Coaching carousel now picks up speed...

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I saw a story that said OU may be ready to announce their HC on Sunday.

Luke Fickell? No way would he take the job on a day his team makes the CFP.

Dave Aranda? I have a hard time he goes from a big emotional win and the BIG 12 Championship to dumping his team.
    Georgia DCoord, Dan Lanning? Maybe Kirby Smart took the UGA job when Alabama was headed to the playoffs.

Brent Venables? Former Sooner DCoord, Clemson headed for some non NY6 bowl. So no problem, he could leave immediately and start building his staff and trying to save the OU class.

We'll have to wait and see!

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Venables makes the most sense, but another guy I'm not worried about.
    Could be wrong, but he does not inspire worry.

Anyone think there's a chance Nick calls it quits if the Tide win another one?
    Wouldn't that cause a shockwave?
    :D

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, that day is coming as much as I hate the thought of it. I still don't think that Alabama can win it all, but yesterday's game was.pretty complete. Saban is healthy, smiling a lot lately and has his contract set up so he doesn't even have to really negotiate for raises. Money is not motivating him so winning one more NC may be all it takes. He's 70 years old. I wouldn't blame him if he walked away next.month

5. Terry O'Keefe

I don't get it, Mario Cristobal is being reported everywhere as in talks with Miami. Yet Miami still has a HC. If he decides to stay in Oregon, how do you feel if you are Manny Diaz?

Oregon has also made him a lucrative offer.

Cristobal's mom lives in Miami but is battling health issues. He is also an Alum and from the area. They say Miami is going to be making a big investment in the program and want him to be the Coach.

6. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

and the craziness continues

7. Scott88

On the surface you'd think there's no way Miami ( as the program sits now) can compete with Oregon and Phil Knight's money. But there are a LOT of loons in Oregon, and if you're not a west coast guy it might not feel all that hospitable. Add in the personal factors Terry mentioned and it becomes very reasonable for Cristobal to head home.
    I have to believe Diaz has already been told he won't be retained past the bowl...

8. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like Miami finally put Manny Diaz out of his misery, a mercy killing no doubt. Gee I wonder if Mario Cristobal was on the other line when they did it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Cristobal to Miami. Surprise, Surprise!

10. Terry O'Keefe

I keep reading that Miami has a bunch of money they are going to invest in the football program. It's profits from it's hospital system. Something like 400M dollars. But I do find it odd that those profits go into the football program and not into Medical/Cancer research or something more important than paying off Diaz and paying Cristobal.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting that on a day that OU hired if not the top DCoord in the country, certainly one of the top5. That OU had a 5 star DT flip to A&M. Under Venables at Clemson a number of his DL's were 1st round draft picks, as Clemson has had some tremendous DL's.

Texas A&M flipped five-star defensive tackle Gabe Brownlow-Dindy from Oklahoma on Monday, giving the Aggies three five-star football commitments in the class.

Brownlow-Dindy is the No. 4 recruit overall and had been committed to the Sooners since Oct. 12. He stayed committed when news broke that Lincoln Riley left to take the head coaching job at Southern California, but rumors swirled that he was looking around.

12. Scott88

We actually have four 5 star commits.

Jimbo & Co had never stopped recruiting this kid so when Riley bailed he was ripe to be pulled out. DeMarvin Leal is about to be a top 15 pick in the draft so selling his spot to this kid wouldn't be that hard.

13. Terry O'Keefe

From an Athletic article on the Oregon coach search. Brings up that Dec 8th is the day that Bryan Harsin has to be vaccinated if he wants to stay employed by Auburn. Nothing has been said and he's been out recruiting like he's going to be there, so I'm betting he's been vaxed and just doesn't want to talk about it for his own reasons.

There have been whispers that Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin could look to move. A disappointing 6-6 regular season didn’t help. The upcoming vaccine mandate at Auburn on Dec. 8 has also brought questions as Harsin hasn’t said if he’s vaccinated. However, Oregon has a vaccine mandate as well. If Harsin is vaccinated, perhaps he’ll want to return to the Pacific Northwest after going 69-19 as Boise State head coach.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So if Harsin is fired for not getting vaccinated, is Auburn on the hook for his whole salary? If he leaves voluntarily, they don't have to pay him.

15. Terry O'Keefe

That's a good question, you're into employment law now counselor. I don't really want to get going on this too much, but the Washington State coach who was fired, was fired without pay as the University claimed they had cause, he of course is suing. I would imagine the same situation exists here.

16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Been in Florida for about a week. Went to my 66th High School reunion and had a great time.

Catching up to date with our new coach and am very happy with who we got and his approach.

Seems you Notre Dame fans are pretty happy also.

Quite a shock that Cristobal went to Miami but it is him returning home. We will see how that one works out.

17. Terry O'Keefe

The Oklahoma State DCoord has been hired by Ohio State. He'll coach Oklahoma State through the Fiesta Bowl. So his last gig at OSU/Oklahoma is vs Notre Dame and his first gig at OSU/Ohio is vs Notre Dame.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I think this is a good hire for us. We definitely need some help on defense. Ironic situation for Notre Dame as mentioned above by Terry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Don do you think Kerry Combs is done at Ohio State after the Rose Bowl? What about Matt Barnes?

20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Good question Terry, Day has not mentioned anyone leaving, but the defensive room is overflowing at the moment.