College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"They've had a large number of positive COVID tests and not everyone is asymptomatic - you may find this hard to believe because we're football coaches and supposedly we're all fire-and-brimstone, rub-dirt on it, run-through-brick-wall personality types, but there is very real concern about our exposure, taking it home to our families, spreading it through our communities and impacting our loved ones," this U-M program insider shared.
    "No one is excited to travel. No one wants to get on a plane. No one wants to stay in a hotel."

Of course Trump is saying the virus is harmless to 99% of the people who contract it so these football coaches are a bunch of pansies..... nothing to worry about according to our careless heartless leader.
    COVID-19 damages lungs of asymptomatic and most severe patients alike, scientists believe

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Bobda, this is not going to be a season to remember for most of us, I am afraid! The Big Ten new Comish has not been very talkative.:(

3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Don, I really am skeptical that there will be a 2020 season. Right now the NBA and MLB are having major issues with Covid cases and these are professionals leagues that have the financial resources to
    try and create a Covid free bubble for their players. Considering how highly social most college students are and the close contact that is inherent in college football, I suspect once fall practices start, players will become infected and the universities will shut down football for the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Motorcity Gator

So really.... if 99% of cases are "totally harmless" what are these big bad athletes worried about?

"Trump returned to his now familiar and baseless complaint that America has a high caseload because it performs more tests. “Now we have tested almost 40m people. By so doing, we show cases, 99% of which are totally harmless. Results that no other country can show because no other country has the testing that we have, not in terms of the numbers or in terms of quality.”

Obviously Trump is just spouting out falsehoods as usual that diminish his supporter's concern and caution over the virus and these national sports figures including professional athletes and college football coaches aren't buying in to his ********.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Backroom please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Motorcity Gator

Our very culture... most especially our enjoyment of sports and especially college football on this board is being threatened by this coronavirus.
    You don't believe the two are inextricably interconnected? How can you even discuss college footall 2020 or any sports viewing for that matter without bringing in Covid-19 into the discussion?
    This isn't political rallies with masses of unprotected people we're talking about here.

Unless the college football world decides to listen to Dr. Trump instead of Dr. Fauci then we are screwed as far as having a CFB 2020 season.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Stu, I followed Terry’s recommendation and use the ignore function that Terry discussed in a pinned note in the Back Room.

Obsessive, attention seeking behavior feeds off responses to survive. I saw no further reason to continue engaging with someone who participates in malignant trolling while disingenuously trying to portray himself as being interested in good faith dialogue. The ignore button provides an effective remedy to eliminate that crap when browsing the board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I have Dave on Ignore as well, don't miss him at all. But that said as much as possible let's try to keep this sports only on this board. It's hard not to talk about Covid since it has such a big impact on sports but we don't have to talk about the political side here on the Sports board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Motorcity Gator

It's almost useless to talk about sports in America today without addressing why we don't have it and most likely won't have it.
    Everything contributing to that pisses me off immensely.

10. Terry O'Keefe

On a recruiting note I see that OU picked up the verbal of the #1 dual threat QB, Caleb Williams from Gonzaga HS in Washington DC. They have a loaded QB room right now. They have highly rated QB's from the classes. They have the #1 rated dual threat from 2019, the #7 rated dual threat from 2020 and also a kid named Tanner Mordecai who wasn't esp highly rated but who has developed and will be in the mix for the starting job this year, although most expect Spencer Rattler the #1 rated kid from 2019 will win the job. Can you say transfers?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Motorcity Gator

12. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that I see how any contact sports can be played short of keeping players completely isolated in a bubble environment, as the NBA, I think, is planning on doing, until this thing either burns itself out or we get an effective vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry... not saying this portends anything for the football season, but they just announced that the State Fair is cancelled for 2020. So... there won't be quite as many beers consumed before any games at the Cotton Bowl.
    I'm crushed. I've attended the Fair every year since about 1992. Might be longer, but I'm not sure.
    No deep fried goodness this fall. :(:(:(

14. Motorcity Gator

I handled auto show transportation for Ford, GM and Chrysler for many years and the first good sized show of the show season was the Texas State Fair at the Cotton Bowl/Fairgrounds. Had many a client lunch at the Old Mill there on the grounds and spent many extremely hot days out on the tarmac outside the Automotive Building supervising the trucks unloading crated exhibits for the show in the shadow of Big Tex. Best job I will ever have in my life.... killed by the recession of 2008.
    In fact late September of 2008 was my last time there and now the Texas State Fair Auto Show this year joins a long list of shows cancelled in a trade show industry that has been devastated by Covi-19.

15. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Scott, you know that deep fat fried food aren't a state secret, and there are ways of making unhealthy heart attack bombs right in your own home, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

FOOL!
    The oil at the Fair has been recycled for generations! You can't replicate that kind of aging and flavor at home!
    :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

there is no virus risk if you go acquire some in the dead of night old man.

18. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder what they will do about the game? Road game for both OU and Texas, I wonder if they'll have it without fans?

Chris Del Conte has released a statement:
    “Though we certainly respect and understand the decision of the folks in Dallas on their cancellation of this year’s State Fair of Texas, we fully anticipate that our annual Red River Showdown with Oklahoma will be played in the Cotton Bowl and are continuing to prepare for that. We know the decision to cancel the fair was an extremely difficult one for everyone involved and that we all are dealing with a very fluid situation during these unprecedented times. But, as we’re doing with all of our fall season planning, we will continue to monitor the situation closely, work through contingencies and make the best possible decisions we can with the health, safety and well-being of everyone involved as our number one priority.”

19. Terry O'Keefe

ESPN SportsCenter has a Top 10 moments in College Football History, a tall task for a game that has been played over 150 years. No surprise that all of the top 10 moments come after 1960. The #1 moment in College Football History was Vince Young's run for the TD and the Win and the 2005 Nat'l Title. I imagine there could be a lot of moments that fans of other teams feel are equal to or greater than that!

20. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Well here we go with the PC stuff again. Apparently they don't like "Fighting Irish" now! Give me a freakin break...please.

• Agree Agree x 1