Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

$5 says he doesnt wear one on Weds nite.

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Well let's take another micro sample of Dave's claim....I'll go first. I'm a registered Republican, and I've had 2 moderna shots.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Not a "claim" AJ.... a poll result.

All of you ask a question of yourselves about exactly who it is that you know that has no medical reason to avoid the vaccine.... but who says they will not get it. How many Republicans vs. Democrats do you know who say they won't get the shots.

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Both me and my wife Jeanne are Republicans and we have had the two moderna shots. We were enlightened about how to get in line by a Republican who has had the shots. We led several other people here in our community to get the shots. Some of them were Republicans and part Democrats. I have no idea about some of the others and don't care.

Polls are no better than the people who run them and frankly I don't buy MCG''s propaganda.

And I am getting very tired of his constant badgering. In my opinion MCG adds nothing to this forum except to try and antagonize. His threats to get away from us unenlightened rabble always ends with him coming back to see what he can stir up.

As far as I am concerned he has two strikes and the third strike in baseball means??????

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Motorcity Gator

Great that you have led the way in your community Bill..... you have shown responsibility and concern for your fellow Americans.
    I think that if vaccine hesitancy causes the virus to stick around longer and possibly mutate into variants that kill and sicken more people then that is tragic.
    Especially tragic to me if even one more young person or child is sickened or dies from Covid then it is inexcusably tragic. I wouldn't want to be the parent of that child...... you wouldn't want to know what I thought of those adults who are vaccine hesitant then.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Here in Houston and in most of Texas I assume the whole get a shot is now wide open. If you want the vaccine it's is really easy. Last weekend Harris County held an open vaccination clinic at NRG stadium. Just show up and get your vaccine. Of course there is still that resistance bugaboo that I don't understand, esp if you are in a minority. There was a lot of criticism that minorities were getting left behind in terms of vaccination, yet now that you can get it almost anywhere and don't have to prove anything even citizenship they still lag behind.

I don't pretend to understand the rationale, and I'm 100% certain that it has nothing to do with political parties or the former president. I can think of no GOP leader, even the former President who has come out and said people shouldn't be vaccinated that it's too risky. I would wager that the leadership of the GOP and probably close to 100% of the GOP members of Congress and the Senate along with GOP Governors are all vaccinated.

What I do read that is that most of these people don't like that it was 1) developed quickly 2) is not fully FDA approved (Emergency Use Authorization) 3) Don't know the long term effects (if any) 4) feel like Covid is becoming less of a threat in the US.

The thing that baffles me and it doesn't get enough press is that the mRNA technology that is the core of the vaccine is not new, it's been used for a number of years in other area's such as cancer research. The CDC, the US Govt, the State Govt, the local govts need to do a better job of education on the safety of the vaccines. More TV spots, more endorsements by all sorts of people whose opinions they might respect, I don't know who those people are but find out.

There are starting to be employers who are going to require vaccine for you to return to work or to continue to work. A large Houston Hospital System is going that route, they gave them till June 7th to get going or be fired. Naturally it caused a stir amongst those employees who have not gotten the vaccine, although they report 88% of their employees are vaccinated. They want to get close to 100%.

7. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

First I’ll put the disclaimer out there, if you have had the vaccination I hope it brings peace. I give zero thought if the GOP or Democratic Party has been fully vaccinated, I’ll add they are always working an agenda not much different and what they do is a bug hitting the windshield, it has zero effect in the real world honestly.

$250 million has been set aside to push the vaccination and guess what we are now seeing commercials expounding it’s importance.

As far as requirements to have it to be employed stop and think on this, so govt mandates pushing a vaccination is now affecting private businesses saying get the shot or be fired on certain businesses stop and really think on this and what our Bill of Rights says. First unless you are clueless labor is non existent, $575 a week for free tends to knock down the desire to get a job, another different topic together. Regardless the joy of getting older is having the funds that companies desire, it’s here do you want it. But jumping through your hoops isn’t going to happen, get accustomed to it

No long term research over 12 months, zero idea on its effect on pregnancy, zero thoughts on those with auto immune issues. Get the shot if it brings you peace and possibly safety, I might. Even though I could care less what or how others would want to judge me until I fit their perimeters, this is definitely not a village mindset

It’s definitely a genetic thing with me as I enjoy reading many businesses say come spend money at our Sports bar, restaurant or store but we prefer those who haven’t been vaccinated because we are not going to judge our fellow humans or go along with the idea of the woke crowd. Especially if the vaccination is 95% effective

• Like Like x 1
  8. Motorcity Gator

I personally know three people who formerly did not believe in the "hoax" of Covid.... who got really sick and suddenly they are now believers.

That stubborn learning process only helps Covid..... and hurts the rest of us.

9. RECcane

Dave it’s no hoax, researchers are now saying how big a mistake it is to push humanity into mask as it degrades the natural immunity process we have used for eons. We are setting us up for a future train wreck as we over think the natural process. Did you not read I’ve had the virus, was I not clear enough. Or possibly you are tagging along the agenda that we don’t really speak about those who have had the virus or are a-symptomatic as it doesn’t fit the narrative. Maybe the fear narrative is best as it sells news

Please explain narrative and stubbornness

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  10. Motorcity Gator

My comments were not directed at you Ralph.... just an anecdotal statement about some of the people I know.... that have had Covid and didn't fare so well and let that highly negative experience convince them it was a real pandemic when otherwise.... for whatever reason they did not believe it was anything serious and was more of a hoax and a Democratic bugaboo than a real problem.

Some of those same people or ones like them are the ones who will not get the vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

The main thing I notice is that Ralph gave his reasons, none of which were he was influenced by Trump or any politician. Now I don't agree with Ralph, but I respect him.

We aren't ever likely to get to 100% and that's not even necessary. People don't get the flu vaccine because some think that it gives them the flu. Some don't even want to vax their children out of various fears even though the vaccines, some of which have been around for 50 years. I'm going to guess many if not all of those parents who withhold the vaccines from their children had the vaccines themselves with no side effects.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

On mask wearing and it's impact on health.

This is strictly anecdotal, but I and pretty much all dentists have been wearing masks all day for the last 30 years, since the AIDS crisis caused OSHA to issue new mandates for dentists. I am unaware of any dentist or dental hygienist who developed health issues that are related to their mask wear all day at the office. We weren't wearing N95 masks but we were wearing surgical masks. I would guess that in an 8 hour day at the office I would have a mask on for a min of 6 hours, we didn't wear them at lunch or if you didn't have a patient in the chair. I don't know how many hours a day a typical person has a mask on, if they work in a grocery store then they likely have one on all day like a dentist would, same for other retail employees. I can definitely say that N95 masks were definitely more difficult because they restricted air flow. I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me, I've adapted.

Those who are working from home, are not working and have jobs where full time mask wear isn't required due to the working conditions definitely wear them less than a dentist or dental hygienist would.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I can't see what Senor Dipstick is saying, but I'm totally on board with Ralph. For the record, I'm in the process of getting the vaccine. I would encourage others to get it, but totally respect each person's right to choose. They have their reasons. Some are logical and supported, some are not, but each have their own and that should be enough.
    The "greater good" is NOT enough to remove someone's rights.
    If you go down that road... you never come back.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

A. I believe that the vaccine is safe and I am damn glad I got it.

B. I agree with Scott and Ralph that at least for now, nobody's right to decide not to get it should be trampled upon. My opinion on that could change if the COVID problem gets more severe (see; India) and if the vaccine over time is more proven and becomes officially FDA approved rather than just EUA released (see; measles vaccines).

C. Sometimes the greater good IS enough to remove someone's individual rights...we do this all the time while living together in a society. Examples abound. The debate comes over those who feel more strongly about our rights vs. those who care more about the "greater good". Swinging too far in either direction IMHO is bad. The devil is in the details.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Speaking of India...for your perusal;

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

This is the right way to deal with Dave. Just ignore him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. RECcane

Not to go on about the vaccines as I'm sure we will eventually get ours. I really have no tie to a particular party on the mindset of a vaccine.

I just want it understood there are those who for inherent health issues or future children that the long term data just isn't out there. No blame, how can it be this soon but the woke culture is always looking for prey.

I recently had an investor fly into Costa Rica, then fly to our location. He has his first shot, this is not available in Milan Italy

Maybe I need to take notice of the availability if I have half a brain to realize it

18. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder how the Polio Vaccine would have been received in todays climate?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Motorcity Gator

Makes you wonder..... that's what my wife the RN has to say about the hesitancy.

Polio.... small pox..... very serious diseases eradicated by vaccines.

Good thing the population wasn't so tainted by political media and those with personal aspirations that clashed with critical public health measures like vaccines.

20. Terry O'Keefe

There has been increasing resistance to vaccinations for awhile that has nothing to do with political climate and in fact many of those "anti-vaxers" are highly educated upper middle class who have unwarranted fear of autism. No amount of science can change their minds.

Also here in Houston when Methodist Hospital group said employees must be vaccinated or lose their jobs a number of RN's came out and said the vaccine was developed too fast, that there isn't long term data and they don't want it..and these are RN's who have to work with Covid patients. Granted it's likely that they are a minority in the RN population, but still.