Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

That link inspired quite a debate on a NDNation forum. Not surprisingly most of it felt like most children should still get the vax even if their risk is low. Reason is that being vaxed helps with the spread and development of new variants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Reports of increasing case numbers are sparking some talk of returning to mask mandates. I doubt if that happens in Texas, although in Harris County where I live I won't be completely shocked if the County Judge and the Mayor of Houston, both Democrats, don't try to reinstate it although I'm not sure if they have the legal right to do it anymore.

90+% of the cases are amongst un-vaccinated individuals. Almost 100% of the hospitalizations are unvaccinated individuals.

The FDA is bound to be close to declaring the mRNA vaccines fully approved, which will remove one of the reasons some give for not getting vaccinated. But personally, I believe that it will just move the excuse on to something else.

3. Terry O'Keefe

I read an article that said only 13 NFL teams have reached the 85% level of vaccination needed to relieve them of some of the restrictions.

I suspect that will be the same all across college football as well. Private Schools like Notre Dame have said you can't return to campus unless you are vaccinated, exceptions are allowed for medical and/or religious reasons. State schools don't have that luxury. I saw where Purdue will not be requiring students or faculty to be vaccinated, which as I said is likely to be pretty common when it comes to State Schools.

To be fair this is Purdue's policy. It's a pretty good one if you don't have a mandatory vaccination policy.

Purdue is asking students to either provide proof of vaccination or submit to regular surveillance testing.

"Get fully vaccinated and successfully submit valid documentation before coming to
    campus this fall. (Students who choose to vaccinate upon arrival to campus may
    utilize our onsite clinic at no charge.) OR
    • Participate in frequent, mandatory surveillance testing. "

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Seems to be the case here (so far) but I read where in the UK (which is having another spike) the majority of the deaths are now in vaccinated individuals. Cases are up but deaths are low, so that is NOT to say that the vaccine isn't protective. It's apparently just that the young feel invincible (which apparently they are) and they spark most of the cases...but those few older and vaccinated individuals who get it account for the largest percentage of deaths. Which leads to the argument (going on since day one but apparently ineffective) that the healthy young should get vaccinated not because they fear the virus themselves, but to help protect the vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

American Academy of Pediatrics came out today and recommended all children over the age of 2 be masked when they return to school.

This fall will no doubt be a conundrum for schools, masks/no masks, social distancing/no social distancing, etc. Esp if numbers continue to go up a bit and new variant that are more contagious develop. No doubt if they op for masks and continued social distancing and such it will irritate many parents and if they don't and kids get it at school they'll be criticized equally.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Here's a list of colleges that require vaccination for in person attendance.

An expanding list of U.S. colleges and universities say students must have received a COVID-19 vaccine before arriving on campus this fall. So far, most of the institutions that have announced the new mandate are private, with schools like Cornell University and Duke University paving the way. Many other universities, public and private, are waiting to determine the legality of such a mandate.

Most colleges already require on-campus students to be vaccinated against viral diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella. Government agencies suggest that schools may similarly require the new COVID-19 shot. But some state lawmakers — and at least two lawsuits — argue that inoculation can't be made mandatory while the vaccines are still categorized as "emergency use only."

Medical exemptions are guaranteed by law in all states, and religious exemptions, which are relatively easy to receive, are permitted by most. To reinforce the mandate, colleges could push unvaccinated students to enroll online instead.

If allowed on campus, unvaccinated students will likely be required to continue asymptomatic testing and could be excluded from activities like studying abroad.

What Colleges Require the COVID-19 Vaccine? | BestColleges

7. Stu Ryckman

3 minute Ivor Cummins Video reviewing a study in the JAMA showing that there IS a detrimental effect on masks worn in children.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

The interesting thing is that those students suing have been under various rules requiring vaccinations in order to attend school since they started kindergarten.

Here's all the vaccinations required by IU to enroll.

Every new student who will be physically present on the Indiana University Bloomington campus and the Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) campus must complete the online Immunization Compliance Form before or during the semester in which they matriculate. Students will provide the information and upload the associated medical documentation identified below on the form, which can be accessed at One.IU.edu. Self-reported dates of immunization are not an acceptable form of documentation.
    1. Students must provide dates of immunizations with medical documentation for the following diseases:
      • measles (requires two immunizations)
      • rubella (German measles, requires two immunizations)
      • mumps (requires two immunizations)
      • tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap)
      • varicella (requires two immunizations)
      • meningitis (one dose of MenACWY (MCV4)) on or after the student’s 16th birthday if aged 21 years old or younger
    2. Immunization for meningitis B (two doses of MenB for students aged 23 years old or younger) is not currently required by state law, but is strongly recommended.
      • Students who submit vaccination dates for MenB must also submit documentation.
      • In the event that MenB becomes a requirement under state law, this vaccination and associated documentation will be required by this policy.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: the Ivor Cummins video. While watching, I wondered, if the amount of CO2 due to wearing a mask increases dramatically for children, wouldn't the same happen for adults? If not, why not?

11. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

R0:
    • Measles: 12-18
    • Mumps: 4-7
    • Rubella: 6-7
    • Polio: 5-7
    • Smallpox: 5-7
    • COVID-19: 2-2.5 (based on the Princess, but also found to be in the range of 1-2)
    • H1N1: 1.46-1.48
    How contagious is COVID-19 compared to other viral diseases?

Isn't it a little disingenuous comparing COVID-19 vaccinations to MMR, Polio, and the like? Compelled vaccinations of COVID-19 are not the same as compelled vaccinations of those. Lowering the bar may be the "correct" thing to do, but there sure doesn't seem to be a full accounting of the data to support that conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stu Ryckman

Kinda wondered the same thing. If you notice the graph the CO2 levels go down with age…but they are still above normal at age 18. I wore a mask for hours on end during my career and never noticed anything. Children’s brains etc are still developing at young ages and may be more affected by such things. I dunno.

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I was thinking bigger facial features on adults would allow more gas flow around the masks, but if CO2 is still elevated at 18, I guess that's out the window.
    Still don't know why they are pushing masks, the effectiveness is fairly worthless.
    Guess it's just a "feel good" crutch...

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I was just in the Cleveland Clinic in Stuart, Fla visiting my father in law three days ago. I asked his nurse if covid cases were increasing in their facility. She told me that in two weeks they had increased from 3 to 41. She said that they keep stats on vaccinated v unvaccinated and at that moment there was one partially vaccinated patient and the rest were unvaccinated. In new Jersey we went from 5 covid ICU patients to 81 as of yesterday. As far as I'm concerned, if you are not vaccinated at this point it's on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

George, did she mention if they are tracking previously infected as well?
    It would be useful to know how well natural immunity is holding up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Now talk around Harris County (Houston) of taking the threat level back up as cases are increasing. But I'm not sure the locals have the legal right to mandate masks or other measures that were in place last year.

I just hope the FDA goes to full approval on the mRNA vaccines sooner rather than later. While I doubt if that will spur a surge in vaccinations, it will probably increase it somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

19. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting that when Trump was President all the media wanted to talk about the border, lot of democrat politicians made trips to see the 'deplorable" inhumane conditions that Trump was responsible for and get their faces on TV. Of course, the conditions are bad down there and you can't deny that, but they've been bad for a long time.

Now it's hardly given much airtime, and democrats for the most part have stopped going there for photo ops to show how bad things still are down there.

20. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

That would be very useful, and is a shame that finding that dataset is so difficult. Everything I've been able to find amounts to hearsay, so take this with a huge dump of salt...all variants besides African and Indian were well-defended by immunity developed through both illness and the various vaccines. The Indian variant appears to successfully evade immunity from illness at a high rate. The Indian variant also appears to evade immunity developed through vaccines at a higher rate when compared to the other variants, but not significantly so.

I reiterate that these are not based on MY reading of any underlying data / reports because I can't find any of the information that specifically addresses these points. I have only been able to find the "reported on" information which could include innate biases and reporting errors.