Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've gotten the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles vaccine ...neither of which provide 100% protection from either.

2. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I agree, I think we should all now be compelled to get the pneumonia and shingles vaccines. If you do not comply, you're fired or your business closed, you're no longer allowed to travel in buses or planes, nor allowed in public spaces of greater than three people.

The pneumonia and shingles vaccines have been proven to be safe and effective after all.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think that being vaccinated probably decreases your chances of being infected and transmitting the disease despite the fact that it has been shown to have breakthrough infections and transmission. I don't think they have the numbers to quantify that yet but they are working on it. Another example of "forced inquisition" of health status would be colleges and universities requesting Meningitis B and Hep B vaccine status and then either requiring or strongly recommending the vaccine. Many schools require it for living in dormitory situations or even for admission.

4. Stu Ryckman

Again...not really a fair comparison. This falls back on the "you're only at risk for yourself" argument which is undoubtedly true in these cases...we can at least have a debate about that in the case of COVID.

5. Stu Ryckman

I did find this from my previous posts (regarding transmission after vaccination).

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2106757

"Given that vaccination reduces asymptomatic infection with SARS-CoV-2,2,3 it is plausible that vaccination reduces transmission; however, data from clinical trials and observational studies are lacking.4,5 We provide empirical evidence suggesting that vaccination may reduce transmission by showing that vaccination of health care workers is associated with a decrease in documented cases of Covid-19 among members of their households. This finding is reassuring for health care workers and their families"

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Strawman? Of course you know that Covid is a transmissible deadly disease that put those around you at risk, while those who are around a person with Shingles is not, same for pneumonia.

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

First of all a case can be made that those who are vaccinated yet get infected are often not aware that they have Covid but believe it's a less serious disease such as a cold or flu. They would be more likely to return to the work place and infect others.
    We've recently learned that the CDC was influenced by the teacher's union in creating their Covid school recommendations. Can we trust what they come up with as far as breakthrough infections and the ability to pass on infections? The present administration rules their departments with an iron fist.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I looked up the required vaccinations for Notre Dame, if you want to be a student there.

What vaccines are required by the University of Notre Dame?

• Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) series after first birthday
    • Varicella (chicken pox) series after first birthday
    • Hepatitis B series
    • Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) (at or after age 11) Note: if Tdap was received more than 10 years ago, Tetanus, diphtheria (Td) within the last 10 years
    • Meningitis-ACYW (at or after age 16) Note: Meningitis-B vaccine, while recommended, does not meet this requirement
    • In addition, students coming from countries of high tuberculosis (TB) incidence will be tested for TB at UHS. (If you have results of an interferon-gamma release assay TB blood test, such as Quantiferon Gold, performed in a lab in the US, within 6 months prior to arriving on campus, you can submit; otherwise, you will be tested at UHS.)
    • New this year, COVID-19 vaccine

9. WSU1996kesley

Thank you Stu, that was indeed the point I was trying to illustrate. Many that are against vaccine mandates would point out that comparing COVID shots with existing vaccination requirements are not really a fair comparison, either.

10. WSU1996kesley

What You Should Know: Workplace Religious Accommodation | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Just because the Pope or other Church leadership "approves" it, doesn't mean a member of that church can't have legal rights as regards their individual religious beliefs, specifically as provided for by the EEOC.

11. WSU1996kesley

Every one of us has a different idea of what constitutes a reasonable imposition into our Constitutionally-guaranteed Freedoms, include free speech / religion / press, bear arms, ... , unreasonable search /seizure, life / liberty / pursuit of happiness.

I recognize that each of us have a different sensitivity of when we will allow the Government to infringe on those rights.

I am specifically being intentional with my language so as to try not to offend my good friends and family on this board. If I veer too far in any of my messages, please forgive me, and let me know where I have trampled. My intent is to speak with conviction of the conclusions I have reached, but be sensitive and respectful of similarly-held yet different opinions. I am trying to challenge certain ideas and opinions, even those with whom I agree, but definitely not trying to offend while doing so.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Kes, you and I differ in our approach to vaccination requirements as well as in some political beliefs, but I never have come close to being offended by anything you've written, and I'm confident it won't happen. I respect the time and effort you expend to delineate your beliefs, and you always express them in a respectful manner. I respect you, regardless of whether we might disagree from time to time.

The "What You Should Know" link speaks generally to workers' rights. I noted the sentence which reads, "This includes refusing to accommodate an employee's sincerely held religious beliefs or practices unless (key word) the accommodation would impose an undue hardship (more than a minimal burden on operation of the business). I interpret that to mean that if an employer is concerned that the spread of Covid, a highly contagious infection, would impose "undue hardship" on the business, the employer can require the preventive measure of vaccination. Of course, I'm not an attorney, so I'm just speculating.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So while we're talking about the economic bullies who currently run this country, someone asked if welfare recipients who are unvaccinated still get their benefits? I'm willing to bet that's not the case. Illegals and welfare recipients don't have to be vaccinated but hard working individuals including the once heroes first responders do. Let's go Brandon.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like there is a possibility of another football coach getting fired over refusing to comply with a mandate to get the vaccine. Byron Harsin at Auburn is one of them, there is another one in Mike Leach at Miss State.

With Auburn University last week mandating a Dec. 8 deadline for all university employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, head football coach Bryan Harsin on Monday declined to disclose whether or not he had received the vaccine or planned to receive it.

Harsin has refused multiple times to discuss his vaccination status going back to SEC media days in July and said it was a deeply personal decision for everyone. But his comments Monday were his first since the university announced on Oct. 22 that it had modified its vaccine policy to require all employees to be fully vaccinated or face termination.

Harsin still mum on vax status as mandate looms

15. Terry O'Keefe

Coaches refusing to talk about their vaccination status...sort of reminds me of this skit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

Thought this would be of interest in our never-ending search for data. I think it's good stuff and affirms the non-mandate folks.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Thanks Stu, that's some interesting numbers.
    Time to move to Denmark. ;)
    How the heck is Ireland so "young"???

18. Terry O'Keefe

That was my first take away!

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Drink Guinness. "It's good fer ya."

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I got my booster Thursday after work, went pretty much like #2, got achy and a low grade fever, but was 100% this morning.

I tried to get them to strap me down to a table but they said that the Dominatrix/Pharmacist only worked weekends and I would have to reschedule. I wanted to get now so I went with the voluntary jab! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1