Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

10,000 new cases in Texas today.... a record for that state.

Trump was on TV just now saying people who don't want schools to open only feel that way because they are being politically opposed to him.
    WTF..... I give up.

With new case rates running as high as they are the new model for total deaths is over 200,000.... and these high new infection rates will cancel college football for sure. And Trump still is more concerned about the politics.... consumed by it. Only a mass participation in following restrictive social guidelines like mask wearing and social distancing will give CFB half a chance but Trump doesn't care to play that strategy.... as evidenced by his schools comments today.

He is obviously not a college football fan as many New Yorkers are not by nature.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Motorcity Gator

I keep hearing Trump, Pence and DeSantis talk about the curve being flattened etc. etc.
    Here is that flat curve for new cases in Florida:
    Fact-checking Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' claims that coronavirus cases have stabilized in his state - CNNPolitics
    It's about a 65 degree angle upwards in the past 10 days or so. It's just puzzling as hell how divergent the takes are on Covid-19 by the GOP vs. the Dems.
    Why is DeSantis able to justify saying the curve is flattened when it is actually skyrocketing.
    Puzzling indeed.

3. Motorcity Gator

If you have kids you know why this statement by Trump is so self centered:

"We hope that most schools are going to be open," Trump said at a White House event on reopening schools safely. "We don't want people to make political statements or do it for political reasons. They think it's going to be good for them politically, so they keep the schools closed," he alleged. "No way."

To parents who love their children the question of schools being open or ok to open is purely about health and safety. I'm thinking Trump was never loved as a child.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

No one is going to force kids to go to school. If a parent despite all the medical evidence thinks that going to school is too dangerous for their child, they can keep them home. However if parents think that it's safe for their kids to return to school they should have the opportunity to have their kids get educated. Every person who is deciding to keep the schools closed is getting paid every week by the taxpayers. Of their sorry wallet was in jeopardy, they'd be singing a different tune.

5. Motorcity Gator

I cannot imagine one parent, teacher, school administrator or local political leader in any state that actually comes close to what Trump is describing:

"We're very much going to put pressure on governors and everybody else to open the schools, to get them open," the President said. "We don't want people to make political statements or do it for political reasons. They think it's going to be good for them politically, so they keep the schools closed."

He is such an uncaring asshole. He will never get the impact of this virus with his delusions and self centered thinking.

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Do you have loathing and twitching? Are you having restless nights? Do you find yourself hyperventilating when you accidentally turn on FOX news?
    If so, then you have TrumpNov3rd derangement syndrome. That's the bad news, the good news is there's a cure! No pill, no shots, no ointments! All you have to do is wanna Make America Great Again.

7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

8. Motorcity Gator

I can imagine a health centered debate about a school reopening plan but I cannot imagine or I am not delusionaly paranoid about evil political strategies designed to keep schools closed if the health community has deemed it better and safe for the kids to reopen.
    But Trump obviously can only imagine there is no health debate and it's all a political plot if schools don't reopen the way he would like.
    He has been delusional about the impact of this virus from the start and continues to be that way and as a result he as president of the United States has only harmed efforts by the medical community to reduce transmission with his poor leadership.

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Would it be too much to ask for specific examples of Trump's poor leadership in the pandemic crisis?

10. Motorcity Gator

Misleading or sometimes flat out false statements about the threat of the virus and status of the virus with regard to transmission, refusal to wear a mask and set a good national example by doing so, making everything political therefore discouraging his supporters from social distancing and wearing masks, holding political rallies where almost all attendees are following his lead with no masks and crowded together, insisting that he can get a guarantee from Charlotte that he can get a packed arena in August with no mask or social distancing mandates, dividing the country politically every chance he gets to energize his base about his crazy ideas that have nothing to do with fighting the pandemic which is most likely now going to screw us out of a college football season.... and that pisses me off more than anything.... that his lack of leadership in helping Americans to behave safely in ways that reduce rather than encourage new infections and the result of that is no college football!
    Not to mention having stay at home and not do the things I like to do.... for months on end and it looks like that will continue on because he will not change his above mentioned behavior or philosophy and so neither will his base so therefore the virus marches on.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If you recall, the plan as set forth originally was to "flatten the curve." That meant that we wanted to lengthen the time that the pandemic ran in order to keep the hospital system from being overwhelmed. We did that. Somewhere along the line the week minded believed that we could completely stop this disease. You can't have a free society, a healthy economy and not experience new infections. I think that the Trump administration kept the hospital systems from being overwhelmed even though there had been inadequate preparations by a number of government entities especially on the state level. The death rate from this virus continues to decline. This is probably because the average age of those infected has lowered (apparently some blue state governors ran out of nursing home victims) and better treatment of the disease for those hospitalized. Ramping up the production of PPEs and ventilators and closing the borders, is effective leadership, wearing a mask only satisfies the shallow morons or don't know what real leadership is. They live in a world of symbols and platitudes.

12. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

An interesting read:

As COVID-19 Cases Surge, Daily Deaths and the Case Fatality Rate Continue To Fall

13. Motorcity Gator

The "rate" of death per new infections may be falling but the virus is not just "harmless" to 99% of people it infects.
    Hospitals in different states are running out of ICU beds for Covid-19 patients and the rates of new infections are out of control.... setting new records every day and explain to the families of 70,000 more deaths to come in the next three months how that death rate is down and the "death curve" is flattened and to those who get very sick and wind up in the hospital with long term damage to their lungs how the death rate flattens the curve.
    Or explain that lower death rate to college football coaches, players and administrators who cancel the upcoming season of the beloved sport of ours that brought us all together years ago.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

A week or so the fake news main stream media was reporting that the ICU beds in Texas were at capacity. In actuality, 1,200 of the 7,000 ICU beds were being used. With the easing of restrictions, hospitals started taking more and more elective surgeries. They were the ones using the ICU beds. Stop listening to those lying bastards on CNN. They want to get the robots to believe that the sky is falling.

15. Motorcity Gator

Gipper you have my blessing to be the new leader and get that message out to the powers that be in college football, all other sports, karaoke bars, strip clubs, restaurants and schools.
    Maybe they will listen to you and Fox News and give up this fake news crap that's making none of us sick, making us have to wear masks in hot weather and is totally screwing up our life. I'm pretty damned tired of it myself too.

I agree with you.... can you get that done?

And being the influential connected guy you are I'll be looking for you on TV in August on the floor of the convention in Jacksonville celebrating Trump's nomination with all of the thousands of his supporters that he wants to see partying with each other in the flesh with no masks or social distancing.... singing and yelling out his name in triumph and adulation.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  16. George Krebs

The mission was to flatten the curve. That mission was completed better than could have been imagined. The problems have been at the state level. Cuomo not protecting the most vulnerable in assisted living centers. DeSantis and Abbott being way too quick to open up. California apparently having no guidance whatsoever. Governors not having any pandemic plan in place and woefully understocked on PPE right from the start. It has also been completely politicized at the state and local levels and this pandemic has exposed most of then Mayors of our major cities as incompetent idiots, not worth a bucket of piss. You could argue that Murphy and DeWine have done as good as anyone at the statehouse level.

Read about the pandemic of 1917-18. This is very similar. And remember, there is no absolute cure for a virus.

My question is where did this virus come from and was it intentional? And is it possible we are being re-infected with all of the stuff we import from China?

17. Motorcity Gator

With the virus running out of control and like you said in states that opened up too soon like Az, Tx. and Fl. when and where did we flatten the curve?.... and if like Trump says we've got this now.... things are better then why does the sports world most especially college football not get it and carry on with their season plans? It's flattened.... under control! Just like Trump, Pence and Desantis are saying..... Jacksonville is ready for a full on convention.
    I just don't get it..... it's 99 percent harmless and yet we won't have college football?? Why are the coaches, players, ADs and college presidents being so damned political and trying to hurt Trump in this Plandemic??? It's Kung Flu and nothing more and they have us by the balls for sure.
    I'm also not sure that I'm taking any vaccine they come up with.... it may show political weakness and it could be they are implanting a chip inside me that I don't want etc. etc.... and Bill Gates may wind up having insidious control over me.
    To hell with Fauci and his band of medical know-it-alls who would ruin us..... Trump knows more about the virus in his little finger than all of them collectively put together.... well Trump and his trusted source for all worldly medical information.... Fox News.

18. George Krebs

There is just no discussing anything with you which is sad. You can fit Trump and FOX News into any topical comment. And before you nominate Fauci for sainthood, remember his prediction that we would have 250,000 deaths by June 1 and his assertion a couple of months ago that wearing masks was like futile? The politicization of this virus is the biggest topic and you have a Ph.D in that skill set.

19. Motorcity Gator

Fauci did say that surprisingly back on March 8th because he was concerned about there being enough PPEs for the healthcare workers and also that no one was sure how much at that time it would prevent the virus from spreading because there weren't as many walking around that were infected but he has for most of the time since then been a big proponent of masks and social distancing as have all medical experts been. In fact I just saw Fauci on TV recommending that state governments make it mandatory to wear masks in public.
    In any event also in that time countries that have gotten a much better handle on flattening their curve and reducing rates of infections have been religiously wearing masks and social distancing.
    The careless I don't give a damn alternative is going to get the results we have in the U.S. today and that is a virus that is running wild with new infections and closing down our fun.... including most especially the sports world.
    CNN is not making the decisions for college football..... not by a longshot and as I have said anything that fucks with the college football season and threatens to cancel it just pisses me off immensely. Hey I just saw the clip of Trump mandating that all schools will reopen so if he can do that why can't he get some lead under college football's collective candy asses and get them on the field?

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

75% of parents in a recent NY survey want their kids back in school in Sept. I guess that they're all uncaring assholes like Trump. The article Stu cited notes that the American Academy of Pediatricians recommends that the kids go back to school. Remember when the ranters kept saying "FOLLOW THE SCIENCE." Guess that only applies of it's politically expedient. We know scientists will lie if they have an ulterior motive. I give you Fauci. We know that the CDC completely **** in the bed with the first batch if tests that they came up with. We know that they withdrew approval of the use of hydroxichloraquin because of cardiac concerns. That danger was debunked by the Henry Ford study. Then there's the WHO. None the less we were constantly told to follow the science. Now when the science says that there is practically zero danger of serious illness with Covid in kids and little risk of them spreading the disease, the same ones who pointed to the science now, want to ignore it. It's not the science, it's the politics.