Hey gipper, stay dry!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 27, 2022.

1. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Drove to hard hit Arcadia Florida today. Thousands of utility trucks working their way south making repairs

• Like Like x 5
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Stu you said your place was trashed. Your place was above the tidal surge wasn't it? We're the windows blown out? Any structural damage to the building?

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

My unit seems ok after a very cursory check from a neighbor who rode out the storm. Some owners did apparently have windows blown out and who knows what their units are going to look like? Lower floor is trashed where all the electric, mechanicals, fire alarm electronics, backup generator, offices, etc. are located. Assuming the building is structurally sound (not a given), we have no power, no cable, no water, no water treatment (i.e. toilets), no elevator service, no community room, no elevator service, no ground floor doors or windows, no cameras, no security, no carports, no swimming pool or gazebo, no parking lot light poles. All walls in first floor blown out...hopefully the support pilings are all ok. It may be weeks or months before FPL can restore power to the island (all the transformers, etc were under water) and similar possible time frame for sewage service. We are not allowed on the property until structurally inspected to make sure it's safe. Property managers and Insurance Adjusters can't get on the island (only search and rescue crews) Nobody knows the condition of the roof or the a/c handlers on the roof (roof looks ok in pictures but I'm assuming a/c units are a bust). So our place is sitting in the heat with no a/c...we have no accesss...got a freezer full of spoiling food and who knows what else...worried about mold. Oh...and our car is totaled.

But that's nothing compared to what the poor residents of FMB are going through. They are very angry at not being allowed on the island to salvage what they can but it's like an unsafe war zone. There is talk that residents may be allowed limited access to their properties starting tomorrow. And death count on the island is up to 14. :(

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sounds terrible to me Stu, granted you were safe here but still a pile of work to do and decisions to be made. I think it is safe to say you and your wife will be wintering in Ohio this season?

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Stu
    Sorry I asked.

7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Gip...no problemo.

Don...should get just about enough insurance money from my car (was in good shape but 18 years old) to buy us a couple of nice winter coats.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1