Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! Correct. Excellent detective work, Terry. Chick Lauck was a DE in the late 60s, after I had graduated. Trevor is a junior OL. My grandson is a sophomore and just hopes to get on the field this coming season. Question: Was this an invitation-only camp? I didn't think it was, which is why I didn't want to make a big deal of his attendance. I do know that he has received interest from D-1 programs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Sid it is an elite invitation only event. Here is what Tom Loy had to say about him.

Class of 2023 Indianapolis (Ind.) Roncalli offensive lineman Trevor Lauck is one of the top in-state prospects. The three-star recruit holds offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky and others. If Notre Dame offers, the Irish will be really difficult to beat.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry. I knew he was going up there, but I didn't realize it was such a big-time event.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish WR Jay Brunelle has entered the transfer portal. He was in the 2019 class, and has zero career receptions. He's had injury problems for his whole time at ND and didn't figure to play much if at all in 2021 based on his Spring. Still it leaves us with only 9 scholarship WR's. I read an article on Irish Sports Daily that speculated that even though he wasn't likely to contribute much on the field having WR's for practice is also important and if there are injuries you can quickly get into trouble. The solution for the Irish this season will be their depth at TE, so likely we'll see more of 2 TE sets.

I always hate to see a kid leave, but the Transfer Portal is a way of life these days. There are over a thousand kids in the Portal the last time I read a number and most of them will not be offered a scholarship anywhere.

He's the 3rd WR to leave this Spring/Summer. Good luck to him.

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I hate the transfer portal. First sign of a headwind and these kids are bailing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish have a young track star on the cusp of a NCAA Championship.

Yared Nuguse continued his season of record-breaking performances, finishing with the fastest NCAA Championships semifinal time ever in the 1,500m with a mark of 3:37.36 to qualify first for Friday’s final. The qualification for the final earns Nuguse another First Team All-America honor.

The 1,500m final is set to start at 8:11 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 11 and will air live on ESPN2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Irish held a big recruiting weekend (as did most other Div 1 schools). No verbals came out of the weekend and as always lots of positive reviews by the recruiting sites, we shall see. We did lose a battle for a Grad Transfer DB from Tulsa who decided to follow his coach to Missouri.

On the T&F front. Notre Dame's Yared Nuguse who holds the NCAA record in the 1500M was beaten in the final by Oregon's Cole Hocker.

EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon freshman Cole Hocker won the 1,500 on Friday at the NCAA track and field championships, and LSU took the men's team title.

Hocker bested collegiate record holder and defending champion Yared Nuguse of Notre Dame with a finish in 3 minutes, 35.35 seconds at his home stadium at Oregon's Hayward Field.

"Coming onto the last 150, I heard all the fans in Hayward just erupt and it gave me so much adrenaline," Hocker said.

The showdown between Hocker and Nuguse was one of the most anticipated races of the meet. Hocker then finished fourth in the 5,000.

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Hocker is a Cathedral HS Indy graduate and the son of a former HS baseball player coached by a friend of mine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Link Jarrett on the team for next year. Interesting comments on the MLB draft and elimination of the Short Season A ball and it's impact.

On roster for next season:
    "Some of the guys have options to come back here. Part of that involves getting into the right grad school program here. They have to graduate in four years from Notre Dame. It's not like that at most schools. That's a requirement here in athletics and our guys do it. That gives us some flexibility.

"We can't take everyone back because there will be a roster limitation of 40 people next year. This year, the NCAA allowed unlimited players on the team, rightfully so. They're trying to phase this back to what you're normal 35-man roster is.

"You start to look at the draft. It's very unpredictable. I told the team last night they'll never figure it out. Some of the guys that are seniors or draft-eligible juniors have that looming.

"The draft is so much later this year - it's in mid-July. Normally the draft would have already come and gone. When you don't know those things until mid-July as opposed to the first week in June, it makes the roster piece that much more complicated.

"I feel it's going to remain this way. I think the draft will stay at this point. I think they're going to do away with the short season low A-ball type professional teams and have more combines and workouts leading up to the draft.

"This will be the first time any of us will experience any of that dynamic. It affects your recruits and your current players on the team right now. There's no way to even know the pieces of the puzzle today if you want to look to next year.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

11. Terry O'Keefe

The attendance at the MSU/ND series set a NCAA record for a 3 game series, over 40K fans.

12. Terry O'Keefe

One of Link Jarrett's recruits...will be a couple of years before he makes it to ND though.

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Must be New Castle, PA.

• Agree Agree x 1