GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Watching the Women's US OPEN. Lexi Thompson had a 5 shot lead at one point, but is backing up hole by hole, flat stick and wayward drives are the problem.

2. Terry O'Keefe

This is painful to watch, the missed par putt on 17 was just awful. Her lead is gone.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Collapse is complete, horrible 2nd shot into the front bunker, followed by a bunker shot that leaves her a 10 footer downhill that she doesn't even get to the hole.

I feel bad for her, she doesn't even get into the playoff. This is going to hurt for quite a while.

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

That was painful to watch

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Cantalay wins the Memorial in a playoff. Rahm could have shot 76 and won by a stroke had he been able to play yesterday.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the big money winners have been vaccinated?

7. Terry O'Keefe

Tour said "north" of 50% of the players are vaccinated. That's a pretty imprecise amount, I mean what is north of 50%?

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Beats meo_O

• Like Like x 1
  9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Wonder how many got vaccinated today

10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

I've been vaccinated Gip....I just cant get through Q school.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Question on a golf rule for you experts. I play golf but we are more concerned with having fun than reading the rule book. But I was always under the impression that you cannot ground your club in a bunker before your actual swing.
    Yesterday I watched Dustin Johnson from a fairway bunker take four practice swings were he scattered sand with each one. Then he addressed the ball and clearly grounded his club behind the prior to his swing. Did the rules change?

12. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know how he wasn't penalized.

Golf's New Rules: Major Changes

New Rule: Under Rules 12.2a and 12.2b, the player is allowed to touch or move loose impediments in a bunker and is generally allowed to touch the sand with a hand or club; but a limited prohibition continues so that the player must not:

• Deliberately touch the sand in a bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the stroke, or
    • Touch the sand in a bunker with a club in making a practice swing, in grounding the club right in front of or behind the ball, or in making the backswing for a stroke.

Reasons for Change:

The challenge of playing from a bunker is the need to play out of the sand, not to play with leaves, stones or other loose impediments left in place in the bunker.

The previous approach created confusion by stating a total prohibition on touching the sand with a hand or club and then recognizing many exceptions.

The revised Rule simplifies this by prohibiting only those acts where there is a purpose for doing so under the Rules:

• Deliberately testing the condition of the sand with a hand or club continues to be prohibited because part of the player’s challenge is to assess and predict how the sand may affect the stroke, and also because it is time consuming and inappropriate for players to dig in the sand with a hand or club for that purpose before every shot.
    • Touching the sand with the club right in front of or behind the ball or in the backswing for the stroke continues to be prohibited to make sure the player does nothing to reduce the challenge of playing from the sand; these prohibitions are already well known and followed by almost all players.
    • Touching the sand with a club in taking a practice swing continues to be prohibited both for pace of play and to avoid having large amounts of sand deposited outside bunkers (especially greenside bunkers) as a result of repeated practice swings.

USGA PARTNERS

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I haven't been watching the tournament. Is it possibly a waste area rather than a bunker. Players are allowed to ground their clubs in a waste area.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

The entire course at this years PGA champ was played that way.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Johnny Golf????

Johnny Golf doesn't lose many balls. He plays in the desert: dry air, wide fairways, few hazards. He can make every birdie putt. Wanna bet? Plunk! Johnny wins, and he’d like to see the Benjamin, now. He pulls a beer out of his bag—he’s chugging, not sipping—then on to the next birdie. You see, when Johnny Golf lines up a shot, there’s this feeling in his hands. It’s the same one he felt in a helmet and pads—the rush of third and fifteen, when he saw the fingertips of a wide receiver from thirty yards away. Back then, he was Johnny Football, depressed and angry. That guy is gone.

Johnny Manziel Interview About Pro Golf Career, Leaving Football Behind, and Moving to Arizona

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think that being a professional golfer will take a tremendous amount of self discipline. I don't think Manziel has never displayed much self discipline. Maybe he has changed but there are a lot of guys who have worked very hard for many years to get to and stay on the tour and they can't. There are also a lot of guys who shoot in the low 70's at the country club on Tuesdays.

17. Terry O'Keefe

You have that right, not to mention shooting in the low 70's won't get you anywhere even on the mini tours much less the PGA Tour. I think of guys like Steph Curry who are good golfers and got sponsor's exemptions to Korn Ferry events and never made a cut and barely broke 80.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Lots of articles on Phils prep for the US Open.

He is a three-time winner of the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines, though to call it a home-field advantage can be misleading. It has been 20 years since Mickelson last hoisted a trophy at Torrey Pines, right before Rees Jones — known as the “Open Doctor” — overhauled the South Course with hopes the municipal course could host a U.S. Open.

Since then, Mickelson has missed the cut as often as he finished in the top 10 — five each — and he has rarely contended.

How much of that was the redesign? How much was attitude? Hard to tell. Mickelson has never lacked for enthusiasm — how else to explain how he has gone a record 30 years between PGA Tour victories? — though even he has questioned his effort at Torrey.

He grew up in San Diego and still lives here, but Torrey wasn’t his primary course as a junior and he never comes to Torrey except for the week of the PGA Tour event in January. That changed last week. Mickelson typically likes to play the week before a major. This time, he took two weeks off for a crash course.

Mickelson at home and running out of time for US Open title

19. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Phil pill!!....Old man Mickelson and his coffee enema diet will be on the 1st page of the leaderboard COB Thurs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Did you guys see the article about the fight at the Korn Ferry Monday qualifier? It's pretty funny, it was over one of the players not helping look for lost golf balls when they as a group were on the clock, one guy confronted the guy who wouldn't help and a fight broke out. The guy who wouldn't help threw the first punch and was arrested. He's a college player from a school in Tenn.

Golf grappler: Man arrested after on-course attack

I've seen a couple of near fights in my years of golfing. Usually over somebody hitting into a group in front of them.