup during the 2016 season by a score of 9-8.

• No. 1 Notre Dame defeated No. 2 UNC in April of the 2015 season in a 15-14 comeback thriller.

• The first top-ranked matchup that featured the Irish came in a March matchup in 2015 against No. 1 Syracuse, as the Irish pulled out a 13-12 win in double overtime.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I watched most of that ND-Duke game. Those Kavanaughs are really great players. They've got a great shot at the NC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

watching 2021 Wisconsin v Notre Dame. i have a good feeling about this game. :D

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry you wrote a few posts ago this "
    Everybody worries about who will start at OG (R & L)."
    I fear that they may be right. I could be a reason why Harry H. retired.

18. Terry O'Keefe

The thing that gets ;me gip is that when these guys were recruited all the press was how they were such great recruits, future was bright along the OL. Rocco Spindler was hailed as the next Q.Nelson.

Now they aren't...what's up with that.

I think HH retired when he saw that not only was Kelly gone but now Tommy Rees was gone and he didn't want to deal with all the changes. Had enough in the bank to retire and enjoy life. I did thnk he might have stayed as an Offensive Analyst but maybe that was never offered. I have thought that maybe he and Freeman didn't quite hit it off as Freeman wants everybody to be really excited and out there recruiting and that was never Harry's strong suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

My twin grandsons saw him at their Indy area HS (Hamilton Southeastern HS) a couple (few?) months ago talking to junior OT Styles Prescod, whom they later offered a scholarship and who since has received offers from several power 5 programs.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Big news for the WBB program. Although I'm suprised that Iowa/Catlin Clark isn't one of the teams. But if Olivia Miles is back and we still don't know the injury. She has had surgery, but ACL or something else. If it's ACL that would be tough for her to be back by November.

The South Carolina and Notre Dame women's basketball teams will open next season in Paris on Nov. 6, the schools announced Wednesday.

It's the first time an NCAA regular-season basketball game has been played in the French capital, which will host the 2024 Summer Olympics.

"Playing Notre Dame in Paris is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes, and I'm thankful for the support of our administration and our donors," South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said.