College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So you say ESPN is behind the curtain for this little party? NO! :rolleyes:
    Wow, Bowlsby finally grew a pair.
    He's been a sop to Texas for his entire tenure, and now he realizes he's been played all along...
    Hmmm...

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

At this point Bowlsby is too late, obviously ESPN has an interest in everything that goes on in college football, but to start down this path is really a waste of time.

3. Terry O'Keefe

We've had a top running back from the Houston area decide not to play his Senior year so he can concentrate on academics and preparing himself for playing at Texas in 2022, Jaydon Blue.

Now we have a top rated QB, Quinn Ewers, who is committed to Ohio State saying he might forego his Senior season and enroll early at Ohio State so he can get NIL money. They are saying he might make a million dollars if he does. This for a youngster who hasn't taken a snap at Ohio State, and who won't likely play in 2021 even if he does enroll.

There is a HS basketball player who has signed up with a management company to get some NIL money. I imagine that state athletic associations are going to have to deal with high profile athletes wanting in on the NIL money, I also imagine that they will be loath to give into the kids and their parents. Probably somebody will have to sue.

Star scoring guard Mikey Williams has signed a deal with Excel Sports Management, becoming the first prep basketball player to partner with an agency to pursue name, image and likeness (NIL) deals.

Williams, 17, is not eligible for the NBA Draft until 2024, but with five million followers across his social media platforms, he's expected to bring in lucrative endorsement deals in the NIL marketplace.

"We will work with Mikey to continue to develop his personal brand and build an endorsement and partnership portfolio that is authentic to who he is and what he stands for," Excel Sports said in a statement. "He is truly a unique talent primed to take advantage of the rapidly evolving athlete endorsement space and we know the future is bright for him."

Williams, a 6-foot-2 San Diego native who will attend Lake Norman Christian in Huntersville, N.C., is ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 5 nationally in the Class of 2023, according to the 247Sports Composite

High school phenom Mikey Williams signs with Excel Sports for NIL representation

4. Scott88

Remember when playing sports was for fun? :oops:

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

.....and a free college education?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Why would people need to leave HS for NIL money? Don't high school kids have the same potential to earn NIL money?

7. Terry O'Keefe

High School Athletic Associations all across the country likely have rule prohibiting HS athletes from earning NIL money like what college athletes now can earn. They are also likely to fight allowing kids to get that money as well, somebody is going to have to sue to get them that right. Even those states that have passed legislation enabling college kids to have NIL money, that legislation specifically is targeted at college athletes, it doesn't include HS athletes.

Now I would agree that High School kids/athletes have the same rights as college kids but I will be surprised if State HS Associations give in on this very easily.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree with Terry. In fact, I would go so far as to say an athlete will be barred from competing if he or she accepts money related to his/her athletic participation. Some athletes, a miniscule number, who are highly ranked and recruited probably can forgo their senior years and not endanger their futures. Others may have to wait until their high school careers are over. I agree with Terry that there likely will be lawsuits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember, Terry

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The only difference may be that the high school athlete does not generate income for the high school at least at public schools.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Boom! It's a done deal.

The 14 SEC presidents and chancellors voted unanimously on Thursday to extend invitations to Big 12 co-founders Oklahoma and Texas to join their league, leaving one final formality before the deal is done: OU and Texas have to officially accept the offer, which could happen as soon as Friday.

The board of regents for both Texas and Oklahoma have scheduled separate special meetings Friday morning, where athletic conference membership will be discussed. Oklahoma's regents will meet in Oklahoma City, and Texas' regents will meet via conference call.

12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

13. Gator Bill

Now to see what happens in the SEC with divisions. Lots of speculation.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Actually I like kp's tongue in cheek suggestion of a Southwest Division and Southeast Division.

SW
    LSU
    Ark
    Ole Miss
    Miss State
    Texas A&M
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Missouri

SE
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Tenn
    Vanderbilt
    Kentucky

15. Gator Bill

Interesting article Terry, thanks.

I do find it surprising that only about the same number of colleges make money with their sports.

16. Gator Bill

I would not be to excited to be in the same division with Alabama, Georgia and Auburn. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, I hear you but would you rather have Oklahoma and Texas?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Scott88

It's going to be a pod set up, and it'll suck. Whereas currently we only get to play out of division teams once every decade, now it'll take a century.
    (I'm only slightly exaggerating)
    :confused:

19. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that article Bill. Here are a few tidbits that tickled my funny bone:

Yes, we all know how significant the academic consideration was in this move!

Hoo-boy, I bet it will be every road game will be quite the shindig!

I'm sure things happened VERY fast!

Here are two alternate ways of saying that last sentence and not changing how true it is:
    - Including Washington St. and Oklahoma in that mix, the average would have been approximately four.
    - Including Oklahoma in that mix, the average would have been approximately four.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

And that's my main concern with the expansion. We currently don't get to play some teams in the conference for several years and now it will be worse. I'm not sure what you mean by "a pod setup" but there is no way to solve the problem with 16 teams.