Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Terry,
    With the one exception ending in the pick six(should have been a run by Estime), Rees called a good game. Some stuff in the run game we hadn't seen and yes, used the passing game!! Took a while for TB to get it going but eventually he starting hitting the receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry, for your objective analysis. That's what I always have like about your posting. You call it as you see it, both good and bad. I'm beyond the "shaking my head" phase of reacting to the obstinacy of those who refuse to let facts get in the way of their biases. I now just consider it white noise and quietly move on to more rational commentary like yours.

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The game was as wacky as the compositions of the starting lineups. ND was missing their starting QB, their AA tight end and Defensive end, their starting Free safety and one of the Amendilola brothers. South Carolina was missing nine starters as well as 7 others including several rotation players. Their starting RB and all of their starting WRs except one were out. At one point in the red zone South Carolina had three defensive players line up on offense including a DE at slot WR. In the end it was entertaining because both teams played their hearts out. Buchner played the kind of game you would expect from a guy who has not played in four months but he did come through when he had to and the players seemed to feed off of him. The defense really stepped it up in the second half. It was a fun game and a nice win in the context of the circumstances. Now, here's a thought. Drew Pyne was thrown into the fray in Week 2 and did a good job given his limitations. Then he was told that Buchner was going to start the bowl game if ready and they would be looking for a QB in the portal. He bolted in a New York minute. Now Buchner leads the team to a bowl win under tough circumstances with the specter of Sam Hartman being crowned the starter any day now. Is there any chance he doesn't follow Pyne out the door?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

As an aside, the Irish Men's Basketball lost again yesterday, unless something changes they aren't going to win very many more games this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Being objective is 18 of 33 with 3 TDs and 3 ints. a great game? If our running game hadn't dominated that game we would have been in real trouble. I'm sure that there are some schools that are hard up for a mediocre QB but if he hits the portal we won't be losing much. Besides, odds are he'll be hurt by the third game if he's a starter.

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

One more thing... I like enthusiasm in a coach but Beamer was a little over the top. He was jawing with the refs the whole game. He sure didn't help his team with that bench penalty. It was the freakin' Gator Bowl. Maybe playing ND does that to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Seems to be trending that Hartman will announce for ND 1st week in January.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I guess I can't be objective. Buchner played his heart out and made a couple of really bad throws but he was money when we needed him. He was the Gator Bowl MVP and deserved it. What happens next year at QB I don't know, I will be surprised if it's not Sam Hartman starting the season at QB. I don't know what Buchner will do if he comes out of the Spring #2 to Hartman. But I hope he stays. Back in the day we had a lot of QB's who stayed and eventually had success. Just look at Kevin McDougal. Joe Montana was 7th string at one point and Dan Devine kept him on the bench till he had to play him.

If he stays as a backup in 2023 he's got a great shot to be the starter in 2024. But I'll be forever grateful that he worked hard in his rehab and gave all in the Gator Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tim Gentry

I'm pretty sue he stays Terry. At least for one more season. He knows that even if he doesn't start he is one play from being the starter again and he could get meaning reps during the season. I like him a lot but he needs more experience.

13. Tim Gentry

Hopefully so.

14. Tim Gentry

gipper,
    I don't know if it was a great game but we wouldn't have won it without him cause Pyne wouldn't have made the throws and runs he did. For this one game it was good enough. He won't be the starter if Hartman comes but ya gotta love the kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry by 2024 I'd expect Minchey to be a top candidate for QB with Carr next in line.

16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm not taking for granted that any of them stay if Hartman comes, especially Buchner.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women handled BC
    today, the new girl Cassandra Prosper is getting in and showing that she is as good as her recruiting hype.

If these ladies stay healthy they have a good shot at going a long way in the Tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tim Gentry

You know the more I watch the replay of the Gator Bowl the more I realize how much upside there is to Tyler Buchner. I mean in that game you could finally see he could be very good at ND if given time but it will take some game time experience to do so. The mistakes he made are correctable and you can see he can make the throws and adding the upside of his mobility just makes the run game that much better. You just know if he transfers out in a year or so he will be doing some really good things a another program and we'll be wishing he stayed.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My final thoughts on Buchner. His record as a starter is 1-2. We were favored to win in 2 of those games. He's got a history of being injury prone both in HS and now at ND. He waits too long to throw and gets hit right after release and doesn't have time to protect himself. He eats up starters reps in preseason and practice and in less than 2 games you're relying on a backup. He misses too many short "easy" throws because he doesn't instinctively throw but aims. I don't think you can rely on him to play a full season and make the playoffs.

20. Terry O'Keefe

One thing for sure is that if we want competition then if Buchner stays and Hartman comes and Angeli (Tim's Favorite) is in the mix along with the new kid Minchey...then we've got competition. Never a bad thing. Of course in the modern NIL era keeping a competitive QB room is always the issue. We could be faced with Hartman, Minchey and Ron Powlus as the QB room next fall!