GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Oh yes Sergio was one of the first to move.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Following his missing the cut at The Open, Henrik Stenson has decided to join LIV. While that normally wouldn't be that big a surprise (a number of past their prime golfers have joined LIV) he was supposed to be the European Ryder Cup captain. He'll be replaced.
    On a personal note, I hope to be able to golf again. Tomorrow I undergo surgery for a compressed spinal cord. I've needed a walker just to get around for the past couple of months. Hope my surgeon is on his game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

gip - best wishes to a speedy recover and return to (or introduction of?) handicap-free golf shortly!

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Good luck to you Gipper!

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Good luck Mike, hope all goes well.

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The good news was it's structural and not a devastating disease.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Mike, I hope the surgery goes as well as hoped and that you're back on your feet and playing before the snow falls. Wait! You're in Florida. Never mind. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Please keep us posted Mike. I too hope the surgery is successful but do not try to rush the recovery process. Patience rules.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Terry O'Keefe

I've been thinking about gipper and hope his surgery went well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Well it's good to be home. The surgery went well. They fused C-4 and 5 after cleaning out the mess. I'm told everything went as expected and feel surprisingly comfortable. (probably the Percoset) I'm noticing some improvement in my walking but I still have a long way to go.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Glad it went well, Gip. Didn’t see your post until just now. I came here to lament the latest coup by LIV. David Feherty. Ouch!

12. Terry O'Keefe

Put me down as not a good Mountain Golfer. I played a course in Park City where the views from the tee boxes were spectacular but you pretty much hit the fairway or it's a lost ball. I lost 10 golf balls. The next day we played a course in the valley and it was back to normal. I've never putted on Kentucky Blue but these courses had it and it was awesome. The fairways were lush. And best of all was the low humidity and temps compared to Houston.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I played The Judge on the Capital Hill Golf course (one of the courses on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail) in Montgomery last Monday. It was so hot that I was.not able to finish. I had to quit after 17. The heat and humidity this summer is killer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It was bad enough when Sir Nick rode off in the sunset but now Feherty opts for the 3 day work week???

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I remember playing one of the Broadmoor Courses in Colorado...so many elevation changes and weird distances that they put a stake out in the middle of the fairway for your "target" and the scorecard gave you the yardage to the stake. One hole was downwind, downhill so I held back and just hit a 7 Iron. Went way past the stake...I think I figured I hit it 220 or something. Probably couldn't do it today with my driver.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Mother Watson didn't raise no fools ! The Saudis and their shill, Greg Norman were able to entice tour has-been Bubba Watson to the LIV tour for an estimated $70 M signing bonus. In contrast, on the PGA tour this year Watson earned $656 K. In other news the Saudis announced they will expand their tour in 2023 to 10 events with a total prize fund of around $400 M available. The Saudis have committed $2 B to the Tour. President Trump, bent on revenge against the PGA for their political slight against him and willing to enlist the Saudis to make his point is hosting events at his properties including this weekend in New Jersey.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

I always liked watching Bubba play, with that long wild swing that resulted in big curves one way or the other and a lot of distance. He wasn't good with his short game consistently. I remember more than once when he was younger him hitting the ball a mile past his playing partner and then having a wedge to the green. But he wasn't a good putter so he ended up with par just like the guys who hit it shorter off the tee.

But as George pointed out, he'd be a fool to turn down 70M when he rarely is in the top 25 money group anymore. Sets him up for life unless he does something stupid.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I don't blame Trump for his dislike for the PGA. They moved the tournament they annually had at Doral to Mexico. This was an insult to not only the President but the millions of Americans who voted for him. They're just another woke organization.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Didn’t see the note about Mike’s surgery till now. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery, Mike!

• Like Like x 2
  20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Thought I'd post an update. It's still hard to get my head around going from being able to golf and swim half a mile for exercise to being unable to walk unassisted in a matter of weeks. I lost a great deal of strength in my hands and my fine motor skills were severely impaired. My handwriting was almost illegible and I would use eating utensils like a 3 yr. old.
    I'm still getting around with a walker but I can now get by with a cane if I can touch something with the other hand for balance. My fine motor skills are returning and I don't have to hit the back space key nearly as much when I type. I was able to shave almost normally this am which is a big improvement and I have much more strength getting up from a seated position.
    Believe it or not we're flying to Rome on Wed. and we're doing back to back cruises in the eastern Med. My surgeon cleared me to go (I think Mary sent him a death threat about nixing the trip;)) and I'm hoping to be able to get from our cabin to the Martini Bar every late afternoon. Traveling with nearly 4 weeks of luggage will be a challenge but what the hell, if I can shave, we can do it. I should be back a week before CFB kickoff. Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the concern.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3