Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

So what I am reading and hearing is that there is no sound non-medical excuse to avoid getting your Covid vaccine. If your head is stuck in some crazy fantasy conspiracy cloud or you have a political reason of any kind not to get the shot then I have zero sympathy if you do get it and get sick from it.
    And those that fall in this category are seriously irresponsible to their fellow Americans.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of folks with sincere concerns. I don’t think they have their heads stuck up there asses but have been misled by those that do. We absolutely have to stop politicizing and quit throwing rocks and work together to educate folks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Dave,

Why did the chicken cross the road to get the Covid Vaccination?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

As we all know any vaccine or medication can have severe consequences. No possible way to have a 100% side effect free medication. Here are the current stats on deaths post vaccine. Obviously not all deaths after the vaccine are the result of the vaccine.

Reports of death after COVID-19 vaccination
    CDC uses the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) to closely monitor reports of death following COVID-19 vaccination.

• FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS.
    • Reports to VAERS of death following vaccination do not necessarily mean the vaccine caused the death.
    • CDC follows up on any report of death to request additional information to learn more about what occurred and to determine whether the death was a result of the vaccine or was unrelated.
    • CDC, FDA, and other federal agencies will continue to monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines.
    Over 245 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through May 3, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 4,178 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA physicians review each case report of death as soon as notified and CDC requests medical records to further assess reports. A review of available clinical information, including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records has not established a causal link to COVID-19 vaccines. However, recent reports indicate a plausible causal relationship between the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine and a rare and serious adverse event—blood clots with low platelets—which has caused deaths. Get the latest safety information on the J&J/Janssen vaccine. CDC and FDA will continue to investigate reports of adverse events, including deaths, reported to VAERS.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

When the vaccines first started to be given, the largest group initially were those of advanced age. The fact that there were deaths reported after the vaccine had been given are probably within the estimated range of deaths that occur at those ages.
    Meanwhile I keep seen reports of reluctance to get vaccinated among the African American community. In Detroit for instance only 1/3 of adults have been vaccinated. Yet, we're being told that the unvaccinated are mostly Republicans So those same liars who had Hillary winning in a landslide are once again leading the gullible around by the nose. Some things never change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

The narrative on minorities is always lack of access to the vaccine. I don't know if it's true or not, here in Houston the vaccine is everywhere, now when I say that I don't know if you live in the 4th Ward a historical Black community if those folks have it in a convenient location or not. Which is why I'm all for mobile vaccine clinics, put it on a bus and drive it to the neighborhood. Since we have a significant population of those who don't trust it, don't want it, whatever, I'm not shocked that the minority community follows that stat as well.

In other news...good news for those who have taken the vaccine.

Both studies compare coronavirus infection rates among vaccinated and unvaccinated people who work at a single medical center. And in both cases, being vaccinated was indeed associated with a significantly lower risk of testing positive for an infection.

Hospital employees make good study subjects because they were among the very first people to get access to COVID-19 vaccines. That means they have a longer track record to mine when it comes to assessing the performance of the shots.

Another upside: Many hospitals routinely screen their workers for coronavirus infections. That makes it possible to identify people who seem perfectly healthy but harbor the SARS-CoV-2 virus in their system — and have the potential to spread it to others.

Unlike in a clinical trial, the hospital workers in these two studies decided for themselves whether to get the COVID-19 vaccine or not. There was nothing random about it.

That means that if coronavirus infection rates are different for vaccinated and unvaccinated workers, it might be due to factors other than the vaccine itself. Perhaps the people who made a point of getting the shots were also more likely to wear face masks, wash their hands thoroughly, or take other actions to avoid getting sick.

Studies of hospital workers suggest COVID-19 vaccines prevent coronavirus infections

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Just got back from our neighborhood WalMart... The pharmacy is giving vaccinations for no charge. Access is not an issue any more.
    I live in a very integrated town. Prob 30+ percent black. I've noticed that they seem to wear masks almost all the time in public.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Pfzer is applying for Full FDA approval for it's vaccine. I don't know how long the process will take but if approved that will be one thing eliminated from the reasons given for not getting the vaccine.

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I would think the plummeting positives and transmission and death rates would be all the proof anyone would need.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I’ll be the black sheep in this continuing discussion and yeah I agree with you George, the lower transmission rates speak volumes in vaccinations. Unless you already had the the virus which magically for 12-14 months we never hear about those who have had the virus and continued on, sorry it just doesn’t fit the narrative that’s been thrown at us. Unless my Junior High science teacher was lying to me immunity at some level is achieved. For how long is evidently another none narrative that must be currently discussed in govt think tanks for years to come. That being said I just read a wonderful article that by some incredible feat the flu will be making a strong comeback next winter and we need to prepare for it even though it totally vanished this season...

Agendas, sound bytes and narratives are what I see... Get the vaccination if you haven’t had the virus, it’s a no brainer. I’m sorry but I feel zero patriotic duty in this, sorry but lmao at such a controlling thought. My goal is not to be a scoundrel as Samuel Johnson saw patriotism

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

While I don't think there is any "scientific" proof about the decline in the flu this year, it's seems to me that mask wearing, lots of handwashing and people staying home are the most logical reason the flu didn't get going this year. It didn't go away, and I would expect that as things return to normal so will the impact of the flu.

I'd be fine if those who have had Covid decided that they didn't want the vax, even though I disagree with everything Ralph says. But that still leaves a whole lot of people that should get vaxed. Teenagers are now becoming eligible and I hope most parents decide to have their eligible children vaxed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

On another front the Astros have reached 85% vaccination level for the players and club personnel so restrictions are being relaxed for them. No masks in dugout, leave hotel on the road, and others. I think there are a number of other MLB teams who are also at 85.

I know at ND the whole campus was offered the vax more than a month ago, and they will be required to be vaccinated in order to return to campus in the fall. No reports were made as to what % of the students accepted the vaccination. No reports on the numbers for football players or other athletes such as baseball, softball, golf, and the other Spring Sports. I know Kelly encouraged all the players to get the vaccine and they were provided with lots of information.

edit: I found an article and it said that as of 4-15 90% of the Campus is either fully vaccinated or has received their 1st shot. Seems like they will be close to 100% by the time the students leave for the summer.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  13. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I support Ralph's concerns in terms of getting a vaccine when he's already had the infection. But I think a thoughtful discussion and continuing to look at infection data as it comes out is helpful...but it is not helpful to talk of agendas, narratives, and "controlling." Some of that may be going on but I think that most of those who are urging the vaccine are sincere and doing their best to analyze the data as it develops.

Though I completely understand his point, which may be absolutely correct in terms of those who have been infected not needing the vaccine, I have urged my two sons who have been infected to go ahead and get the vaccine based on the scientific statements and papers that I have read. Maybe I am being "controlled." :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Personal Observation on Mask wearing. It's starting to slip some in the area that I live. Virtually all businesses have a sign that outlines their covid protocol and it of course says you must wear a mask when entering. I've noticed a few in the grocery store without a mask and they weren't asked to mask up or leave. At Mass I've been going in person for about 6 weeks now, and when I first started nearly 100% in the church were masked, it's slipped and I'd guess that is down to 85% now. At my golf course you are supposed to be masked to enter the restaurant and the pro shop, I see some not wearing a mask inside and nobody asks them to mask up or leave.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I've had pretty much the same experience as you regarding mask/no mask in public places.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

In the county where we live in Florida just under 70% have received at least one dose and just over 60% are fully vaccinated. I suspect that because The Villages is a large portion of the county that the rates are even higher here. Life has returned to almost normal here although mask wearing still occurs when people go into stores. Employees also are still wearing masks but in the evening our square is crowded with people enjoying the music, dancing and going to restaurants all without wearing masks. Folks have been or are planning to go north to see family especially grandkids. Almost back to normal.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Watching the Golf Tournament in Charlotte yesterday, that Rory McElroy won. Hard not to notice that mostly the fans were unmasked. Of course things have changed a lot for the players as well, this time last year of course they weren't playing, and when they did go back they did a fair job of social distancing and no handshakes or other stuff. Now they pretty much play like things are normal, handshakes, hugs, etc.

Even noticed the girl who does the interviews who previously was masked along with the player being interviewed and they were at least 6 feet apart. Now neither wear a mask and they were normal distance ..about 3 feet.

18. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

A lot of businesses here have switched to a "Masks are recommended" sign, or taken them down completely.
    I only wear one when required...

19. Terry O'Keefe

I imagine that will start to be a trend here in Houston eventually. I think it's going to be interesting when Biden comes out for the 4th of July and recommends against the Mask Mandate. Here in Houston both the County Judge and Mayor went nuts (my take) over Abbott lifting the Mask Mandate, which is why I think I haven't seen the Mask recommended signs, just the lack of enforcement. It wasn't that long ago that HEB had off duty Sherriff's deputy's or HPD cops at the entrance to their stores and you weren't getting in without a mask.

I still wear a mask everywhere inside, it's just not a big deal to me and I don't really want to stress out people who are passionate about it or some poor clerk who feels he/she needs to say something.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Even Fauci is for more liberal mask mandate.

However, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and chief medical adviser to President Biden, said Sunday on ABC’s "This Week" he believes Gottlieb is correct in saying the country could see a shift in indoor mask guidance, and the guidance should be more "liberal" as the vaccination drive continues.

"No I think so, I think you’re going to probably see that as we go along and as more people get vaccinated," Fauci told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. "The CDC will be, almost in real-time George, updating their recommendations and their guidelines. We do need to start being more liberal as we get more people vaccinated."

"As you get more people vaccinated, the number of cases per day will absolutely go down. We’re averaging about 43,000 a day, we’ve got to get it much, much lower than that. When that gets lower, the risk of any infection indoor or outdoor diminishes dramatically," he said.