Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 8, 2021.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You know, I shouldn't even comment on it since I have not watched a second of it. I'm just read the headlines. It chafes me because she has promoted herself exhaustively as the best there ever was. That is no longer debatable in my view. That's all I have to say about her.

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Pretty certain Giannis (who allegedly made 80M this year in salary and endorsements) will not be a member of that group of NBA players who blew through their fortune and ended up broke. He ain’t watching Olympic basketball if he has to pay to see it on NBC’s Peacock.:D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

American Gymnast Sunisa Lee won the Gold in the All-Around competition, one that was almost conceded to Simone Biles before the Olympics. Good for her and the USA!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Disclosure; I know nothing about gymnastics.

Article today from USA Today and Gannet newspapers that I can't link to (subscribers only); she apparently was getting the "Twisties"...which involves losing your place in the air and not knowing where you are. It kind of sounds to me like "yips" in golf...which we know some very good pros have struggled with. The difference is that if you yip a putt you lose a stroke...if you land on your neck in gymnastics you risk serious injury. The article goes on to list several world class gymnasts who have been paralyzed or died with similar problems.

"I experienced those mental blocks throughout my career as a gymnast, and to be quite blunt, it only took one bad time of getting lost — or what they called the ‘twisties’ — in the air in a big flip to break my neck and leave me paralyzed,” former gymnast Jacoby Miles, who was paralyzed from the chest down when she was 15, said. “So I’m SO SO glad she decided to not continue until she’s mentally recovered.”

"During warmups for vault, the U.S. women’s first event in the team final, Biles got what’s known as “the twisties.” While practicing an Amanar, a difficult vault that would normally be second nature for Biles, she lost track of where she was in the air and stopped twisting. The same thing then occurred in the actual competition. Fortunately, Biles simply dropped to the ground, nearly landing on her knees. But she just as easily could have landed on her head, neck or back."

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Changing the sport, has anyone watched 7-man Rugby? I caught the last 2 matches last night. It's been many years since I've watched Rugby, and back then it was full teams. The 7-man game allows much more open field running. Fiji won its second straight gold medal beating New Zealand with pretty amazing power and speed. There are big and fast athletes on both sides playing this game. According to the announcers, 7-man Rugby is the national sport of Fiji.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Rugby is brutal. 7-man Rugby is has the potential to be unbelievably so.

I have a ton of respect for Rugby players, and from a viewer standpoint, it is an exciting sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I have not watched 1 moment of the Olympics and will not be doing so. Too much Woke crap going on there from what I hear.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Swimming is entertaining as always. Track and Field also fun to watch. Golf seemed uninspired. Just a so-so field.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Haven't watched much myself, not really any particular reason just never been a person who watched much of it even in the "good" old days.

10. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree. Aside from his obvious great swimming talent, he's an impressive young man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree with that.

How about Ledecky? She has the 22 fastest times on record for the 800 meter free style. Now that's dominance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So I decided to watch some Oly the past couple of days. Saw the women get smoked by the ROC in volleyball then saw our men's version get skunked by Argentina. Do we ever win any games in volleyball? But the ultimate loss was our women's beach volleyball team to CANADA!!! What the hell is the beach season in Canada 5 weeks???? Gotta love our swimmers, they take care of business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Think the Canadian team trains in Florida and live in their grandparents winter condos.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Bobdawolverweasel

The haka is a Maori tribal dance done before battle to intimidate their foe but also used in celebrations and as a sign of respect to visitors. Since the Maori were reputedly cannibals, I imagine visitors were very careful to avoid conduct that might offend a Maori.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the Womens soccer team lost to Canada and at best can get a bronze metal. While it's sheer speculation and maybe not even fair on my part, but I do wonder if their focus on expressing their selves on social issues resulted in less focus on the pitch.

Also I see that Simone Biles will do the balance beam; I hope she wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stu Ryckman

We still have one team left. (Canada has two). April Ross and Alex Klineman will play Germany today in the Quarter Finals. We wouldn't catch either Canadian team until the Final.

18. Stu Ryckman

Wouldn't that be considered some kind of inappropriate cultural appropriation if it happened in the old Woke USA? :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The question I always have is, before the British arrived just who else was in New Zealand for the Maori to intimidate? Other than camera-carrying Japanese tourists I just can't see other peoples traveling to NZ.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Well, Biles withdrawal gave yet another American Gymnast a chance at Gold and she scored! Good for her.

• Like Like x 1