College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

No shock at this point, but OU and Texas gave official notice they will not be renewing their Media Rights with the Big12. Next up will be negotiations I'm sure to leave sooner than 2025, also other B12 schools have to seriously consider their futures and what to do about the B12.
    Oklahoma and Texas officially notified the Big 12 on Monday that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following their expiration in 2025, according to a joint statement released by both schools.

Texas, OU not renewing Big 12 media rights

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I say we give OU/Texas the same deal they gave TCU when they joined the B12.
    :cool:

3. Terry O'Keefe

I actually don't remember what the TCU to the B12 deal was, did they have to pay to join or something like that?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Not that there was much doubt, but with the addition of OU and Texas the SEC is by far the best conference for football. So many strong teams. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Texas, OU, Georgia, Florida the Big 10 can match it in revenue but not in on the field strength top to bottom. I have to believe that it will all result in high-ranking HS players gravitating to SEC teams as preparation for the NFL in even greater numbers than before. Already SEC teams have been successful in drawing in the top QB's from California, I can see that migration increasing.

Other conferences can expand to match the number of teams, but they won't be able to add teams with strength of program as the SEC has at this point.

I don't know what the Irish will do, I do believe that if we must join a conference that our current contract with the ACC is pretty solid and wouldn't allow us to say join the Big 10 without some severe penalties. Also, I do believe any talk of Clemson leaving to join the SEC is in the same boat, I believe after Maryland surprised everybody and left for the Big 10 the ACC put some poison pills in the contracts that will make it prohibitively expensive to leave.

5. Terry O'Keefe

First order of Business. The SEC Championship game has to move from Atlanta to Dallas at least every other year! ;););)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Scott88

You made them take reduced share of the conference payouts for several years...
    WELCOME FRIENDS!
    ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Texas and Oklahoma have notified the Big 12 they will not renew their contract.

But so far I don't think the SEC has voted. I doubt they get 4 votes to block but who knows.

Also looks like it may not be final for a couple of years.

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think I read they are committed to the B12 through 2025.

10. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Weeeellllll, it depends on how desperate OU and tu are to get away. The commitment is in their TV rights (1st and 2nd tier). They could forfeit those rights, or negotiate a hefty offset to leave early. EVERYTHING is negotiable, right? One option is always to leave and tell the B12 "so sue us".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I can't imagine that OU and Texas will be playing in the Big 12 till 2025, I would guess there will eventually be negotiations and that they will be playing in the SEC by 2022, 2023 at the very latest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Have OU and tu officially notified the SEC how much begging each of the 14 prospective members must do before they will be allowed to be part of the future SupErConference? I assume some of the existing SEC teams are at risk for veto by the two leaders of the new conference...? :D

13. Terry O'Keefe

Well, it's speculated that they will be applying to the SEC sometime pretty soon. They will need 11 of the 14 teams to vote them in and I can't imagine that they will not be voted in unanimously to be honest. It would be shocking if they basically didn't already have a deal with the SEC commissioner for their approval. It would be gross incompetence if they went this far with no assurances that they would be accepted even if those assurances were behind the scenes negotiations.

ESPNU keeps bringing up a "reported" pact that Fla, So.Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky have to vote as a block against membership in the SEC by FSU, Clemson, Ga.Tech and Louisville should any of those attempt to join. That would guarantee that none of their instate rivals could join, leaving them 1 vote short in each instance.

Texas A&M has no such voting block in their corner. I do believe there would be a big negative fallout from an A&M vote to deny Texas entry, even if it was the only one of the current 14 members.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Well that didn't take long...

Oklahoma and Texas have formally notified the SEC they are seeking "an invitation for membership" beginning July 1, 2025, according to a joint statement from the flagship programs of the Big 12.

According to the release, OU and Texas sent SEC commissioner Greg Sankey their request Tuesday morning.

OU, Texas formally ask SEC for member invite

15. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

It would appear to me that this move on the part of Oklahoma and Texas has been in the works longer than people realized?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Poor Aggies. Get a divorce to escape a devious partner. New life works out well. Then a few years later, an orange moving van pulls into the driveway next door.

F27B89B8-4E0B-4D02-A4A0-95D0184A1A08.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bobda never disappoints. :D

18. Terry O'Keefe

Of course all the talk now is what will the Pac 12 do, what will the Big 10 do, what will the ACC do...

Truth is that all of this expansion has to do with footprint and TV sets for advertising. Other than Notre Dame there are no more schools out there that move the needle in terms of footprints. Big 10 certainly didn't admit Rutgers for it's outstanding football program, it expanded the Big 10 Network into a big TV market. None of the teams left have that going for them. You might say that UCF sitting right there in the middle of a big populous state like Fla does, but they are way down the dial from UF, FSU and Miami so really can't say they would bring much to the table. West Virgina has had a solid football program and a good competitive basketball program, but WVA itself doesn't move the needle much either.

I keep hearing that the Pac12 could pair Arizona,Arizona State, Colorado and Utah in a new East Division by adding some B12 schools maybe Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas. They supposedly aren't interested in schools with a Religious affiliation like Baylor and TCU. I remember JO'Ca saying this is why the Pac12 took Utah over BYU.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scott88

I don't know how A&M will vote officially, but I do know they let their displeasure be known at how this "deal" was worked in secret. I doubt very much Mike Slive would have made this deal but Sankey ain't no Slive so ya get what ya get.
    I doubt I'll be too interested in football by 2025 anyway. With players now being free agents who can move to the highest bidder, it'll be just like the NFL which I couldn't care less about.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

My guess is that the B12 refs this season will not be throwing a flag when a player flashes a “horns down” signal.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1