College Football Spring / Summer

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Irish pick up another 4* Verbal commit WR from TEXAS Jaden Greathouse!

2. Tim Gentry

Greathouse is a big receiver too. 6’2” 220lbs.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We need a big infusion of WR talent, and while our WR group pales when compared to the talent that Ohio State is bringing in, it's one our best classes at WR in quite a while.

4. Tim Gentry

don't know if it "pales" in comparison as we have 3 WRs in this current 2023 class that are top 100 players.

couple more classes like this and the 2024 class and well be in good shape

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Just passing through as we gear up for the season and came across TOK and Tim's comments and felt moved to weigh in on one of my precious things in this vast universe, Buckeye WR coach Brian Hartline. I post this not to diminish Irish recruiting - they are having a great year - nor Tim's comments about ND's fine 2023 WR class, but rather to highlight just how ridiculously good Hartline is at his craft.

Below is a table with all OSU and ND WR recruits since Hartline has been on the job listed in order of national player ranking. The WR generally considered the best in the country is only the 5th highest rated recruit in his own room. Can there be a better position coach on the planet? My guess is that between Ryan Day's offense and Hartline's receiver room, we shouldn't have tough time with QB recruiting anytime soon. Thank God he's a Buckeye to his core and money in his pocket from a successful NFL career....

Apologies in advance for the crooked lines.

Player School Class Natl Pos
    Julian Fleming OSU 2020 3 1
    Emeka Egbuka OSU 2021 10 1
    Brandon Inniss OSU 2023 18 2
    Carnell Tate OSU 2023 28 3
    Garrett Wilson OSU 2019 20 2
    Jaxson Smith-Njigba OSU 2020 29 5
    Jordan Johnson ND 2020 37 2
    Noah Rogers OSU 2023 51 9
    Gee Scott Jr OSU 2020 66 10
    Kaleb Brown OSU 2022 79 13
    Jameson Williams OSU 2019 82 13
    Kyion Graves OSU 2022 88 14
    Mookie Cooper OSU 2020 93 16
    Marvin Harrison OSU 2021 97 14
    Jayden Ballard OSU 2021 99 15
    Deion Colzie ND 2021 102 16
    Jaden Greathouse ND 2023 113 17
    Lorenzo Styles ND 2021 115 20
    Braylon James ND 2023 117 19
    Tobias Merriweather ND 2022 121 18
    Caleb Burton OSU 2022 132 22
    Kojo Antwi OSU 2022 151 26
    Rico Flores ND 2023 187 27
    Bryson Rodgers OSU 2023 268 32
    Jayden Thomas ND 2021 308 51
    Xavier Watts ND 2020 389 65
    Cam Hart ND 2019 644 81
    Ben Skowronek ND xfr 2020 772 118
    Jay Brunelle ND 2020 780 122

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  6. Tim Gentry

Impressive list for Buckeye fans but...... I've waited and kept the faith this long....just a little while longer and we might just surprise some. Chansi Stuckey thus far seems to be the guy we need.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BuckeyeT

Coach Freeman has done a great job with this class, I've been a big fan of his for some time. Top notch guy. Hartline is on another planet along with guy from Bama. Between the two they have sucked up an extraordinary share of blue chip wideouts in the last several classes

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Good to see you posting Terry. Care to join the contest this season?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Hartline is the gold standard for a WR coach and recruiter. Question is how long will it be till he is a OCoord? Will that be at Ohio State?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry, he has had several offers for other jobs, no particulars, but thus far he has refused to leave, Ryan Day may have a significant impact with that decision?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt he loves his situation at Ohio State and I would be surprised if wasn't one of the highest paid position coaches in college football.

He would be an unusual coach who doesn't eventually want to move up to a Coordinator position leading to a HC offer. Especially given his success.

You guys are lucky to have him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BuckeyeT

I hear ya TOK and he is often asked most recent via Twitter exchange below...

upload_2022-7-17_7-36-14.png

Day just gave him the added title of "Passing Game Coordinator" and a few xtra nickels but as long as Day is in C'bus there is only one real O-Coord and passing game guru. I'm in the camp that it is likely inevitable that he leaves, but I do think it would have to be an extraordinary opportunity. He's a Buckeye to his core, born and raised, alum, etc loves his alma mater. He's currently making $950K and had an excellent NFL career where he made over $18 mill plus what ever promo $ he realized so money isn't going to be the same inducement as it would be to many young talented position coaches so he's not going to hop on the first available. My guess is we might be able to keep him around longer than many think.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I hate the idea of conferences going beyond 16 members. Probably going to happen but it doesn't excite me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Reading all these comments make me long for the Gators to become relavent again. I believe we have the right coach but its going to take time.

15. Terry O'Keefe

What separates Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson is sheer level of talent, superior coaching staffs who not only prepare their teams for winning but they also are committed to recruiting at a high level.

Clemson has had some turnover in the last couple of years, losing key coaches on both sides of the ball. Venables was a key component to the defense, has he been replaced? Saban annually loses key asssistants but he has always seemed to find guys who step right in, will Kirby Smart do the same in replacing Dan Lanning? Ryan Day seems to have strengthened his defensive staff with the new guy from Oklahoma State. His offensive staff is strong and stable.

The next level with Notre Dame and probably 10 other teams, do not have the rosters to match the top group and are headed by good coaches, some who haven't shown yet that they can lift their squad up to the top level.

Certainly they have made the playoffs but haven't really threatened to win when they have made the playoffs.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Recruiting at a high level is a must but player development is just as important. The 3 star that becomes an All-American is either superior recruit evaluation or superior development or a combination of both. The four and five star guys are obvious, the 3stars are the real indicators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

After 12yrs it was evident that Kelly was never going to get ND to the "next" level. According to him, he had done the best he could do and indicated that was the best anyone could expect from ND recruiting. He wasn't alone in his thoughts as much of the NCAA football outside of South Bend agreed. Kelly was not a good recruiter. He just didn't put in the effort and time required to be a good recruiter.

But.......Marcus Freeman has already shown that by using some of what others would call negatives to recruiting young men to play at ND, he could turn those negatives to positive reasons why young men would want to come to ND.

It is a smaller pool of talent for ND to get the players they need to get to that next level but it can be done. Now..... can he coach as good as he can recruit? We will have to see. From what I've seen so far of this young man(Freeman), I wouldn't be against him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

It's clear that he can recruit and he will maximize the effort and demand his assistant coaches also have to recruit. That is something that Kelly didn't require of his coaches. Heck he even has Hiestand out there working his ass off.

If he can coach and produces a 9 or 10 win season then recruiting should remain strong. Can he both coach, develop and recruit like Saban or Day or Dabo or Smart we don't know, but if he can then we have a chance to be in the group who has a real shot at the title.

But right now all we know is he is a hard worker who is trying to do the right thing. We'll know by Dec 1st what we have

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That gets an AMEN from me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

SEC Meida Days are on deck!

Also I see a number of articles where Calif Gov Gavin Newsome isn't happy with the way UCLA went about leaving for the Big 10 and is considering ways to block their move.