Civil War of Stupidity

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Stu Ryckman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

There is no limit to books about Custer and the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I lost count of my own reading at 34 books. It goes on forever. If you're new to the subject, I suggest one of two books:

Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell
    or
    The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I am going to start with the Philbrick book. I enjoyed In the Heart of the Sea, his style and attention to detail. Then I will try the Ambrose recommendation. Book reports to follow.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the Krebs Notes.
    :D

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

These were the Sioux - by Mari Sandoz

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Private fireworks are illegal in Milwaukee but from 7 pm to 2 am, our neighborhood sounded like Berlin 1945. Same law in California and LA said, “ You wanna see fireworks?” :eek:

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Same here in the City of Houston

7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

All of the motherland can shoot off fireworks, move out of the blue states folks.

8. Scott88

Wait til the Crisis managers show up to chastise them all for shooting off fireworks!!

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

10. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder what will happen to Stone Mountain? It's some what easy to remove statues and pictures, but what do they do with something carved into the side of a mountain? Dynamite it? I guess they could cover it up somehow.

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

re: fireworks

That's the view from the KTLA helicopter with a long-range telephoto lens.
    They learned long ago that if they fly too low the Mexicans will shoot them down. That view is on the other side of the mountains from me. Here in the High Desert, it's worse. Both Apple Valley and Lancaster put on their own fireworks shows, despite threats from Gov. Gruesome Newsome. There were so many explosions here that the dog still won't go outside.

12. Bobdawolverweasel

My dog snoozed through them but at the dog park yesterday there were a bunch of owners discussing how the 4th turns their dogs into PTSD cases.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Who said Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life? These guys on an Oregon beach over the weekend were drunk and stupid.

7 men arrested after allegedly harassing Black family on Oregon beach

14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

You can't fix stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Bobdawolverweasel

If you need further confirmation that we have reached that part of a pandemic when people go insane from the death,illnesses and stress caused by the contagion, read this tweet from a mayor of a Massachusetts town:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bobdawolverweasel

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Per my most recent post, we're getting real close. It's the American Flag and the Constitution with me, after that things might get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Scott88

I found this to be in interesting theory on what's happening, and when it started.
    I absolutely agree that far too much power has been taken from the legislative process and give to judges and bureaucracies.

The Roots of Our Partisan Divide

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

If the author tried to deliver this address at Michigan rather than Hillsdale, the entrenched activis groups in Ann Arbor would have done their worst to stop him from speaking which would prove his point about the authoritarian culture that has taken root in this country.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Well UT Austin made an announcement on how they are going to respond to the Players demands. I think it's a good plan. I'll be eager to hear what the Players think

A More Diverse and Welcoming Campus

UT interim president Jay Hartzell released a letter explaining how Texas would “promote diversity, inclusion and equity and fully support our Black students.”

Highlights
    • Work with a group of students, faculty, staff and alumni to allocate a multimillion-dollar investment from Athletics’ revenue to worthy university programs — whether on or off campus – that work to recruit, attract, retain and support Black students. We expect that our investments will include at a minimum:
      • Expanding our presence and outreach in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and elsewhere to better recruit outstanding high school students from underrepresented groups. We will raise additional funds to establish more private scholarships specifically dedicated to recruiting students such as those 1,900 Black students who were accepted here and chose to go elsewhere.
      • Providing significant new resources to expand programs that provide transformative opportunities for future Black leaders, including some of the outstanding work already being done within the university.
      • In conjunction with the Texas Exes and using a new program within Texas Athletics as a pilot project, launch an effort to improve our students’ ability to position themselves for post-graduation success. This will maximize the impact of our vast alumni network and corporate relationships.
    • Rename the Robert L. Moore Building as the Physics, Math and Astronomy Building and provide historical explanations within the building about why past university leaders chose to name the space for Professor Moore.
    • Honor the Precursors, the first Black undergraduates to attend The University of Texas at Austin, by commissioning a new monument on the East Mall. This will be the central feature of a larger space dedicated to the pioneering students and faculty members who helped move the university toward becoming more inclusive.
    • Erect a statue for Julius Whittier, the Longhorns’ first Black football letterman, at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium.
    • At the suggestion of the Jamail family, rename Joe Jamail Field at the stadium in honor of Texas’ two great Heisman Trophy winners, Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams, two Longhorn legends with a record of commitment to the university.
    • Own, acknowledge and teach about all aspects of the origins of “The Eyes of Texas” as we continue to sing it moving forward with a redefined vision that unites our community.
      • “The Eyes of Texas,” in its current form, will continue to be our alma mater. Aspects of its origin, whether previously widely known or unknown, have created a rift in how the song is understood and celebrated, and that must be fixed. It is my belief that we can effectively reclaim and redefine what this song stands for by first owning and acknowledging its history in a way that is open and transparent.
      • Together, we have the power to define what the Eyes of Texas expect of us, what they demand of us, and what standard they hold us to now. "The Eyes of Texas" should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history. Only then can we reimagine its future, and I look forward to partnering with our campus community to do just that.