College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Dont let it get to you Aggie. Ive been going through this since 2003...here's my coping song...Sing it with me Scott...."Somewhere, over the Rainbow".....

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

A&M gave him a big raise and a new 10 year contract just last year. I think the buyout craze is really foolish. I understand the fact that the coaches want some kind of protection but the employer is giving away all of their protection against lack of performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Well the good thing for me is: I don't really care anymore.
    10 years ago I'd be losing my mind.
    Now it's just a "fun" diversion. I'm really having to think about what I'll do on Sept 5.
    Go to the Florida game, or be in the blind ready for opening day of rifle season?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Week 9 is here folks, it's flying by.

Some good games on Thursday night, no CFP implications but certainly conference implications.

Va.Tech @ NC State State has lost their QB for the year, that is a big blow, but VaTech is a dumpster fire right now having lost 4 straight. I imagine NC State with a good solid and stable coaching staff is the key here.

Utah at Washington State. That loss to UCLA a couple of weeks ago really hurt the Utes, but they come back and beat USC so they are back in the hunt. Coogs have lost 3 Pac 12 games so they are pretty much out of it and the Utes no doubt will be motivated to keep up the hopes for making the Pac12 Champ game.

Not much on Friday night..but Sat has some big games.

1. Georgia v Florida in the Worlds Largest Cocktail party in Jacksonville. Dawgs have taken control of the rivalry after years of losing to Spurrier. Gators just don't have enough firepower to keep up with Georgia, unless the Dawgs are peeking at next week and the matchup with the Vols

2. Ohio State @ Penn State A very big game for both teams, the Nits need the win if they hope to have a shot at the Big 10 East, the Buckeyes need the win if they want to play in the CFP. I think BuckeyeT has noted that recently these games have been very tough competitive games. Michigan took the Nits to the woodshed 2 weeks ago, can the Buckeyes do the same?

3. Tenn v Kentucky Vols are healthy and focused, I don't expect the goal posts to end up at the bottom of the Tenn River, but I do expect a big win for the Vols. Will Levis is back at QB for Kentucky that gives them a shot at not getting blowng out, but right now the Vols just have too much firepower.

4.Michigan v Michigan State. Jim Harbaugh has the Wolverines playing at a very high level, the young QB is playing well, they are running the football and they are playing good defense. Can't say any of those things about Michigan State. I do think that Mel Tuckers paycheck is bigger than Harbaughs right now though.

5. Clemson gets the week off to prepare for ND...ACC schedules these bye weks for most of the ACC/ND games. Bastards!

6. Alabama @ LSU Brian Kelly has faced Nick Saban twice in the playoffs, he's not done well. I do think LSU is a pretty good team right now, but not good enough to handle Alabama right now. Alabama knows they can't afford another loss and Saban has their attention. It will be fun though to see if Jayden Daniels who has been sensational in the last few games can keep the Bayou Kitties in the game till the end.

7.. TCU @ West Virginia TCU has had a magical season so far, but going to Morgantown will put a lot of stress on keeping it going. They have comeback the last two weeks to win exciting games. Can they keep it up? Max Duggan if he keeps playing the way he has been playing will work his way into the Heisman conversation. West Virgina is not an easy out.

8. Oregon @ CAL Ducks have been on a roll since the bad loss to Georgia, mostly on the play of Bo Nix who has been really good, no wild up and downs like at Auburn. CAL a solid team but I expect the Ducks will keep on winning.

9.Oklahoma State @ KState a huge B12 matchup, both are still in the race for the B12 Champisonship, both have lost to TCU in similar fashion. Should be a heck of a game, but big question is the KState QB. Adrian Martinez status is up in the air and he was having a great season, the backup did a pretty good job vs TCU. But Spencer Sanders is 100% and that's the key to this game I think.

10. USC @ Arizona USC after losing on the road last week at Utah will not lose to Arizona. They need to win to stay in the Pac12 race. Not to mention that if they can win out they can maybe get to the CFP of course the same could be said about Oregon as well. Since the Pac12 doesn't play a round robing anymore Oregon and USC won't meet in the regular season.

There's more!

Stanford @ UCLA Stanford on a mini win streak, but it's not really impressive as they barely eeeked out wins over medicocre Irish and Arizona State teams. UCLA bound to be smarting from that loss to Oregon and can't afford another loss, they should handle the Trees with ease before a crowd of thousands.

Wake Forrest @ Louisville Wake has a great season going only loss was an OT thriller to Clemson, they will need Clemson to lose 2 games for them to make the ACC Championship game, but they certainly can make a New Years 6 bowl game.

Illinois @ Neb Illini are in the lead in the BTW thanks to Purdue losing last weekend. They need to keep winning though and Neb has been showing some life since Scott Frost was fired.

Ole Miss @ Texas A&M. Aggies are one beat up football team, lost players to suspension, are down 3 starting OL's, Jimbo getting cries to give up his OCoord dealings. Aggies QB situation is shaky. Ole Miss stung last weekend by LSU, but they are at least healthy and no doubt will arrive focused as they can not afford to lose.

Longhorns get the week off to licks their wounds from the disappointing loss to Oklahoma State. Hopefully the weeks rest will get Longhorn QB, Quinn Ewers, and his receivers on the same page.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry.

7. Scott88

That article makes the mistake of mentioning TexAgs. As soon as I saw that... well I knew it was more of a fan hit-piece than any kind of analysis.
    Funny thing how Jimbo got stupid so fast. Seems to me he had a pretty good team a couple of years ago that just missed the playoff by a hair...
    This team is young, but it's main problem is injuries. Losing QB's two years in a row isn't a recipe for success. Never playing a game with the same OL lineup isn't either.
    When you put those things together you get some rough offense.
    2020 team was the opposite, and won 10.
    I do think Jimbo needs to come away from his NFL offense and see what's working elsewhere.
    He doesn't have NFL hours to practice, and so the perfection required isn't going to be there.
    The defense is not bad. We are definitely missing Mike Elko, but with all those freshman playing they are going to be pretty salty when everyone is on the same page regardless of who the DC is.
    The truth is, one of the reasons Jimbo got that contract is because Aggies have a history of meddling and getting fidgety.
    In a time when everything is instant... we needed to play the long game.
    This season isn't' going to end up how we wanted, but I don't think it's even close to time to burn things down and start over...

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, Alabama LSU is next Saturday.:). I have this Saturday to watch everyone else sweat.

9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

That was boring Doc. How about - The Cornhuskers have awaken from their past leadership failures and non commitment to true Husker Nation Football, and have emerged from that self imposed coma and have started to play with the "WE ARE NEBRASKA ATTITUDE" fervently injected back into their veins by another former NU QB that this time, gets it. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Thanks for the heads up! I see that LSU also is idle this weekend. So both teams have the week to get dinged up players healthy and to dive deeply into their opponents.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Frustrated ND fans would do well to heed Scott's words.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Am I the only one who thinks Hendon Hooker looks like he's in his early 30's?

o_O

13. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like the limit on official visits is going to go away. Doesn't seem like a big deal, I'm guessing that not that many kids take all 5 visits as it is.

Official and unofficial visits

If the recruiting proposal is adopted in January, prospects will no longer have a limit to the number of official visits they can make to NCAA member schools. Prospects would be limited to one official visit per school, unless there is a head coaching change after an official visit, in which case prospects would be able to complete a second official visit to the same school.

Schools would be permitted to cover travel costs, transportation, meals and reasonable entertainment for up to four individuals accompanying a prospect on their official visit. Those guests could include family members, their high school or club coach, or any other individual who helps the prospect with the college decision-making process.

During unofficial visits, schools would be permitted to provide complimentary admissions to a home athletics event to prospects and up to four guests.

Council introduces proposals related to official visits, coaching limits - NCAA.org

14. Terry O'Keefe

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, what's going on with Jimbo? I see where he did not show up to a SECN production meeting and his agent was also in town. May be nothing but apparently it is very unusual for a coach not to meet with the network team before the weekend. Jimbo's job should not be in trouble, but is it?

16. Scott88

I'm not an insider, but that seems like a lot of noise about nothing.
    I suspect something came up, and he had to cancel.
    Nothing ominous.
    I'm can say with 99.99% certainty it's not about his job security.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Scott I saw somewhere that the USC collective was going to target some of those 5 star freshmen that you guys have, sort of like how they got Addison to bail on Pitt for the $$ and SoCal/Hollywood

18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

BYU and East Carolina deadlocked at 24 through three quarters.

19. Scott88

Well the kids who got indefinitely suspended will probably listen. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

East Carolina wins on field goal as game ends. (27-24)

• Like Like x 1