Notre Dame Spring/Summer

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 12, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the spring game yesterday? I did not but have read a few accounts. I guess Pyne really stunk up the joint. Two picks and almost two more with a third reversed by a penalty. Many are saying that F Steve Angelli looked better. Others are predicting Pyne in the Portal before the next full moon. I guess the defense looked very good and there is a lot of chatter about F Jadarian Price, a running back.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Probably read the same postings you did George. Off his performance, just what school is chomping at the bit to get Pyne? We apparently have a duel threat QB who is injury prone and a backup who's about to back out. Not a stellar cast for Goodbye Columbus.

3. George Krebs

Its hard to tell much from these games but a mobile QB and veteran, talented O Line should really open up the running game. The passing game is the big question. I heard Colzie described as "out of shape" and unable to get any separation. Mayer is great and Baumann is not far behind; we may see a lot of two TE formations to try to get medium range mismatches. We don't even know if Buchner can throw deep effectively. Not to mention an entirely new kicking tandem. The defense should be very good. We can beat the Buckeyes if we can run the ball. But we will have to play turnover free.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've read the same things about Pyne. I hope it was an aberration and that he does stay. But in today's world it's hard enough to keep your #2 QB around much less a guy who drops from #2 to #3 behind a true freshman. All across the country every team is going to have players who didn't secure a starting spot in the Spring hit the trail to some greener pasture.

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

That's an understatement. I had been hearing how well Angeli looked in the spring practices and his performance shows he's got the stuff. Pyne doesn't.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

A lot of angst-inspired speculation over a meaningless game. I've been wrong many more times than I've been right, but I'll be surprised if, a) Pyne leaves, and b) he's not the #2 QB to open the season. Some things certainly could happen to change that, but it's how I feel going into summer workouts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Basketball picked up a Grad Transfer from Niagara, Marcus Hammond, who can play the PG, now that Hubb is gone.

Irish Women also picked up a PG, Jenna Brown, she is from Stanford and was a McDonald's AA. Injuries have hampered her career. Hopefully of course she will be healthy and provide solid backup minutes for Olivia Miles.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

9. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I had no idea that the club programs played a National Tournament.

I knew all of the club programs played in leagues/schedules mostly made up of other club teams in the geographic area. Just didn't think the economics would allow them to travel to national tournaments.

Congrats!

10. Tim Gentry

Looks like Al Washington is a damn good recruiter:
    Notre Dame recruiting is hot and staying hot on Wednesday as 2023 Catholic Memorial (Mass.) defensive lineman Boubacar Traore‍ has committed to the Fighting Irish following his visit.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt that the new sheriff in town has been a breath of fresh air with regards to recruiting.

I believe that Don said that we were getting a great DL coach in Washington. New Dcoord at Ohio State reorganized the staff and there wasn't a spot for him.

So far I like what I see.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Tim Gentry

Personally, I feel like we are now seeing what can happen with recruiting when you get the coach and staff that really know how to sell ND to recruits.
    Kelly got ND as far a HE could or would. The idea though that that was the best anyone could do with ND with all its so-called obstacles/limits/restrictions that most other power 5 schools don’t have never set with me. Yes, ND has a smaller pool of athletes to pull from based on their commitment to education etc but within that pool of athletes are more than enough young men to keep ND in the NC championship yearly if they consistently remain the dominant school in recruiting from that pool which is what is happening now.
    I have no idea if Marcus Freeman will be a good head coach or not but if he isn’t it won’t be for lack of talent. A few yrs ago I almost let myself believe that ND would never be able to attract the type defensive players that we are now seeing commit over the last two classes and more are coming.
    If Marcus Freeman had not been named HC a couple of months ago where would ND be right now? I don’t want to think about it so I won’t.
    ND doesn’t need a conference in football and ND will do just fine in recruiting as long as you have the right people to do the recruiting starting with the HC.
    Recruiting is great right now and it’s going to be even better.
    Go Irish!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

It became obvious that Kelly had settled in to being in the top 15 in recruiting and selling that it was the best we could do, it got better after that disastrous 2016 season when he had to revamp the staff or resign. But from everything I've read it was still that he personally didn't make the same effort as guys like Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeny, etc did in leading the recruiting effort and he wasn't as demanding of the staff that they get out there and recruit.

As Tim said none of us have a clue how Freeman will be as a HC. If he can avoid a 1st year disaster of say 7-5 8-4 record and put up a 10 win season he'll be off to a great start and recruiting should only get better and better.

ND fans like most fanbases aren't really very forgiving and not many these days subscribe to the give him 3 years or even 5 years. Sark at Texas after his blowout at Arkansas and the overall poor record for the season is on the clock with the fans. Same will be true for Freeman.

If he plays a good competitive game in Columbus to start the year but loses I don't think the fans will be up in arms, if he gets blown out that's a different story.

For now it's great to see the higher rated recruits giving us their verbal and while I don't expect us to be #1 in recruiting after Nat'l Signing Day in December, Solid top 10 maybe even top 5 would be a huge win going forward.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Looks like the NIL money is kicking in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've often said that I don't follow recruiting closely, which is true. However, I saw the following on Twitter and couldn't help noticing a couple of things: Only, ND, TN, and USC have a 5* commitment. Also, we're the only team at this point with double-digit 4-stars. No one else is close. Like everyone else here, I know this will change, and other teams will move past us, but it certainly is a great start compared to past cycles.
    upload_2022-4-28_12-29-4.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt Sid, I predict Texas Tech will not even be in the top 20 in December much less #2, and Saban hasn't gotten lazy or forgot how to recruit he will absolutely end up with a top 5 class.

Those 5*'s typically take a little more time and so do the highly rated 4 *'s

That top 10 will look a lot different in Dec.

17. George Krebs

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

i'm reading speculation that USC NIL interests approached hm with big NIL money if he would enter the portal and come to USC.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I can foresee a lot of older coaches retiring because of all of this. Saban's "process" is built on players buying into their roles. I think those days may be over.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Nice photo, some were trying to read into it that it meant the Irish were in play for Arch Manning, but instead the Mannings were there to film a segment for Eli's show.

• Like Like x 1