Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

You can't always get what you want....

Me and Red are gonna see the Stones in MN on the 24th. My 3rd, her 2nd time.

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Everyone is governed by personal experience in this matter. You guys know that I am a conservative minded person who cherishes individual rights. I also now know nine people either directly or by name who have died of covid 19. Two had serious mitigating health issues but the other seven would all be walking among us otherwise. Most were dead within five days.

So I look at my life and make the value judgement I'm not ready to go, I'm not ready to says goodbye to my loved ones and I want to protect myself in some way more tangible than a paper mask and arbitrary spacing. So my family put their bet on the vaccine. I just got the Pfizer booster a week ago. In another week I will get my annual flu shot which no one will question me about. If I step on a nail I will get a tetanus shot. That is my logic. I just hate to see opposition for "political" reasons and unfounded, illogical conspiracy theories. If you are generally fearful of the vaccine or really believe that covid 19 is not that dangerous then I respect your position and wish you well. You guys are all friends and mean a lot to me.

I'll leave you with an anecdote about one of my son's trooper friends who 37 and was hit with covid 19 out of the blue. Almost ten days in the hospital, five on a ventilator. This guy was in perfect physical condition. He made it out, is still on medical leave six weeks later with shortness of breath and fatigue, His words to my son? If I had known how bad this was I would have gotten vaccinated. I was sure I was dead.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Having said most of my thoughts, I'll throw out that I read this morning on social media a piece by a friend of an anonymous Southwest pilot. It was respectful, thoughtful, and reasonable. It expressed numerous reasons that the pilot and many others are vaccine hesitant. The reasons pretty much were the same hesitations that Kesley has expressed. One additional one is that pilots are already somewhat at risk of blood clots due to the nature of their job.

4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Thank you Stu.

As always, I appreciate your points.

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211013-090910~2.png A little humor on this subject...

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

(CNN)Throughout August, the risk of dying from Covid-19 was 11 times higher for unvaccinated adults than for fully vaccinated adults in the United States, according to new data published by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Unvaccinated adults faced a six times higher risk of testing positive for Covid-19 throughout the month, and In the last week of August, the risk of being hospitalized was nearly 19 times higher for unvaccinated adults than fully vaccinated adults.

New CDC data shows the risk of dying from Covid-19 is 11 times higher for unvaccinated adults than for fully vaccinated adults - CNN

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Italy now requires everyone to be vaccinated if they want to have a job.

ROME — Italy pushed into new territory for a Western democracy on Friday, enforcing a stringent workplace vaccination rule that was dramatically reshaping society even as the morning shift began. Everywhere from offices to factories, workers faced a new requirement for entering and earning a paycheck: They had to first flash the QR code of a government-issued health pass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b045e2-2d99-11ec-b17d-985c186de338_story.html

• Like Like x 1
  8. WSU1996kesley

No mention of the relative risk for those that have previously had the virus but recovered?

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Reported this morning that Colin Powell has died of Covid complications. He was fully vaccinated.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

He also was suffering from Multiple Myeloma

Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells

From CNN’s Jake Tapper

Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, according to a source familiar with the matter. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response.

Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, immunocompromised people are at greater risk from the coronavirus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

He also had Parkinson's Disease. It's been well documented that people whose immune systems are compromised, as was his and that of an old friend of our family, are vulnerable to Covid even if vaccinated.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Washington State fires Nick Rolovich it's Head Coach and 4 Assistant coaches over their refusal to get vaccinated. I'd say I feel bad for him, but he made a choice. Probably a Billion people all over the world have gotten vaccinated, and there have been very few side effects. The Vaccine is a tribute to modern science and medicine, harnessing an existing technology, mRNA, to produce a very effective vaccine that has saved no doubt millions of lives around the world.

I'm sure the argument will be made that he shouldn't have to choose between his personal beliefs and his job. I don't have the answer, as I think he's dumb to have made the choice that he did, but it's his right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WSU1996kesley

Based on being intimately familiar with his personal situation?

14. Terry O'Keefe

Not surprising that Rolovich is suing the University for his termination. He is claiming that his "devout" Catholic faith is his reason. OK, maybe he missed it but the Pope is vaccinated. Also not exactly sure why they are suing Wash State Univ. They were following state law and his request was blind so the AD had no input, that is couldn't tell those evaluating the request to deny any particular application because he didn't know which application that was submitted by Rolovich.

Brian Fahling, an attorney in Kenmore, Washington, who is representing Rolovich, confirmed in a statement to ESPN that Rolovich's request for a religious exemption based on his "devout" Catholic faith was denied by the university. Chun and WSU president Kirk Schulz on Monday would not confirm whether the exemption requests from Rolovich and the other coaches had been denied, saying only that Rolovich's request for accommodations could not be met. The university used a blind evaluation process for all exemption requests, where a two-person panel does not know each applicant's name or job title before making decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Why is it an employer can't ask someone's HIV status, whether a woman plans on getting pregnant, etc. but the vax portion of their health history is open to inquisition?
    Once again the hypocrites who claim that they are "anti-bullying" economically bully anyone who doesn't do what they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

More on Rolovich's situation and whether he can be successful suing the University.

USA TODAY

17. Terry O'Keefe

I don't have the answer but it's not a new situation, schools have forever required proof that your child is vaccinated against a number of things before they can enroll, if they aren't and refuse to correct it, then they can't attend public school.

As far as comparing Covid vax status to HIV status, personally I see that as an apples/oragnes. Unless you are planning on having sex/bodily fluids exchange with your fellow employee their HIV status is different than their Vax status since the vast majority of science/medical/public health experts agree that spread of Covid which could cost you your life is best combated by getting the vaccine. Your health won't be challenged by merely working with a HIV+ person, and while I'm speculating here the whole HIV status probably has some basis in employment discrimination against gay males.

The women's pregnacy status again is really apples/oranges. It's an employment discrimination issue, not health of her coworkers issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's a smokescreen. I'm not surprised it was rejected. The only faith-based grounds a Catholic would have for refusing the vaccine would be the use of fetal cell tissue in the research and/or the production stages. You can check me on this because I read it back ibn 2020, and my memory is questionable beyond 5 minutes, but as I recall reading, the church outright approved Pfizer and Moderna on the basis that fetal cell tissue was not used in either stage. The church conditionally approved J&J because the tissue was used in the research stage but not in production. They said that in the absence of a fully approved vaccine, J&J could be taken "under protest". To top it off, like Terry said, the Pope has been vaccinated.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

As far as I know childhood vaccinations prevent the patient from contracting the disease. Covid vaccines DO NOT. You can be infected whether or not you're vaccinated. You can spread Covid if you are vaccinated. What protects individuals is whether or not THEY are vaccinated not others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

They should never have called it immunity. Resistance seems like a more accurate term.