Notre Dame vs Boston College.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Senior Day is always a worry, have to get the team focused on the game and not all the emotion of it being their last home game of their careers. But since we lost to Va.Tech in that horrible 2016 season we've won all of our senior day games.

In fact in 2015 we played BC on Senior Day and won a close game 19-16. Just looking at that 2015 team we lost 2 games both by 2 points. 24-22 at Clemson and 38-36 at Stanford. That was a realky good team

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The concept of central New Jersey has only recently become accepted. In the past it was strictly north/ south. But now it has been decided that central NJ is the area between the Raritan River in Edison and Berkeley Township to the south But in this state everything goes by the Garden State Parkway mile markers so in this case the central part of the state is MM 127 south to MM 77.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That description makes sense.

4. Terry O'Keefe

One guru's view of B.C.

From Jamie Uyeyama of Irish Sports Daily

This Saturday’s game could be close, but it shouldn’t be. Al Washington, a former coach and alum at BC, should have his defensive line starving to dominate this game against what might be the worst Power 5 offensive line in the country. This team is last in yards per carry and 116th in sack rate. The Irish are 11th in the country in sack rate on defense and have to be licking their chops to get more than a handful of sacks on Senior Day.

BC also has a defense that is 109th in the country in EPA per rush. Navy came in as a stout defense against the run. BC’s run defense is not in the same league.

6 Thoughts on a Thursday

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Really great video of Josh Lugg after practice. This is his last game at Notre Dame Stadium. He's been battling injuries most of his career and he's taken a lot of fan abuse over the years on message boards. But what a class act. I like what he said about NIL. Esp his reference to Michael Mayer, "everybody knows Michael Mayer is going to get more NIL than Josh Lugg, but that's great I want to see him be successful" or something like that.

6. Terry O'Keefe

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I echo Terry’s comments about the John Sot article. I highly recommend that you read it.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that Mason is a semifinalist for asst. coach of the year. It's not often that special teams has been so influential on a teams success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Ladies Class ended up #5

5. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Highest-ranked commit: PG Hannah Hidalgo (No. 5)
    Previous ranking: unranked

Hidalgo is a shifty, speedy and aggressive lead guard whose game grew tremendously over the past year. She added consistency from 3, which made her really tough to cover. She is a relentless defender, especially when pressuring the ball. No. 16 Cassandre Prosper was one of the hottest recruits of the summer, as she led her Canadian U17 national team. She is a smooth, versatile forward who likes to attack from the wing and high-post areas and does a good job on the glass. No. 20 Emma Risch is a stock-rising sharpshooter with a great feel for the game. She is poised and patient, and she makes others better.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Church of Christ vs Catholic Church....or Lipscomb vs Notre Dame! The Bisons gave the Irish all they could handle, but a Dane Goodwin 3 pointer at the end gave us the 66-65 win.

Just my opinion but we are not good on defense, Lipscomb was able to get inside on us and make a lot of points, some of them pretty easy bunnies. Irish lived and died on the 3 point line. It's been that way in all of our games, inside points hard to come by for us, easy for the opponents.

We are getting good play from the true freshman JJ Starling, and Trey Wertz is a much better player this year. Laz as our big man is not going to cut in the ACC. But we'll find out pretty quickly with our ACC/Big 10 Challenge opponent Michigan State who has played a much tougher schedule so far on Nov 30th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women's soccer beat Santa Clara tonight. 4-0. On to the sweet 16.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Basketball. My armchair reaction to watching the USI game is that our style of play hasn't changed from past seasons. I agree with Terry about our lack of defense and our reliance on 3s. I don't have high expectations. I just hope we have a decent ACC season and get to participate in March Madness.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

MSU defeats Nova and Indiana wins over Xavier. Illini win over UCLA, not a bad day for Big Ten teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

15. Terry O'Keefe

Brutal weather in South Bend today. I'm seeing posts from fans who are not going to go even though they are there and have tickets. Some reference the 1991 Navy game as the worst weather in modern ND football. I think JO'Co might have been at that game, I think maybe Sid as well.

I saw one say that it wasn't getting out of the 20's, 2-5 inches of snow and wind gusts up to 35mph.

In Notre Dame Stadium (since 1930) the Irish are 5-0 in snow games - 9-7 vs. Navy 1937, 40-12 vs. Southern Cal 1957, 48-0 vs. Army 1974, 17-16 vs. Penn State 1992 and 23-13 vs. BYU in 2013.

— Notre Dame Football PR Team (@NDFootballPR) November 18, 2022

With a forecast of 26 degrees for the game tomorrow vs. Boston College, Irish are looking at the coldest home game since BYU in 2013 (also 26 degrees).

The coldest before BYU in '13 was 24 degrees against Navy in 1991.

— Notre Dame Football PR Team (@NDFootballPR) November 18, 2022

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's got to be lake effect snow. I'm watching the game from Ann Arbor and it's sunny. Then there's Buffalo ....

17. Terry O'Keefe

You're in Ann Arbor?

18. Terry O'Keefe

Irish open with a 51 yd run but can't push it in for the score and have to settle for FG. Then Freshman phenom CB Ben Morrison picked off BC and the Irish get the ball in the red zone and score. I have to say that the refs gave us that score, it probably should have been 4th on the 1 inch line.

10-0 Irish

19. Terry O'Keefe

A nice drive by the Irish, featuring the much maligned Drew Pyne throwing the ball. Including a TD from the 1 yard line to former walk-on and graduating senior Matt Salerno!

17-0 Irish

20. Terry O'Keefe

Good drive that ended in a FG. 20-0