College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Iowa made things difficult for the Buckeyes in the first half. An excellent defense really caused us some problems. Adjustments at the half turned things around in the second half and we scored pretty much at our will. Jaxon our premier receiver re injured his leg. He was not ready to play and that may cost us down the road. We also lost our long snapper due to a knee injury. Iowa ended up with six turnovers. Stroud may have lost the Heisman award with his three interceptions. Time will tell. On to Penn State in Happy Valley Saturday.

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Not sure I've ever been troubled by the offense after scoring 50+, but it was by far not our best offensive effort. It was clear Day was not happy with the execution as well. Running game never found its footing and Iowa front generally made life difficult for our Oline and CJ never found a rhythm in the passing game. Jaxon played maybe 10-15 naps, had one catch and gingerly left the field after his last play. Not optimistic that he's going to be back to form anytime soon. That said, Iowa for all their offensive incompetence is a very solid, sound and physical defense and makes you earn every inch and has been so for ever it seems.....but that offense may well be the worst FBS offense I've seen in a long, long time. Just putrid...big test next week. Nits always play us tough at home, expect a battle esp if we struggle running the football.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

No real changes in the AP, I was a little suprised that Alabama didn't hop over Clemson after they blew out Mississippi State while Clemson had to come from behind to eek out a win over Syracuse.

TCU up to #7 and Oregon is creeping up with that big win over UCLA. 3 Pac12 teams in the top 10. Unfortuneately that likely means they'll beat each other up, and I think the same thing will happen in the B12. Won't be shocked if the final 4 is 2 SEC teams and 2 Big 10 teams if Clemson loses somewhere this season.

4. Terry O'Keefe

He has the Penn State and Michigan games that will be big National Games and if he shines in those the Iowa games 3 picks will be a distant memory for the voters.

Right now though I'd bet that Hendon Hooker is #1 in the voters eyes. But he also has some very big games left to play, including a showdown with Georgia in a couple of weeks. Next weeks game with Kentucky won't be a gimmie either. Of course there is Byrce Young. I don't think that there are any other contenders right now, but you never know.

5. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I was pulling for Syracuse in this one, they are oh so so close to having a complete team and will surprise folks through the season

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish get Syracuse next week and we're 2 point underdogs to them. That QB while not exactly Lamar Jackson, is dangerous when he runs the ball. While I can't say that I like the 'Cuse, I have to say I kinda like Dino. But next week I'd love to see him go down in a big way.

Right now Clemson has played all of the good ACC teams on their schedule, they only have Louisville and Miami left both who have struggled this season. They do come to ND, unfortuneately it would be a huge upset for the Irish, and they always finish with South Carolina who will be coming off a big game with Tenn. I like their chances to be undefeated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If Alabama wins all of their remaining games then in all likelihood they will be in the playoffs. If they dont ....they won't be. Our ranking this week doesn't mean much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

It wasn't CJ's best game for sure, but he still ended 20-30 for 286 and 4 TD. Clunky first half for sure, but I only got him for 1 pick not 3. He did have a fumble for a scoop and score for Iowa's only TD. That said, he did have some uncharacteristically sloppy throws that could/should have been picked esp in the first half. Hawkeyes are a solid unit on defense and cooked up a host of pressures and disguised coverages that we hadn't seen in their bye week preceding the game. Took Day/Wilson/Hartline/CJ et al a bit to figure things out. Second half different story 10-12 for 190 and 4 TDs. Perhaps the Hawkeye defense has given the B1G a blueprint to attack our offense. Hopefully Day and the offensive can get it solved and get the kids ready for a battle in Happy Valley. Always is....

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

A little late to this...but anytime your QB doesn't have his best receiver, faces new pressures and disguises by a very good defense, and still ends up 20-30 for 286 and 4 touchdowns I'm not gonna be all chagrined at his performance.

We'll just not talk about the Purdue game. Went down 21 points very early and missed a short FG...Played mostly ok the rest of the game but gave up too many big plays. Ended up losing by 11.

Ohio State and Michigan seem to always rush the field after a home win in The Game...but it isn't so obvious in Columbus because so many guys rush home to burn old couches in the street. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Stu Ryckman

All right...screw it...let's talk (briefly) about the Purdue game.
    This is quoted from Hammer and Rails blog;

The ideal ratio for praise to criticism ratio is 5 positives for each negative and I’m going to make an attempt.

Positives

1. Payne Durham played well.
    2. Jeff Brohm looked taller than Jim Leonhard.
    3. AOC threw 2 touchdowns (granted, one was to the wrong team).
    4. The safeties avoided all contact, ensuring that they remain healthy heading into the off week.
    5. The Charlie Jones catch (you know the one).
    Negative

1. Everything Else

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I feel ya Stu... :(

12. Terry O'Keefe

I don't associate couch burning with Ohio State, Michigan State and West Virginia for sure, but not the Buckeyes. I guess I haven't been paying attention. I seem to remember one incidence of couch burning in West Layfayette, but I'm not sure it was after a football game.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure the Society Of Furniture Arsonists (SOFA) we’re in E Landing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Bad news for Scotts Ags.

15. Stu Ryckman

Not one of our prouder moments;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-after-national-title-game-win-over-oregon/

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry,
    Rumor has it the boys involved had the audacity to smoke weed in the locker room.
    o_O

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

In the locker room????:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Stu Ryckman

No, if you read the article it was dumpsters AND couches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Got to spend that NIL money on something.