Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

This is so cool, the UChicago has designed "nanotraps" to treat Covid

Researchers at the University of Chicago have designed a completely novel potential treatment for COVID-19: nanoparticles that capture SARS-CoV-2 viruses within the body and then use the body’s own immune system to destroy them.

These “nanotraps” attract the virus by mimicking the target cells the virus infects. When the virus binds to the nanotraps, the traps then sequester the virus from other cells and target it for destruction by the immune system.

In theory, these nanotraps could also be used on variants of the virus, leading to a potential new way to inhibit the virus going forward. Though the therapy remains in early stages of testing, the researchers envision it could be administered via a nasal spray as a treatment for

19. UChicago scientists design ‘nanotraps’ to catch and clear coronavirus from tissue

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

As to masks, when I wear one my blood pressure and heart rate increase so I have to be careful.

We both got the vaccine. However our longest term friends in Florida are the ones that tipped us that we could go ahead and get in line. Which we did, and both of them got their shots before us. The a few days ago she got covid and is now in the hospital. She has a number of underlying conditions and we have been very concerned. But as of this moment it does look like she will recover.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend, Bill. I hope she recovers and does not have any after effects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Sorry to hear about your friend Bill, I hope for the best and a recovery.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Looks like she may go home tomorrow. Her husband believes that the vaccine lessened the effect.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

That is what the scientists have said, the vax doesn't guarantee you won't get it but the data implies that if you do you will likely have a much milder case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

They are who most of us who go to a doctor consider the most relatable to us, sorry but doctors have done their best in my lifetime to segregate away from the common folk, nurses bring the humanity. So why in what seems a crazy high incidence do nurses the sergeants in the field seem to avoid the vaccine. Is it their young age and future child birthing years, maybe what they’ve overheard or just an abundance of caution I don’t know. But I’ve heard this many times already so it’s no surprise at this point, it’s a reality from those who are actually giving the vaccination, what’s the total explaination I cannot answer

8. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Terry as one who has had the Covid virus I would never in my wildest dreams consider taking the flu vaccine if I’ve already encountered it, why should I take a Covid shot, we both know without a shadow of doubt the research is ongoing on its immunity. But I digress, there simply isn’t flu at this time, it’s been appropriated to another shelve, imagine what that means in millions of dollars or has been as whatever anchorman describes the deadly flu season. Pssst, I wonder where that money has gone to and yeah this makes me me a danger to the State and a target of big pharmaceutical.

FWIW, I had Covid May 2020, my wife never showed a symptom, even though we shared the same bed, as I had 5-7 days of fever, body ache and it was gone for me. Fast forward to March 2021, we both had identical symptoms of a day of fever, body ache, exactly like Covid and it was gone, we both feel it was another experience with the Covid virus, but it’s anecdotal

9. Terry O'Keefe

Ralph it's a small % of nurses, not the majority of them and I while I don't know I doubt if it is only "young" nurses of child bearing age.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ralph, my daughter is a nurse. She and her fellow nurses got the vaccine. I agree with Terry. It's a small % of the profession. I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm sure you have yours. There are anti-vaxers and there are folks like you and others who have legitimate concerns. I just hope there ultimately are enough people who choose to get the vaccine to enable the country to achieve a level of comfort that we have reigned in - maybe even defeated - this scourge and its variants.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

My wife and I just agreed that if we as a nation cannot achieve herd immunity enough through vaccinations to stop Covid then we hope all those without health concerns who refuse to get a vaccine do get Covid themselves because that is the only other way for us to get to herd immunity.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My wife and I hope that all those infected illegals who are crossing the open border relocate in neighborhoods of those who voted for the American haters who are leading this country.

14. Terry O'Keefe

I can't go there, I do wish more would get the vaccine and I'm all for incentives at this point. They are offering some incentives in Houston, but to me offering free tickets to events isn't that much of a incentive. I don't know what it would take, $100? 200$, who is going to pay for it and will it cause resentment from those who did it before? Maybe they need vaccine mobile clinics, take it to the neighborhoods, in Houston they are doing it at NRG stadium. Not exactly convenient for most people so why not take it to their neighborhoods. Weekend walkup clinics, something like that.

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

What we need is a little more trust in science...and all of the politicization of it from both sides is causing much disinformation and distress.

People need incentive to get the vaccine...they need to feel that they can get back to normal after they get it. The administration is not helping by continuing to wear masks outside and putting all the restrictions on the joint session of congress even though they are all vaccinated. All this "trust the science" stuff and now they won't trust their own CDC guidelines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry, Houston must be a LOT different that DFW.

We can get it at a lot of places spread all around. As a matter of fact while I was getting #2 this morning they asked us to tell anyone who's interested that they have slowed down enough they can now take walk-ins. So basically... if you want it you get it today.

17. Terry O'Keefe

We have good availability here in Houston, but they are publizing NRG a lot and making it the focus. Pharmacies have it and if you want to get started on the vax you don't have any problems. I'm just thinking about instead of sitting back and waiting that they start a community out reach where the mobile Clinic is scheduled to be at Ponderosa Forrest Rec Center Fri/Sat/Sun or at community places in the minority area's. The no appointment needed, show up, etc at NRG is great but unless you live in that area it's not that attractive to drive across town esp if you're not exactly eager to get the Vax.

I think this country has pretty much run through all the people who were eager to get the vax and didn't ask any questions or worry about stuff like it's going to re-write your DNA, and other myths ...just give me the shot. Need to figure out ways to motivate those people who are just too damn lazy to go and get vaccinated, and try to work on educating those who think it's "unproven" technology and could have long term side effects. I commented in another post about the polio vaccines (Salk and Sabin) there wasn't any resistance to those and they didn't have "long term" data either. It did take them longer to develop but that was the late 40's early 50's...not 2020. There are a lot of things that we can get to market much faster now with all the technology.

18. Scott88

Polio wasn't really a good comparison if you ask me.
    The possible outcomes were much different, and it wasn't a cold virus.
    You also didn't have the same forces Stu is talking about stirring the pot in all directions.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Compare the polio during the early 50's to the current Pandemic.

1. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1950 and 1953 there were approximately 119,000 cases of paralytic polio in the United States and 6,600 deaths. Polio, a highly contagious virus, affected people differently.

2. Covid is less time, has had over 30M cases and over 500K deaths.

Granted the pictures of kids in iron lungs in the '50's was pretty sad and I'm sure parents back then were scared to death for their children and as you noted the climate was completely different.

20. Scott88

Ummm, even as understated as the numbers you put up are (way more than 30 million cases here) the death rates are starkly different.
    Polio is 0.055, while Covid is .016 and again... that is overstated since they aren't counting all the cases that were NOT confirmed.
    I'm not arguing against vaccination... I'm onboard.
    I'm just saying polio in the 50's wasn't a good compare.