College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Week 10 already! It's getting real, CFP rankings are out, the players in the playoffs have been identified. 16 is the lowest ranked team in the initial rankings that made the playoffs and that was the Buckeyes in the 1st year.

#16 this year is Illinois, if they run the table and win the B1G Championship they will make the CFP playoffs. Not very likely of course.

1. Tenn @ Georgia The game of the year. #1 vs #3 Hooker and the explosive Tenn offense vs the great defense of Georgia between the Hedges. Hooker wins here and might as well give him the Heisman! The Vols have supplanted Georgia as the #1 team, can't sit too well with the defending Champs. But the Vols are underdogs, 8.5 points, so gamblers aren't impressed. College Footblall these days turns on which team has the best QB/Offense. Hooker vs Stetson Bennett is not a contest. Bennett won the Nat'l Title last year so he's not chopped liver, but Hooker is just better bigger faster. So we shall see. That Alabama defense with Will Davis was thought by many to be the best Alabama defense in quite a while, but Hooker made them look ordinary. Can he do that to the Dawgs? Are the Vols the 2019 LSU Tigers with Joe Burrow? We'll see.

2. Ohio State @ Northwestern. No contest here, Buckeyes can name the score.

3. Georgia vs Tenn

4. Clemson @ Notre Dame ...see the ND topic.

5. Michigan @ Rutgers another no contest game and I doubt they get mugged after game even though it's Jersey!

6.Alabama @ LSU A very interesting game, this LSU squad is much better than the team that lost to FSU and got routed by the Vols. But they don't have enough to beat the Tide. Both coaches have had the week off to prepare for this game. You have to give the edge to Nick Saban who has easily handled Brian Kelly coached teams and Kelly has only won a few games where he didn't have the edge in talent and he doesn't have the edge in talent this weekend either. What he does have is a Jayden Daniels who is playing very well, and if Daniels can play like he did vs Fla and Ole Miss, then LSU might make the game closer than anybody expects. What's likely to happen even though Death Valley on a Saturday night is a tough place to win, is a double digit Alabama win.

7. TCU vs Texas Tech I think Tech is missing their #1 QB, and has lost 3 of their last 4 games. While TCU is riding the hot hand of Max Duggan. You have to like TCU in this game, but they can't be looking ahead to their trip to Austin next weekend.

8. Oregon @ Colorado Buffs are a team who has nothing going for them and the Ducks are a team on the rise behind a reborn Bo Nix. Ducks can name the score.

9. USC vs CAL Golden Bears on a 4 game losing streak, Trojans have 1 loss already and can't afford another loss and won't get one here. they probably will score 50 or 60 on CAL.

10. LSU vs Alabama.

12. UCLA @ Arizona State another team with an Interim Coach. Bruins already have 1 loss and need to keep wining to stay in the race to the Pac12 Championship game. They'll get it here, easily.

13. KState vs Texas KState looked incredible last week vs Oklahoma State a team that beat the Longhorns the week before. The game is in Manhattan Ks, Bill Synder Family Stadium. Longhorn QB Quin Ewers was terrible vs OSU, Sark says it's an anomaly and that he has confidence in him. If Texas is to have a chance they have to have the Ewers who we saw vs Alabama. Sadly I think a road game vs a hot and well coached team like KState is too big a mountain for the young 'horns. Deuce Vaughn and Will Howard will be too much for Texas.

Fla @ Texas A&M a game of little significance for the 2022 season but is really a big game for the Aggies. They have settled on Conner Weigman a true freshman who looked really good in the loss to Ole Miss. I don't think the Gators have the running game that Ole Miss has so the Aggie defense won't be stressed. Also Jimbo under a lot of fire and he needs to get the win, he's not going to get fired but there might be a come to Jesus meeting with the AD over his staff composition and the play caller.

There are other meaningful games this weekend conference standings can be impacted, where bowl eligibility can be earned with the 6th win.

FSU @ Miami once a premier game every year now the 'Noles need the win to become bowl eligible and the Caines need the win to get some type of momentum to try and finish the season on an upswing after a terrible start this year.

Iowa @ Purdue The Boilermakers have 2 losses and BTW leader Illinois has 1 loss, they go to Illinois next week so a win here is a must to make that showdown in Champaign a big game.

Baylor @ OU Another game where conference standings and a chance at the Champ game are in play. Baylor has 2 losses in conference and if they win out they likely make the Conf Champ game. OU with 3 losses isn't likely but they can get bowl eligible with a win. Baylor has a tough finishing schedule with KState and TCU coming up. But win those and they are in a good position going into the season ending game in Austin with Texas.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Once again if Alabama can avoid a 15 penalty game or a 4 turnover game, we should win. I think Bryce Young is 100% but I hope Saban plays our freshmen receivers... alot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Michigan gets mugged in Jersey there will not be any witnesses. Fuggedaboutit !

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Would love to see drunk cajuns filing out of Doof Valley before the half... :D

Watched some taped analysis of Weigman, and wow what a difference the quick decision/release makes in taking pressure off an OL in disarray. Florida's scrambling QB is a problem for us... the young DL hasn't been able to stay in their lanes lately when rushing the passer... if they don't the UF QB will run wild. If they do, I like our chances.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Buckeyes may have their hands full Saturday in Evanston with the weather. Rain and winds gusting up to 30 mph. Our less than stellar running game needs to come alive if the offense is neutralized with windy conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I want to see LSU washed out of the stadium by the Tide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Run game needs work for sure, looks like they'll have plenty of opportunity this weekend

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Rumors are that there may be smoke coming from the Vatican later.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scott88

I never knew there were that many Catholics in Nebraska! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Scott88

Lots of rumors that a big chunk of the Aggies are down with the flu. Might be a LOT of no names out there tomorrow against the Gators...
    It's possible no Connor Weigman either.
    2022 has not been our year.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The SEC is supposedly studying how to stop fans from rushing the field. Alabama has it figured out. You just have to get the fans used to winning SEC and National Championships, so winning a game is not a reason for tearing down goalposts.:)

12. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A different time of the year I'd take that to mean that Nebraska is about to name it's new HC. But unless it's Mickey Joseph it's too early. Currently employed coaches like Lance Leopold won't negotiate while they are still employed. So what's going on?

13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Probably just rumors...but it was said the board of regents are supposed to meet today.

14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

On a personal note, I have no problem if they offer Mickey. I think he really wants it, and with his alumni status, those are huge pluses. Oh...and they guy can recruit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Been traveling, to Florida for a class reunion and to visit our daughters.

Gators not having a great, not even good, year. Neither are the Aggies. Don't want to call the game today a great game because it isn't. However whichever team loses continues their agony.

Aggies a couple of point favorites and I understand they have a lot of players out with the flu. Might keep the Gators in the game. :(

Tennessee and Georgia today, big game. I am pulling for Tennessee.

16. Gator Bill

Here's hoping the opposite, the Gators need a win badly.

17. Gator Bill

AJ, I am really surprised Frost was such a failure. When the Gators fired Mullen the coach most wanted by Gator fans was Frost. I thought he would really be successful.

I am also very happy with the guy we hired, Billy Napier. I believe in the long run he will be successful in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Word is the young man has some pers demons and work ethic issues. Yes very disappointing for good ol' Nebraska U, but that water is well past the bridge. Problem is we're trending with hires and failures since 2003. Time to stop that BS.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Northwestern has 2 4th and one stops against Ohio State in the first quarter.

20. Gator Bill

Know that feeling.

Thanks for the reply.