College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Looking at George's list, Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, are the same teams who have dominated recruiting and the rankings for quite awhile. USC is a team that is always great when they have a great coach, they have access to so much talent in the So.Cal area hat wants to go to USC. I'm doubtful though that Wisconsin and Texas A&M will join that annual elite even with NIL money.

I'd say that in spite of being just good not great Clemson has a good chance that they will return to the elite. I saw where Dabo fired his OCoord and hired Garrett Riley from TCU (Lincoln's little brother) whois the Bryoles winner as the top assistant and a hot coach. Jimbo tried to hire him for A&M.

If Michigan keeps Jim Harbaugh I think they can build off of 2 CFP appearances to return to being elite and equal to Ohio State. They have resources and I don't doubt their committment to being elite. They at this time though aren't quite playing the NIL game like some teams who have been very agressive in using it as a recruiting tool. For example, Miami.

I do think the combination of NIL and the Portal will allow teams like TCU to have that magical season but they still aren't a destination program and won't be able to assemble rosters like Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama on a consistent basis. Michigan State in 2021 had a great season off of the Portal, not so much this year, it's hard to basically rebuild with the Portal every year.

2. Terry O'Keefe

So this kid was originally committed to Miami with a big NIL deal, then decided it wasn't for him and changed to the Gators where he also supposedly got a big NIL deal ...now he wants out of Gainesville rumors are that he didn't get the NIL money he thought he was promised. These are the things that really give the whole thing a bad name.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

4. Terry O'Keefe

LOL...I play golf with an LSU alum and told him after seeing Nussmeier arm in the SEC Championship game and the bowl game that Walker Howard was packing his bags with Jayden Daniels coming back and a 4 star early enrollee and a 5 star coming in 2024...that room is too crowded.

Florida might be a good destination! But he has to make the right choice as you only get 1 free transfer after that it's sit out a year.

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Add CJ Williams to the Air Raid in Wis. He transferred there. Not enough snaps out at usc?

6. Scott88

Well that is until a kid sues the NCAA for their rules being arbitrary and not fair. A coach can change schools ANY TIME he wants...
    :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Kiffin poached Alabama DCoord, Pete Golding, to take the same position at Ole Miss. Golding said he wasn't pushed out, but thought the move was best for him and his family. From what I remember kp won't be very stressed by this loss on the coaching staff.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Brian Hartline is the new Ohio State OCoord, not a big surprise. Hartline is a rock star and he's been a hot commodity for several years but his loyalty to OSU kept him patient waiting his turn. His time has come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

This is a growing trend. NIL deals for the entire football roster. I think Brady Quinn who leads the ND NIL Collective has said they fund all the football team and I think maybe the Womens basketball team and their goal is to fund every student athlete at Notre Dame.

Oklahoma has taken it up a notch though.

Crimson and Cream announced Friday it’s signed or has offered a NIL deal to the entire 115-member Sooner football roster. The deals include every player currently on scholarship, walk-ons, transfers and even mid-year recruits enrolled for the spring semester. Starting quarterback Dillon Gabriel announced he had officially signed with Crimson and Cream on Friday.

The announcement is a significant sign the Sooners are becoming major players in the NIL ecosystem after fans have seen how deals have impacted roster management and player retention with top programs across the country.

“Every single student-athlete – scholarship or non-scholarship walk-on — are getting this opportunity,” Crimson and Cream and CEO Jason Belzer told On3.

“Everybody. All the portal kids. All the mid-year freshmen that are enrolling early. I don’t know what other schools have done. But I think we’re the first – if not one of the first – school to have everybody on a FBS roster fully signed to what is a multi, multi-million-dollar payroll.”

Oklahoma-focused Crimson and Cream announces teamwide NIL deal for football roster

10. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Nope, Alabama’s defense was not up to Alabama standards. I wondering what “analysts” we have in the stable?

12. Scott88

I'd let ya poach DJ Durkin!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Y'all, HBCU football is fun. They'll win halftime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scott88

Ya gotta love Kiffin... takes a picture from plane with a blue stripe on the wing (Ole Miss) and posts it as if its weird to see one with maroon on it...

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Scott88

He's really going to have a fit when he pulls up next to this one:

AgJet.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Agree with this except I have to rank NIL right there with the Portal.

17. Gator Bill

NIL is uncontrolled and not only giving a bad name but has the potential to ruin my favorite game. Watching more NFL games than I have in a long time right now.

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, I think I'll go the other way. I'll watch less football overall.

19. Gator Bill

That would be hard for me as I was watching almost none.

However this season have been watching a lot of Kansas City games. I have family there and have always had some interest in their teams. But their QB now, Mahomes, is really spectacular and I enjoy watching and rooting for him.

20. Gator Bill

• Like Like x 1