Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish women get a nice bounce back road win at Pitt.

They were in a scrap for most of the game, but pulled away in the 4th qtr for a solid win.

Maya Dodson had a great game around the basket, they kept finding her down low and she responded.

Last year's freshman star, Maddy Westbeld has been going through a tough time recently, but she showed some signs of coming out of it.

Oliva Miles and Sonia Citron this years super freshman both had solid games.

They were a little careless with the ball at times, Sonia had a stretch of multiple turnovers. But the future is very bright for both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Irish men got by NCState last night at home. It was an exciting game, tied at the half then the Irish defense clamped down on NCState and Nate Laszewski had probably his best game of the season including a personal 8-0 run that got the Irish the seperation they never lost. Blake Wesley struggled shooting but still ended up with 15 points, although it took a lot of shots to get those 15 points.

Paul Atkins our Yale transfer was pretty much neutralized by the NCState defense inside, they are big and long inside.

Dane Goodwin continues his very good Sr. season.

Next up is UVA at home on Saturday. We've got a season determining stretch with UVA, Duke, and Miami coming up. Miami is the current ACC leader, and Duke is Duke.

The Women welcome Syracuse to Purcell Pavillion, the Orange are at the bottom of the ACC so hopefully the team will come out and play well and put them away early and clear the bench.

Irish Hockey gets top 10 Minnesota this weekend, it would be nice to get a split. I can't see a sweep unless the Gophers are short handed due to Covid.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women got the win last night in spite of sloppy ball handling against a feisty Syracuse squad. Even Olivia Miles had to be benched for a little while after back to back turnovers. I think we had more than 20 turnovers. Syracuse was smaller than us but they were a very fast team and they beat us off the dribble quite a bit, I have noticed this as a problem. We are a good team but we lack overall team speed and athleticism. In the end our depth wore them down and like the game in Syracuse they ran out of gas and we scorched them in the 4th qtr for a 21 point win that wasn't indicative of how competitive the game was for 3 quarters.

Maddy Westbeld still not playing like she is capable of, she was only 4-11 shooting a lot of them off the front of the rim.

Next up is a must win pay back game vs BC on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I watched the game and agree 100% with your assessment, especially the turnovers (23 per the announcers). We have high-level talent, and we are young. Hopefully, eventual maturity will correct the turnover problem. In the meantime, even the young players are good shooters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Sid have you ever seen Olivia Miles smile? She's got quite the game face!

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

No, but I haven't watched them as often as you have. I agree re: her game face. She means business. By the way, did you watch the post game discussion? Muffet McGraw was one of the four. While I don't follow women's basketball generally, I thought it was an interesting conversation.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I did watch the post-game round table; those ladies are a good group and I like their fair and balanced analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey was thrashed by Minnesota last night 5-1. Hopefully tonight they can come out and get a split.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's Basketball gets a tight win over UVA at home. 69 - 65 I didn't watch it as I was glued to the Golf Tournament.

But from what I've read we did our best to make it closer than it should have been at the end.

But it's a win and they have been few and far between against Tony Bennett coached UVA teams. 1-11 going into the game.

Huge game Monday night with Duke coming in for Coach K's last game at Purcell Pavillion! It's a tall order but it would be nice to send him out with a loss. I'm pretty sure Mike Brey is the only former assistant to beat him.

11. Terry O'Keefe

This weekend was a big Jr day recruiting weekend for Marcus Freeman.

As always the reports are always positive.

One thing that I did read is that former Ohio State All American LB and NFL player James Laurinaitis was on campus and getting comfortable. He will be an analyst and he and Freeman are close from their days at Ohio State.

Should be a very good addition to the staff.

12. Terry O'Keefe

More good news, Irish Hockey got the split by beating the Gophers 3-2 in OT.

That's about as good as we could hope for against a very good Minnesota Squad.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Harbaugh to NFL Minnesota?

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah Vikings not University of

15. Terry O'Keefe

I'm just not buying the Harbaugh to the NFL stuff. Harbaugh to the Bears, Harbaugh to the Raiders and now Harbaugh to the Vikings. It never hurts to be seen as sought after. I'm sure he'll be at Michigan for the foreseeable future and that this is all about he and his agent build him (back) up. I expect he'll sign that new contract with UM and it'll be a big one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Big win for the Irish women. After a tight and sloppy 1st qtr that ended in a tie, the Irish got the lead early in the 2nd period and never looked back. Won by 21 points with Olivia Miles putting up 30, her most in her short career.

I'm still concerned by the play of Maddy Westbeld, she is a shadow of the player she was last year. Some have said that the emergence of Maya Dodson has stunted her game, maybe so but she's still not hitting the open shots that she gets.

Tuesday night they get top 5 ranked NCSTATE at home, they are very good and have one of top post players in the country, will be a big challenge to beat them even at home.

17. Terry O'Keefe

This game with Duke is like men vs boys. I can't remember a game where we only scored 14 points in the 1st half.

Even the few shots we've had at the rim with layups are not going down.

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

One word. Ugh! This was the basketball version of the 2012 Natl. Championship football game.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Burn the tape!:( 57 - 43

We lead at 2-0, and then the bottom fell out. Our leading scorer, Dane Goodwin, didn't score. Our "future NBA freshman" Blake Wesley, was 3-15.

Yale transfer Paul Atkins, was the only player that had even a little success had 14 points on 7-15 shooting.

The NBA super scout said Duke had at least 4 or 5 NBA players, several that will be lottery picks.

Men against boys.

They need to put this behind them and get ready to go to Miami for a game with the Hurricanes who are a really good team.

20. Terry O'Keefe

New RB coach, DeLand McCullough, was at IU for 4 or 5 years then at USC, next with the Kansas City Chiefs and he was at IU last year. Strong recruiter

McCullough “has carved an remarkable reputation as a strong leader, developer of talent and recruiter.”

Lost the TE coach, McNulty, to BC as their OCoord. He did a good job while he was here, hopefully the next guy will be as good.

Rees now has a completely new Offensive Staff.