College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Alabama returns to #1, no surprise. Big movers were Ole Miss into the top 10, Wake Forrest up to #15 and KState up to #20, lots of new teams as Brian Kelly's LSU are in the top 25 along with Syracuse, Cincinnati and Mississippi State.

Dropped from rankings: Baylor 16, Texas A&M 17, Oklahoma 18, Arkansas 20, Minnesota 21, Florida State 23, Pittsburgh 24

Neither Texas (surprisingly) or Notre Dame got a single vote

3. Terry O'Keefe

Karl Dorrell is out at Colorado. They certainly were one of the worst teams in the NCAA.

They have a lot things going for them, Colorado is a cool state, Boulder is one of the best college cities, UC has a beautiful campus. Colorado certainly doesn't have load of talent like you find in Texas or California, but they still should be able to be better

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Cryst is out at Wisconsin. I thought his position was a little precarious but thought his large buyout would probably result in his staying through the season. Surprised that the Badgers fired him today but the program was clearly in decline.

5. Terry O'Keefe

There was a time when guys were fired at the end of the season. Now if you are a little shaky to start, and things don't go well they cut you loose.

I am certain that it has everything to do with being able to work the channels for the new guy. And be able to say that the job is open. Also get them signed right after they end their season like LSU did with Kelly.

Chryst was really doing well, the Badgers were a solid program that played tough physical football on both sides of the ball. They clearly lost their way the question has to be what happened hard to imagine Chryst forgot how to coach.

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Re; Notre Dame . During the past off season all we heard about was how the Irish were winning most of the head to head recruiting battles with Michigan. This just goes to show you how real life contrasts with press hype.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I was really kind of happy to be out of the #1 slot. As long as we were still in the top 4 and undefeated I didn't worry about the playoffs and someone else got all of the attention of being #1. Hey Don, I think Ohio State should be #1, don't you? ;)

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Kyle. you didn't ask me, but with no dog in the fight, I'd opine that a case could be made for Ohio State #1 and Alabama #2 but certainly no lower. I think like you, but my wheelhouse these days is high school football because of my grandsons at two different schools in the Indy area. Everyone plays in the HS tournament, and the cream tends to rise to the top. In college, although it's only a 4-team playoff, it really doesn't matter who's 1 or 2 as long as they're among the four.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Not really kp, too much attention, top 4 suits me fine, like a comfortable pair of shoes!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

T,

The Baders DC, Jim Leonhart, is young and had attracted interest from others including being offered the position of DC of the Packers. He has been viewed by Badgers fans as the “coach-in-waiting” and perhaps the AD thought present circumstances made it a viable time to make him the interim coach and audition for the permanent job while keeping an eye on other potential candidates.

Interestingly, Cryst had a better winning percentage than Alverez who is a living deity in Madison. Barry had some stinker seasons but taking the Badgers to the Rose Bowl in 93 provided him the luxury of being allowed rebuilding seasons. In today’s NFL lite environment of college football, that luxury will be a shorter supply.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

And Schiano was upset with the fake punt. It wasn't called by coaches. OSU punter is Australian and apparently doesn't understand some of the nuances of football as in; don't fake punt when you're that far ahead. He punts with a Rugby style rollout and saw the opening and did as he was trained to do...probably had a little talk after the game.

I thought Stroud tried to do too much. Didn't really let it "come to him." Didn't see a wide open Stover for what coulda been a TD and threw the ball to the corner for an incompletion. Then of course there was that God-awful interception where he forced it into quadruple coverage. He still says MAYBE he should have checked down but he read the coverage correctly and still thinks he could have/should have completed the pass. :rolleyes: Having said all that he laid some beautiful balls right on the money as well.

I was at the game. Too old to do all that walking. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder if Chryst has booked an Air B&B in Tuscaloosa for the duration of his Saban rehab stint! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Most talked about play of last weekend.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Legit call IMO.

15. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I don't like the slide, it leaves your defense in limbo any time a QB runs, but the kid was obviously going down so no reason for the hit.

16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Still catching up, but I think Chryst's seat got very hot and is now occupied by someone else. :)

17. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Yeah that was very irritating. We are in Kansas City and I was going to use Dish anywhere to watch the game. Didn't get to see it but followed on CBS game tracker and Gator Country thread. Problem with the threads is the amount of whining that goes on.

Anyway it is back and I have used Dish anywhere to record the game this week. Actually Gladstone Mo which is a suburb of KC. Needless to say there will be mixed fans in the house this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

19. Terry O'Keefe

Some really good games this weekend now that we are into October.

1. Alabama vs Texas A&M This game is a bit different than it was before the season started. A&M was a top 5 team and so was Alabama. Jimbo v Saban war of words. Now neither coach will talk about who is going to start at QB. Bottom line is that if Jalen Hurts clone starts or Bryce Young starts the Tide should win handily, they have the best defensse A&M has faced and so far the Aggies haven't been able to do much on offense. That will be their undoing in Tuscaloosa. It will be interesting to see if Milroe starts what they do on offense scheme wise. He's a strong runner.

2. Georgia vs Auburn This should be over by the end of the 1st qtr.

3. Ohio State @ Michigan State Sparty was a hot team last year when they played and got beat 49-0 I think. They aren't hot or good, Buckeyes with the return of Treyvon Henderson will hang 50+ on them

4. Michigan @ IU another road game for the Wolverines, but IU doesn't have that defense that Iowa has and that should be the key factor here, big win for Bobda's boys.

5. Clemson @ Boston College Clemson is an improving team, their offense looks good and people say they have the best DL in the country. No matter, BC is pretty average on both sides of the ball and shouldn't be much of a problem.

6. U$C vs Wazzu Washington State is a a solid team and might give these guys a game. It will be interesting to see if Wazzu can stop the USC offense like Oregon State did. USC no doubt the solid favorite though at home.

7. Oklahoma State vs Texas Tech Tech's high point is likely that home win vs Texas. On the road to Stillwater against a very good OSU team. I don't see them getting another big upset.

8. Tennessee @ LSU Brian Kelly's first big SEC game, so far he's 2-0 in the SEC. But the Vols are his biggest test and LSU is an underdog at home vs the Vols who are having a great season so far. Hooker has been terrific leading the Vol offense. Meanwhile in Baton Rouge the LSU QB had a players only meeting with his WR's. Never heard of that, but they had to come from behind last week vs a woeful Auburn team. I won't be shocked if the Vols take them to the woodshed.

9. Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt. Kiffin has to guard against a let down vs an inferior foe, and I imagine he will and the Rebs will get a road win.

10. Penn State has the week off to get ready for Michigan.

Other good games.

Neb @ RU can they win 2 in a row?

TCU @ KU this is a really big game in the Big 12, both teams are ranked and both teams are playing above expectations. TCU just pummeling OU last week and KU just staying undefeated!

Texas vs OU at the Cotton Bowl. Been a long time since both teams are unranked. Longhorns got a solid win over WVA last week. Hudson Card had an excellent game last week taking the pressure off of Sark to force Ewers into the lineup. OU on the other hand didn't get a good game out of their qB's and Dillon Gabriel was injured and no word on whether he'll play or not. But the real problem for OU is that their Defense stinks.

Purdue @ Maryland The Boilermakers coulda woulda shoulda be undefeated right now. Should have beaten Penn State and gave the Syracuse game away with some poor control of emotions from a player and the Head Coach. Thrashed Minnesota. Maryland has been solid as well, played Michigan tough. Should be a good game.

Utah @ UCLA Should be the best game out west this week Both team are playing well right now and both teams have experienced QB's returning who are having good seasons. Difffernce might be that the Utes under Whittington have traditionally been a good defense. I don't think of Chip Kelly teams as being great defensively, might be a bit of an unfair assessment. We'll see.

KState vs Iowa State KState having that great season, and Iowa State with 2 losses in a row after starting 3-0 probably will be 0 for Kansas after this weekend.

FSU @ NCState Both teams lost last weekend. FSU offense couldn't get going against a Wake Forrest defense that isn't really very good and NCState couldn't handle the Clemson defense. Both need a nice bounce back win, I'm thinking NCState is that team.

Iowa @ Illinois Big game in the BTW. Will the Iowa offense continue to actually score points? Can Illionois step forward in it's new role as Favorite in the BTW?

Oh yeah and there is a game tonight. SMU at UCF.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

1. Hopefully Milroe gets.the whole playbook. Everyone deals.with injuries and Alabama has to be prepared to continue the season with or without any player.
    2. Agreed. Auburn is pretty bad but they are.Auburn so hopefully lightning doesn't strike and wipe out.the dawgs.
    5. Is.Michigan the real deal? This week will help to answer that question.
    8. Same question for.Tennessee. Are they the real deal?
    I will be interested in the Texas/Oklahoma game. One of the great rivalries.