Week 6 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 4, 2021.

1. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Was the walk back to the car any easier with 50k rushing the field?

2. WSU1996kesley

OU - 55 points, 662 yards offense (323 passing, 339 rushing including 217 by Brooks)
    Texas - 48 points, 516 yards offense (388 passing, 128 rushing including 137 by Robinson)

"defense" wasn't the first word that popped into my head...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, I take a lot of crap for being "Lou" and poor-mouthing Alabama so I am going to post a couple of your quotes from earlier in the week. I am doing this to point out the I (and Don) were the only ones on here to give A&M a chance.

"kp, I wish I could talk some smack this week, but Terry was actually being kind in reference to our offensive woes. The QB has zero pocket sense and reads way too slowly. That is a very bad thing when your OL only occasionally plays as a unit.
    I expect the defense to put up decent resistance for a half but they will inevitably see the futility of their task and wear down."

"kp, you haven't seen us.
    The problem is we don't do anything well on offense right now. The OL can't get on the same page for more than 2 plays in a row, which means we are usually behind the chains and with a mostly immobile QB who takes way too long on his progressions, that is not a good recipe for success.
    I have to hope Nick orders the defense to be completely vanilla, and not disguise anything for us to pass.
    Even tho we have two of the best RB's in the country, it doesn't mean much against 8 or 9 in the box."

I watch every play of every Alabama game. This team is not the caliber of our teams of the past and the truth is all of those teams were beatable too. They were very good but they were beatable. Alabama is the biggest game on everyone's schedule. I've said it before that teams almost psyche themselves out before the game even starts. They change their game plan to a more gambling, go-for-it mindset and it almost always backfires. I call it the Tiger Woods effect. Anyway, I watch almost every play of every Alabama game. I don't leave early and I don't turn off the TV in the 4th quarter. I know we are beatable and I try to say so every week. If that makes me "Lou" then ok. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I think that is a good point. The combination of Saban's reputation, the incredible recruiting success you guys have had and of course all the winning and Nat'l Titles gives you what you accurately called the Tiger effect. But also to be fair, you guys have earned that, just like Tiger rightly came by his status at the peak of his career.

That team last year was so good on offense, Mac Jones and those WR's and RB's playing behind a really good OL were just too much for most teams. But even that team had to go to the end with Ole Miss and the Gators in the SEC Championship game. So much talent though left for the NFL, their replacements are really good but maybe just not quite as good as what left.

I still expect the Tide to win the rest of their games and then face Georgia in the SEC Championship game. By then, barring a bunch of injuries, they will likely be deservingly the #2 team in the Country, assuming of course that Georgia doesn't stumble somewhere along the line.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Aw c'mon...it was me who called you "Lou" and it was just (I thought) good natured teasing and kind of funny. Wasn't trying to give you any crap. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

kp, Following the game, in a conversation with a friend, I mentioned you, not by name but as a friend who is an avid Alabama fan and who I thought sounded like Lou Holtz when you would provide a cautious assessment of Alabama's teams and their chances in certain games. I told my friend I never again will call you Lou. In fact, henceforth, I'll take your thoughts and words seriously. I thought I had initiated the Lou moniker, but I was reminded in Stu's post that he had done so. For my part, I'm putting Lou to rest, and I never again will use it in my conversations with you or anyone else. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

So who was it Sid or Stu who first used Lou with kp? :D

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've proven many times over that my memory is suspect. After I posted, I saw Stu's post and immediately recalled that he had originated it. I edited my post to provide proper credit.

9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Kp you are of course right, no team is invincible and you are also right about some schools changing things up for the Tide.
    Even at the beginning of the season when this game was circled I was not so sure we'd be ready. A new OL and new QB is not a recipe for success against the Tide.
    When those problems were magnified during the previous games it's hard not to predict a loss for us. I didn't expect us to get it figured out in a week. What I did know is we MIGHT.
    A lot of the talking heads seemed to overlook that this team is now comprised of 4 top 10 recruiting classes. So while I think sometimes you are giving the Lou act, I didn't think you were doing it this week. I just didn't think we'd get our ship in order in time to get it done.

10. Terry O'Keefe

D'Eriq King the Miami QB who is an incredible talent as a dual threat college Qb, but is also very slightly built and has had injury issues that have derailed his last couple of seasons. Is done as a college QB. I can't see him making it in the NFL, not because of talent but durability.

A spring 2020 transfer out of Houston, King returned to Miami for his sixth season with high hopes for a big year after suffering a torn ACL in his right knee in the Cheez-It Bowl last December against Oklahoma State. He spent the entire offseason rehabbing multiple times a day to make it back in time for the season opener against Alabama. In three games, King threw for 767 yards with three touchdowns and four interceptions.

King entered the year widely touted as one of the nation's top dual-threat quarterbacks. He is the most accurate passer in Miami history and has accounted for 111 touchdowns, 76 of them passing, 32 more rushing and three receiving. No player in college football over the past 20 years has had as many touchdowns in each of those categories.

11. Stu Ryckman

I meant no disrespect and intended no offense. I will not call you Lou again...I will refer to you as "Grumpy Nick". ;):)

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Scott88

That's too bad about King. Lots of potential that flashed some, but never really got off the deck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Stu, Sid, Terry and anyone else...being called Lou did not offend me. I took it in what I felt was the lighthearted spirit it was offered. No problem, really.:) I really believe that there are 2 maybe 3 more teams on our schedule that could beat us. I think we lose at least one more and hopefully that's all.
    Sincerely,
    Lou

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. WSU1996kesley

The streak was at 100. The previous loss to an unranked team was in 2007, when first year Saban and unranked 6-4 Bama lost 14-21 to Louisiana-Monroe. (For some reason I thought they were still NE Louisiana, but that changed in 1999.)

The two losses (ULM / A&M) don't even seem relatable.

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

You’re a funny man, Stu….

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

17. Stu Ryckman

Sorry. Try this.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Scott88

"at least I'm not L$U." That crack will never get old!!! :D

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha! Interesting that LSU has 3 losses, has not beaten a ranked team and is 16 in AP poll. A&M has 2 losses and beat #1 and is not ranked. Ogeron is on the hot seat, Fisher probably just got a raise.o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Not sure what rankings you are looking at kp, LSU hasn't been ranked for weeks, and A&M is back in the rankings this week.