Week 5 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Giving up 21 pts to Lumpy and the Miss St Pirates should have been a win for my defense.
    Unfortunately... the Offense gifted them with 5, and couldn't get out of their own way.
    I told my wife while we were watching the CU game when Haynes King broke his leg "There goes the season"... I was hoping to be wrong, but sadly I was not.

A lot of our fans were happy to see Kellen Mond move on, but I'd bet pretty good money if he was with us this year, we'd be heading to the Bama game undefeated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Big 10 looking really good right now, Iowa and Penn State in the top 4 and Ohio State and Michigan in the top 10. Cincinnati at #5 poised to move into the top4 since Iowa/PSU play next weekend.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I am really surprised at the number of Big Ten teams in the top 10 right now. Unfortunately we will be beating one another up through the rest of the season. Something will have to give, but I do not really know who will be the survivor when its all over and done?

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The Iowa v PSU game is the 1st time since 1962 where two top 5 team B10 meet in the regular season and does not involve OSU or Michigan.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Don't forget "little brother" Michigan State at 5-0 sitting right outside the top 10.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I guess Kiffin just said he knew his popcorn statement was a mistake as soon as soon as he said it. He also apologized to the interviewer. Not that big of a deal. He's a trip.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Kiffin is unique. He's active on Twitter, doesn't just have somebody in the Ath Dept post stuff for him. He gets into it personally, like when Wilborn called him a clown. It's entertaining and as long as he wins people will put up with his quirky personality. He really does seem to be a guy who might wear out his welcome sooner than most, we'll see.

Steve Spurrier was quirky as well, but he won a lot and won a Nat'l Championshp. Same for Lou Holtz, win a lot and win a Nat'l Title and people look at it differently than a HC who is .500 and below.

8. Terry O'Keefe

BTW I didnt' see it but they can't stop talking about a play Bo Nix made vs LSU that was Johnny Manziel like, I guess it was but that's been so long ago I've forgotten.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, A&M had that kind of luck for one season, it seems like Auburn has that luck an awful lot.

10. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

hey don..can you imagine notre dame being in big 10??LOL???

11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

jif, I would have preferred Notre Dame over Rutgers! Sorry to disappoint you.:)

12. Scott88

Correction:. It wasnt luck, Johnny did that crap all the time. I think he had 8 eyes like a spider and could see all directions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, he lost 6 or 7 of those eyes the next season.;)

14. Scott88

I would argue he lost a lot of the talent around him (mostly on defense) but he was the same slippery as heck guy.
    (statistically, he was a better passer his second year)

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I’ll agree on losing talent around him, but also defenses adapted and his luck ran out. You can’t throw it up like he did and not get burned. Evans played as big a part in his success as anything

16. Terry O'Keefe

All of Manziels stats in his 2nd year exceeded his Heisman year stats. He threw fewer passes and completed a higher % for more total yards and more yards per completion. He threw for significantly more TD's (37 vs 26 in his Heisman year). He did throw a few more picks though. His QB rating was significantly higher as well. The biggest difference was in 2012 he ran for over 1400 yards but in 2013 it was about half of that.

The other difference was that in 2012 A&M was 11-2 with big wins over Alabama early and a huge win in the Cotton Bowl over Bob Stooops and OU where Manziel personally beat them with his feet and his arm. But in 2013 they were 9-4 and instead of beating Alabama he lost in a pretty exciting game.

49-42

Texas A&M 2013 final score: Tide outlast Aggies 49-42. The game featured more twists, turns and points than Nick Saban would prefer. But despite giving up 628 yards, the most in school history, the Alabama Crimson Tide came through when it mattered to hang on to beat Texas A&M 49-42 in College Station.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Here's what I remember. Manziel totally confused Alabama in 2012. We rushed him like a conventional passer and he ran circles around us. He threw passes up and Evans caught everything even close and we lost. The next year he still completed a lot of passes but he also threw some ints. , we didn't and we won. I think others figured out the same thing and that's why they lost 4 games. He was special but he was so different in that first year that I think he just caught everyone off guard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Scott88

Some of that is valid but, Manziel dedicated himself to being a better passer. As Terry pointed out he didn't run nearly as much in 2013 as he did in 2012 so some of the magic was inherently gone. As for the record, the defense in 12 gave up 22 pts a game. In 13 that jumped to 31. I'd say that might cost you a few games even with a Heisman QB...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I wonder if Dave's following his idols storyline?

20. Terry O'Keefe

Are you talking about Urban? I'm not sure that by the time he left UF he was Daves idol.

• Like Like x 1