Notre Dame Winter/Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Like a lot of schools Black Alumni and players are speaking out about their experiences on campus and asking schools for change. ND is no different. ND Black Alumni Assn has started a petition to get the ND Administration to address these issues.

Reading this story it seems like a thoughtful outreach for change. When I read some of the stories, not in this article but other sources, it reminds me that things we say and do that we think are just fine are not always perceived that way by minority groups.

Notre Dame's Black Alumni start petition to end racism on campus

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The usual nonsense. A quota system based on skin color in Administration. A complete 180 from Dr. King's " judge us by the content of our character and not the color of our skin". An open invitation to everyone who thinks they may have been slighted to come forward and put a bias tag on it. What crap!

But now that I think upon it maybe I have a case against ND. I wanted to be recruited and signed for football but they didn't need any LBs who were 5'10 and 175 lbs and ran a 4.9. Or so they say!

3. Terry O'Keefe

Irish pickup a OL verbal from Minn, Joe Alt. He's not a highly ranked OL, but he comes from a good family. His dad played OL in the NFL, but son is a development project as a 3 star OL. But as we all know sometimes these kids become stars. If he works hard in the weight room and pays attention in practice he could be one of those kids who really develops by their Jr and Senior years and everybody points to them as why star ratings don't mean anything! At least that's the hope!!

4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

"Joe Alt didn’t even need to see Notre Dame in person for the 2021 Minnesota offensive lineman to say he’s seen enough.

Alt just announced his commitment to the Irish, giving Notre Dame its third offensive line commit and 12 current pledges in the Class of 2021.

“Overall, it has a great academic program and great football, so it’s the best of both worlds,” Alt told Irish Sports Daily of his decision.

“Obviously, the faith aspect. I’ve grown up in a Catholic school my whole life, so it has that piece as well.”

The Minneapolis native is also confident Notre Dame will help him achieve his ultimate goal of playing at the highest level.

“They also develop players, so everything works out, you can go play in the NFL and if not, you’ll have a great education to fall back on,” the 6-foot-7, 245-pounder said.

“You know you put in the work to get there and they’re going to help you use that work you put in prior to and help you elevate that to another level and allow you to play and play well as well as getting a good job and being successful in life.”

The Totino-Grace High School standout chose the Irish over offers from schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern and Rutgers among others.

The son of former Pro Bowl offensive lineman John Alt is excited to have the recruiting process behind him.

“It’s such a relief because it does get busy at times. Going into my senior season, knowing I have that decision behind me, I can just go play and have fun with my team for one last year and really get down to focusing on the next four years.”

This is the kind of kid that you regret not recruiting a couple years later when he is a standout at another school.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Sounds like the Irish will end up de facto ACC football member should the season play. For basketball the Irish are full members and have been partial members in football. If and when the ACC goes to conf only they will reportedly include the Irish.

We've already lost the Wisconsin game and it's expected we will lose the USC and Stanford games. No word on Navy, W. Michigan and Arkansas games.

6. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

You would think that after all this time Desmond Howard would understand why Notre Dame wants to remain independent in Football but no, he still doesn't get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Not really a Notre Dame thing, but when JT Daniels got immediate eligibility at Georgia for no apparent good reason, I wondered about former Irish QB Phil Jurkovec at BC. Then I saw that Ohio State transfer to BC, Jalen Gill, was granted immediate eligibility for again no apparent reason. All this leads me to believe that Jurkovec will be granted immediate eligibility, unless he hasn't pressed his case to the NCAA with a lawyer.

I kind of hope Phil gets to play right away, seemed like a good kid at ND. It didn't work out for him and I'm not a big fan of no penalty for transfers, but if they are going to give it out to JT Daniels and the Gill kid then Phil deserves it as much as anybody.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I think this was a good answer to the "Fighting Irish" nickname and any controversy it might engender.

From Jack Swarbrick.

From a wide-ranging interview this week on many subjects. I'm just picking the last question:

Q: What’s your take on people debating the Fighting Irish nickname and whether that’s something that should endure?

JS: “What we’re stressing in the current environment with our students is: We want to talk about everything. We want to talk about any issue or any concern, especially relating to social justice and the treatment of other people.

“So it would be inconsistent with that core message not to say we welcome people’s thoughts on this. We view it very positively. We don’t view it as having a negative connotation and certainly our experiences in Ireland have tended to reinforce that view.

“But I understand some people might have a different view and I welcome them expressing those views.”

9. Terry O'Keefe

ND will be testing again as a prelude to the next phase which starts on Monday at ND. Workouts go from voluntary to mandatory and then the following week they can start team activities. The Irish have been very lucky so far with only 1 positive test, and the last round yielded no positive tests. Hard to imagine that will continue and it's a tribute to the players that they have stuck to the protocols, but they are young and as they move from their current situation where they are living at the Morris Inn some what "enbubbled" to going back to a more normal situation with dorms/apts/etc.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Congrats to the Men's Basketball team. I'm always glad when our student athletes do well in the classroom of course, would have like to have seen this bunch do better on the court though. To be fair there were some circumstances beyond their control that contributed to that, injuries, transfers, stuff like that.

The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team has earned a Team Academic Excellence Award from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) for the fourth consecutive year. The award requires a team to compile a minimum combined GPA of 3.0 for the 2019-20 season.

For the 2019-20 spring semester, the Irish boasted a 3.555 grade point average and a 3.338 average for the entire season. Each of Notre Dame’s 11 players earned a grade point average above 3.0 during the most recent school academic calendar year. In addition, the Irish conferred four undergraduate degrees (exiting seniors John Mooney and T.J. Gibbs along with rising fifth-year seniors Juwan Durham and Nikola Djogo) and a one-year Master’s of Business Administration degree for exiting fifth-year senior Rex Pflueger.

The Irish join Villanova, Seton Hall and Stanford as the only power conference men’s basketball teams to earn NABC Team Academic Excellence Awards in each of the last four seasons.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish reported 103 student athletes tested with no positive outcomes. I don't know what exactly the Irish are doing to keep these kids safe but for now it is working. Of course the kids have to buy in to the protocols as well so kudo's to them. The real test will come when the regular students return and the athletes move out of the Morris Inn and into dorms and other living arrangements.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Irish pick up a DB from California. Chance Tucker, wasn't that long ago that a lot of recruitniks thought that he would be going to Washington. But our new ace recruiter, Mike Mickens, gets another DB. He's really stepped in and done a great job, when he took the job we were already on the no-visit rule that we continue to be under and so he's never been able to meet these kids or host them on campus visit them at their home or anything. Yet he's being successful. I hope he can coach'em!

13. Terry O'Keefe

To be truthful, while I was glad we got a verbal from Chance Tucker, I also thought this is why we are a good program and not a great program. While the elite (Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia) rarely take on a 3 star kid, we do and hopefully they will develop into excellent college players. While again the elites have players who will likely develop into 1st-3rd round NFL draft choices. Talent disparity keeps us from being elite.

Here is an evaluation of him, and why he is better than his 3 star ranking. I hope it's accurate.

Notre Dame just landed a very good cornerback prospect in Chance Tucker‍ yesterday. He’s a polarizing prospect to some, though. Mostly because of his 3-star ranking on 247Sports and Rivals. (I have him graded out at 91 and a 4-star)

Tucker very well could have been a player who was set to take a leap with his ranking after attending camps/combines, 7 on 7 tournaments, or running more during track season. Like everyone else in the 2021 and 2022 cycles, he didn’t get that opportunity because of the pandemic.

I think Notre Dame did a great job with their evaluation of Tucker and have done so with several other prospects in the last few cycles who have seen their rankings surge in the right direction after the spring and summer.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Irish pick up a big OL for 2022, Joey Tanona from Zionsville Indiana. He is a a highly rated 4 star tackle.

15. Terry O'Keefe

RIP Regis Philbin, the quintessential Notre Dame man.

16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish pickup Georgia TE Jack Nickel, he's a solid 4 star TE, ranked in the ESPN 300 and is the #12 rated TE in the country by 247. He's our 2nd verbal in the 2022 class.

18. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

19. Terry O'Keefe

Jack Nickel is so good there is a special defense designed for him.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Another verbal, this one is Louisiana RB Logan Diggs a 3 star in the 2021 class.