Baseball 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Good news for the Astros in their 2-0 loss yesterday to the Angels. Verlander threw 5 innings and looked pretty good doing it. He gave up a gopher ball in the 2nd, which he is prone to doing in the early innings other than that he was strong, 7K's in that 5 innings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

They also have signed Emmanuel Clase and Myles Straw (formerly an Astro) to long term extensions.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Judge apparently turned down 30 million a year for 7 years. That's just silly money, is he really worth more?

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Like seeing Pujols back in St. Louis. Hope he gets the HR he needs to crack the 700 level.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Add outfielder Steven Souza to the growing list of players who say the Astros weren’t the only team cheating in 2017. Souza would be in a position to know what was going on around the league, since he has played for five different big league clubs in his seven seasons in the majors. He’s currently in Class AAA for the Seattle Mariners, which would be his sixth different club if he gets promoted.

Ex Dodger says more than half the league was cheating like Astros

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The Cincinnati Reds COO ( the son of the team’s primary owner) was questioned about fan unhappiness over the Reds failure to keep star players and what the team could do to retain the trust of fans. I don’t think his response is going to cause Reds fans to rush to the ballpark this season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

No, he's not. He's a very good player who's prone to injury; he been on the DL 4 out of 5 seasons. He turns 30 soon. He really rolled the dice here; the only way he makes out better is if he has an injury free year and hits .280+ with 30+ HRs and 100 RBIs. Anything less and he'll take a haircut from the offer he just turned down. He got booed last night. Fans are not sympathetic to whining millionaires during these trying times.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  8. George Krebs

That is a cold, callous statement that is steeped in truth. Reds fans are like loyal dogs; I know, I was one for decades and still follow them from afar. The Bengals will never be #1 as long as the Reds are in town. But this guy is correct and his message is clear. Small market teams cannot compete against the big boys in the salary market.

Speaking of fans, The Yankees have played five games, all at home. There are tons of empty seats. The only congregation of fans that I can detect is in in RF bleachers. Field level box seats, even behind HP, are 80% empty.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Bobda,
    Very disappointed in crowd shots from Milwaukee today. Seems that the majority of Brewer faithful prefer Bud light or Coors Light. (Sigh)....when in Rome....

BTW...Albert 681 today!

10. Terry O'Keefe

Impressive outing by Verlander, 8 innings of 3 hit shut out ball. I thought it was a waste of money when the Astros resigned him. Could I have been wrong? :rolleyes:

11. Terry O'Keefe

Stay classy Yankee fans!

12. George Krebs

Yankee fans at their worst. Bellies full of $9.00 per cup warm Bud they show their ass on the national stage. That nonsense usually happens in RF where the aptly named Bleacher Creatures call home. For sheer depravity on a continual basis I don't think you can top the New York Jet fans. They are stone cold animals. Anything goes in that stadium. My son has worked OT there with NJSP. They have about 150 troopers work every game. They ring the entire field facing the crowd and are prominent in the lots. Also two helicopters. Always in excess of 100 arrests at every game with at least 30 locked up. Side note: My son tells me the worst venue to work every year as far as rowdiness is the Kenny Chesney concerts at Met Life stadium. He says it's one big bar fight beginning four hours before the show until two hours after. Arrests normally exceed 300-500. Charges are sexual assault, battery, destruction of property, various drug charges, DUI, etc etc. The worst baseball fans anywhere, hands down, are the Phillies fans. If you go in to that park wearing another team's colors the best you can hope for is 9 innings of verbal harassment. Or a beer bath or a physical assault. And kids are fair game too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

The baseball is under fire again this season. Players are complaining that they are inconsistent and difficult to grip resulting in more batters being hit. Players want to let the pitchers have some substance that allows them to grip the ball.

Both Bassitt and McCann said there is a need for a universal substance to help pitchers grip the ball.

"Sit down with players and see what players want," McCann said. "Don’t take opinions of people that aren’t the ones on the mound trying to throw it. Don’t talk to somebody who’s not trying to stay in the box when a guy’s throwing 100 miles an hour and doesn’t have a feel for the ball. That’s the answer is talk to the players and see what the best result is."

McCann suggested an on-deck circle behind the mound with certain essentials: pine-tar rag, sunscreen and rosin.

"You want to talk about Spider Tack and all this other stuff, yeah, get that out of the game, I agree with that, McCann said. "But give them an on-deck circle just like the hitter’s have. Let them have a grip on the baseball."

Mets angry after more players, including Pete Alonso, hit by pitches

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

What a bunch of bull. This is like something you'd see in The Onion. If you (rhetorical) believe MLB pitchers have trouble controlling the baseball, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. :rolleyes:

15. Terry O'Keefe

Thing I wonder is if pine tar and rosin are available that makes sense but what does sun screen do for gripping the ball?

16. Terry O'Keefe

Fun stuff, that dad is true multi Tasker

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I was watching the game on TV when that happened. Pretty cool. He had to reach out away from the baby to catch it, so the baby was never in danger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Dusty Baker gets win #2,000 and Justin Verlander gets another impressive win in his recovery tour from Tommy John surgery.

When the Astro's hired Dusty I wasn't thrilled, and I thought it was a big mistake to sign Justin to a contract at his age coming off Tommy John surgery.

Boy I really don't know what I'm talking about do I!! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's a Sid statement. :D

20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Turn them wheels baby!

• Like Like x 1